Do you have dark brown hair and you want to dye it a lighter brown without bleaching it?
It seems to me like one of the smartest decisions you could make.
I assure you that it is possible to lighten your dark brown hair without needing to run the risk of damaging your hair with chemical products.
Don’t let those videos that you find on the Internet where they go from dark hair to light hair in five minutes and they are all smiles fool you.Bleaching is a process that damages your hair, if it’s not done by a professional.
It’s that simple.
They are various stages that your hair goes through when you bleach it.
- The first, is that each one of the cuticles swells and opens, leaving it exposed to damage.
- When the cuticles are open, the chemicals used in the bleaching eliminate the underlying color in the hair, which can cause damage to the hair cortex.
- This means breakage and split ends.
- Even after bleaching, your hair becomes more porous which means it loses more moisture and required more force to hydrate it.
So, should you avoid lightening your dark brown hair?
But, how do you lighten your hair without bleaching?
There are some safer and healthier alternatives to lighten your dark brown hair, with a lot less risk than bleaching.
Do you want to know what they are?
Because today I will tell you:
- 5 natural methods to lighten your hair
- How to care for your hair before and after lightening it
- 5 métodos naturales para aclarar tu cabello
Tabla de Contenidos
5 natural and infallible methods to lighten your hair without damaging it
Before revealing to you the five methods based on natural ingredients to lighten your hair, let me warn you about one thing.
With these methods, you will not lighten your hair in two hours. I mean, if you want to impress your boyfriend tonight with lighter hair, I recommend a wig.
Because these methods are slow. Safe for your hair, but slow. And maybe, you will need to apply them to your hair more than once to get the tone that you want.
Having cleared that up, let’s move on to see what are the marvelous elements that will help you lighten your hair risk-free.
Lemon is one of the most popular natural lightening agents, in addition to being easy to get, and if that weren’t enough, economical.Now, it’s important to use fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and not the one that you buy in a bottle in the supermarket.
Because fresh-squeezed lemon juice maintains a higher concentration of citric acid, a developing agent similar to peroxide.
To lighten your dark brown hair with lemon, follow these steps:
- Mix equal parts of fresh lemon juice and water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution over your whole head, or over the areas that you want to lighten, until it is wet.
- Sit in the sun for an hour, because the UV rays from the sun are what activate the developing process.
- Can you choose to leave the lemon in your hair, or rinse it out after having spent sufficient time under the sun.
- After, apply a deep conditioner, like coconut oil, to combat the acidity of the juice.
If you don’t get the results that you want, repeat the process weekly, and you will see how you get a gradual lightening effect over time.
How I love honey!
Sometimes I think that I’m the reincarnation of Winnie the Pooh. But I became even more of a fan of honey when I discovered the benefits that it has for your hair.
Why does honey help you lighten your hair?
Because it contains hydrogen peroxide.
To lighten your hair with honey, you should:
- Mix 1/3 cup of honey with a little bit of you regular conditioner. Apply the solution on your wet hair and massage.
- Put on a shower cap and let the mixture sit overnight.
- Wash your hair in the morning as you normally would.
Similar to what happens with the lemon, it will take a few treatments for you to be able to see significant lightening results.
Yes, just as you read it.
The same hydrogen peroxide that you use to disinfect a cut or a scratch can be an excellent method to lighten your hair.
In addition to being inexpensive, you can find it at any pharmacy or supermarket.
Due to the fact that peroxide is pretty strong, it’s a good idea to do a test before you use it to lighten your hair.
Do a test on any piece of your hair, before using it on your whole head.
Once you’ve done the test, and you like the results you should:
- Combine equal parts hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle.
- Spray your wet hair and comb it through for even distribution.
- Allow the solution to penetrate the hair for 15 minutes.
- Apply a deep-conditioning treatment to your hair after using this method because peroxide can really dry it out.
Apple cider vinegar
Do you know the therapeutical uses for apple cider vinegar on your hair?
Well, in addition to working as a cream for your damaged scalp and eliminating the accumulation of products in your hair, it can help you lighten your hair.
- Add ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar to a cup of warm water.
- Apply the solution immediately after washing your hair with shampoo.
- Let the solution penetrate your hair for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse completely.
Like the previous methods, repeat the process until you get the tone you want.
Cinnamon and honey
Cinnamon has natural whitening effects, but it also is excellent for your hair because it contains fiber, calcium, and iron.
It is best to use it with other whitening agents like honey, for example.
- Mix a bowl of honey with a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of cinnamon.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, combing it if necessary to cover your hair uniformly.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap and let the solution sit all night.
- In the morning, wash your hair.
How to care for your hair before and after lightening it
Even though all the methods here are healthy, it is always best to care for your hair before, during, and after lightening it.
Care before lightening your hair
- Before lightening your hair, use a deep conditioner or mask for the hair, because this will help you moisturize it to prevent it from drying out and breaking.
- Choose the correct color for your hair before starting the lightening process. It is important to keep in mind the tone of your skin and how the lighter color will look in it.
Care after lightening your hair
Lightening your hair gradually is possible.
Remember that if you drastically eliminate all of the color from your hair, you can cause a lot of damage, like breakage, split ends and frizz.
Therefore, between each treatment, let your hair rest for at least a week.
- Once you have lightening your hair to the tone that you want, care for your hair, not only because it will me the new color look better, but because you will keep your hair and your scalp healthier.
- I recommend that you use a sulfate-free shampoo because it will keep the moisture of your hair at normal levels.
- You can also incorporate deep hydration masks into your weekly hair care routine.
- Avoid washing your hair so frequently and be mindful of the temperature of the water, because if the temperature is too hot, it can make your hair more fragile and cause breakage.
Do you have greasy hair? I truly understand that it can be torturous to not wash it, because it looks dirty. But, you can always use dry shampoo between washes.
- Everything that has to do with heat can be very damaging to your hair. That’s why you should be careful with hot water, flat irons, and hair dryers.
If they are indispensable in your daily life, use a heat protector product. They aren’t very expensive and your hair will thank you.
Now you know how to lighten your dark hair to light brown without having to run the risk that comes with bleaching.
Rock, paper, scissors, or health hair…
Which of the natural methods will you choose to lighten your hair?