- The first time you apply Overtone, you should leave it in for 20 minutes.
- As it’s a coloring conditioner that is used every time the hair is washed, you should leave it on for 5 to 7 minutes to extend the duration of the color.
- Even if you leave it on your hair for longer, either in the first application or when you use it when washing your hair, you won’t get a more intense color. The hair has a maximum limit of absorption of the hair dye pigments.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Does oVertone Cover Gray Hair 100%, or not at all?
Do you feel better?
Bravo! Because no matter how long you leave the oVertone on your hair, nothing will happen.
Your hair will not burn or weaken. As oVertone is a semi-permanent hair dye, it contains no chemicals such as ammonia or peroxide.
Also, you won’t notice any change in color if you leave the oVertone hair dye in for longer.In other words, if you applied a lilac shade of oVertone, you get eggplant-colored hair. It’s as simple as that.
And if that wasn’t enough, using oVertone as a conditioner for maintenance means moisturizing your hair with ingredients like flaxseed and almond oil in every wash.
Now, the question is, why would you want to leave the oVertone in for longer than 20 minutes, which is what the manufacturer indicates?
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Is oVertone permanent, or does it wash out completely?
The pigments of the Overtone are very intense and have extra staying power. So, it ensures complete coverage on the surface of the hair.
There’s only one truth.
Tabla de Contenidos
- Ideally, oVertone should be left on for 20 minutes. However, if you leave it on for longer, nothing serious will happen.
- How long to leave the oVertone on in the first application
- How long to leave the oVertone on during color maintenance
- oVertone is safe to use even if you leave it on your hair for longer.
Ideally, oVertone should be left on for 20 minutes. However, if you leave it on for longer, nothing serious will happen.
Why 20 minutes?
Because that’s how long the pigments need to adhere to your hair fiber. As a semi-permanent hair color, it doesn’t penetrate the core of your hair fiber. Instead, it only forms a film on the strand that changes the color of your hair.
Also, you don’t need to leave it on longer.
If you want intense color, choose an intense hair dye. Overtone offers you a palette of more than 40 shades to choose the one you like best.
- If you choose dark purple, you’ll reach that shade in just 20 minutes.
- If you choose a magenta, you’ll have your hair bursting with color in just 20 minutes.
This is one of the most important features of this semi-permanent hair color. The color you choose is the result you’ll get. So, you won’t have to do any extra process.
To achieve the best results with Overtone, you should respect the instructions for use. These instructions differ a little, whether we talk about the first application or maintenance of color.
Remember that Overtone is a coloring conditioner. You can use it in each wash to extend the color. Therefore, we will start with the times for the first application.
How long to leave the oVertone on in the first application
- Comb your previously washed dry hair and separate it into 4 sections holding them with the clips.
- With your gloves on, start applying the Overtone coloring conditioner on the back sections. You can use the hair dye brush to facilitate the distribution of the hair dye.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes. Remember that it isn’t necessary to leave it on for longer.
- Rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water DON’T USE SHAMPOO OR CONDITIONER.
- Dry your hair and style it as usual.
As you can see, the application is very simple as is the maintenance.
For maintenance, you can regulate the intensity of the color. What does this mean?
- If you applied a shade that you find too strong, dark, or intense, you can leave the oVertone on for less time when you wash your hair.
You should keep this in mind because many women look for alternative solutions such as bleaching or fading out. In fact, if you apply Overtone, all you have to do is deposit less pigment with each wash.
Remember that this hair dye is also a conditioner. So, you should replace it with the one you usually use according to the color you have chosen.
How long to leave the oVertone on during color maintenance
- In the shower, wash your hair using a chemical-free shampoo.
- Apply Overtone and leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how intense you want it to be.
- Rinse your hair with plenty of warm water.
- Dry and style as usual.
If you follow these times strictly, you’ll notice that the color lasts longer, and you’ll always look vibrant.
Now, if one day, for any reason, you leave the hair dye in your hair longer, nothing will happen.
oVertone is safe to use even if you leave it on your hair for longer.
That’s right, if you leave Overtone in your hair for more than 20 minutes, you won’t suffer any consequences.
Overtone is not only a semi-permanent hair dye. It’s also an extra moisturizing conditioner.
Another added benefit?
Surely if you’ve applied a very light shade of oVertone, you’ve bleached your hair beforehand. And you may have noticed that it’s drier and more dehydrated.
Therefore, if you use Overtone as a conditioner, you’ll extend the color, and you’ll also nourish and moisturize your hair.
Of course, it won’t be as if you’d never bleached your hair. If you add a hair care routine to Overtone, such as moisturizing treatments every two weeks, your hair will definitely recover.
Also, leaving the conditioner hair dye in for more than ten minutes won’t darken your hair nor will it become saturated or turn into another color.
All in all, I must give you a warning: if you leave the Overtone conditioner hair dye in your hair for longer than 10 minutes, you’ll find it harder to rinse out. Perhaps, for a few days, your hair will continue to expel the excess color.
Now you know. If you leave the oVertone hair dye for longer, either in the first application or during maintenance, nothing will happen to the health of your hair or color.
Although the semi-permanent hair dyes have a certain time to deposit the pigment on the hair fiber, oVertone offers a coloring conditioner that doesn’t damage the hair or darken the tone, even if you leave it for an hour.