- The least aggressive method to get castor oil out of hair is to allow it to dry completely. During the day, wrap your hair in a towel to absorb the excess oil. At night, place the towel on your pillow to continue absorbing as much as possible. The next morning, simply wash your hair as usual.
- If you can’t wait all night or can’t stand any more castor oil in your hair, you can try washing your hair with soap or pH-balanced shampoo, although they’re more aggressive to the hair fiber and can dry it out.
Actually, there’s a lot of talk about castor oil and its benefits on the hair.
Some say it’s excellent to stimulate hair growth. Others defend it for its moisturizing qualities, and there are even those who say it gives your eyelashes more volume.
But what castor oil does do is deeply moisturize dry hair because its fatty acids can retain moisture, making hair look softer and smoother.
Of course, magic will work in its own right, because if you saturate your hair with castor oil your life can become a living hell when you want to get rid of it.
Castor oil is one of the heaviest oils. You should only use very little of it. Five to eight drops will be more than enough to hydrate your hair.
Did you apply too much castor oil to repair your dry hair and now you can’t get rid of it?
Don’t worry, it’s a common mistake.There’re several methods to get castor oil out of hair, but the first thing you need to do is stay calm. Yes, I know it’s difficult when flies are chasing you everywhere.
You should know that castor oil takes approximately three days to get completely out of hair through washings.
My first piece of advice is to wait and wash your hair during those three days. After all, you applied castor oil to deeply moisturize your hair.
Can’t you wait?
Then, keep reading, because I’ll tell you:
- Why castor oil leaves hair oily
- Three ways to get castor oil out of your hair, from the most harmless to the most aggressive for your hair fiber
After all, as my grandmother would say, “your hair, your decision”.
Tabla de Contenidos
Why castor oil Leaves hair oily
It’s a fact that oils moisturize the hair. That’s why coconut oil, argan oil, rose oil, wheat oil, flax oil, jojoba oil, and castor oil are moisturizers par excellence.
But some of these oils are very heavy, and the hair can’t absorb them. That’s the case with castor oil. Why?
Because it contains a lot of proteins that cling to the hair fiber as if it were the last day of their life.
That’s why you have to be very careful when applying it to your hair:
- Do you want to moisturize your hair and reduce frizz? Apply 5 to 8 drops on mids and ends.
- Do you want to moisturize your roots? Distribute 8 drops on your scalp, massaging intensely.
It’s important not to overdo it if you don’t want to spend several days washing your hair. Is my advice too late?
Then, it’s time to move on to methods to get castor oil out of your hair.
3 ways to get castor oil out of your hair
Why did I decide to offer you three alternatives to get castor oil out of your hair, starting from the mildest?
Because we must not lose sight of the health of our hair. And it should be one of your priorities.
So we’ll start by letting the castor oil soak into your hair fiber. How? Follow me.
1- Allow the castor oil to be absorbed during the day and night.
This method is the simplest, although it’ll require a little patience: once you apply the oil to your hair, you must wait for it to be absorbed.If your hair is too greasy, you can remove the excess with a towel. How?
- After applying the oil, place a towel on your hair for the rest of the day.
- At night, place the towel on your pillow to absorb the excess.
- The next morning, wash your hair with your usual shampoo, hot water, and don’t use any conditioner.
- You can repeat it if necessary.
This method usually works if the excess castor oil isn’t too much. However, it won’t work if you’ve used the whole bottle. In that case, you’ll have to try a more aggressive method.
2- Apply liquid soap to your dry hair.
This method to get the castor oil out of your hair is a little more aggressive than the previous one but more effective. Liquid soap contains special detergents that will remove the oil more easily. Has your hair become stiffer and duller? That’s the effect of soap. There can also be white residues like a kind of dust. If so, wait 48 hours and wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner. This is the most effective method to get castor oil out of hair, but it’s also the most harmful for it. Because the pH-balanced shampoo is used before some hair procedures, such as straightening or keratin, to remove the residues. And it’s called pH-balanced because the only thing it contains is detergent. Yes, detergent, something similar to the one you use for washing dishes.
3- Wash your hair with pH-balanced shampoo.
Has your hair become stiffer and duller? That’s the effect of soap.
There can also be white residues like a kind of dust. If so, wait 48 hours and wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
This is the most effective method to get castor oil out of hair, but it’s also the most harmful for it.
Because the pH-balanced shampoo is used before some hair procedures, such as straightening or keratin, to remove the residues.
And it’s called pH-balanced because the only thing it contains is detergent. Yes, detergent, something similar to the one you use for washing dishes.
- On your dry hair, apply pH-balanced shampoo from root to tip and massage intensely so that it penetrates your hair fiber.
- Wet your hair with hot water and form a lather, leaving it in for 3 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and apply conditioner for 5 minutes.
With this method, you’ll remove the excess castor oil without any problem but you must be very careful and not abuse it.
- Coconut oil is used in small amounts to hydrate the hair, as it’s a heavy and viscous oil.
- If your hair becomes too greasy afterward, try to remove the excess by wrapping it in a towel during the day. At night, place the towel over the sheets so that it continues to absorb the oil.
- If you need to remove the excess oil immediately, you can choose to apply it to your dry hair or use a mild soap or shampoo. But be aware that both will leave your hair drier and duller.
Which of the three methods will you use?