- If you used Colour B4 to remove a brown, light brown, or dark blonde hair dye, your hair could turn ginger. That’s the predominant underlying color in these shades.
- Also, if you have been coloring your hair for many years, it is more difficult to remove the hair dye pigments.
- To neutralize that ginger after using Colour B4, you can choose between three options: blue shampoo for weaker hair, a blue semi-permanent hair color according to the ginger shade you have, or a blue toner if you are an experienced colorist.
Have you ever used ColourB4 to remove a hair dye and, after rinsing it out, discovered in horror that your hair was ginger?
Unfortunately, this is one of the risks of using this permanent color remover. Why?
If your hair is ginger after using Colour B4, it’s obviously because you wanted to remove a light or dark brown hair dye, or even a dark blonde.
When Colour B4 starts to work on the hair, it starts to strip the darker pigments from the old and new hair dyes.
But if you’ve been coloring your hair for a long time, the color is settled inside the hair. So, the pigments resist the removal.
Also, when you apply permanent hair color, the developer lightens your base color by up to two shades.
But you don’t have to worry!
I have several solutions to offer you. Some are simpler, and others are more complicated, but all are very effective.
What should you take into account to choose any of them?
- First, the health condition of your hair. Your hair endured the action of a color remover. Therefore, its internal structure has undergone chemical changes.
- Second, consider some minimal knowledge in coloring to avoid going from ginger to blue hair.
Because the three products you can apply contain blue pigments to neutralize the ginger.
Are you ready to leave the ginger behind?
Let’s get started.
Tabla de Contenidos
- Blue shampoo to remove ginger after Colour B4: solution for damaged hair
- Semi-permanent hair dye to remove the ginger left after using Colour B4: a longer-lasting solution
- Blue toner to remove the resulting ginger after Colour B4: only for those with coloring knowledge
Blue shampoo to remove ginger after Colour B4: solution for damaged hair
Blue shampoo is ideal for removing ginger from weak or brittle hair. It isn’t as aggressive as the methods we’ll see below. There’re even sulfate-free blue shampoos.
It removes ginger because it contains blue pigments that are deposited on the hair fiber to neutralize ginger tones.
Here are some examples of blue toning shampoos:
- FANOLA NO ORANGE SHAMPOO
- MATRIX TOTAL RESULTS BRASS OFF BLUE SHAMPOO
- REDKEN COLOR EXTEND BLUE SHAMPOO
- KERACOLOR CLENDITIONER 3 IN 1
All these shampoos will help you achieve an ashy color after the application of Colour B4.
I have three recommendations to make regarding the use of the blue shampoo:
- Use it two or three times a week
- Leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes
- When not using the blue shampoo, replace it with a sulfate-free shampoo to avoid fading the blue pigments that neutralize the ginger.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Does blue shampoo work on dry hair? How long should you leave it on your hair?
Semi-permanent hair dye to remove the ginger left after using Colour B4: a longer-lasting solution
Semi-permanent hair dye is ideal if you are looking for an alternative to blue shampoo to remove ginger.
It’s also a healthier option for damaged hair because it contains no ammonia and is applied without a developer.
You must carefully choose the shade of the blue semi-permanent hair dye you apply. How do you know which color to choose?
It’s going to be according to your hair’s ginger shade.
To help you decide, I’ll give you a complete list of semi-permanent hair color brands and shades to apply according to the ginger base.
This is one of the most well-known brands because of the strength of its pigments. It lasts more than 20 washes and has a variety of blue shades to choose from.
- If your base is light ginger, you can choose Ballistic Blue
- If your base is medium or dark ginger, you can choose Mood Of Blue
This manufacturer offers multiple variants of blue. It lasts approximately 20 washes.
- If your base is light ginger, you can choose the 196 Soy Blue
- If your base is medium ginger, you can choose 172 Baby Blue
- If your base is dark ginger, you can choose 112 IndigoBlue
Jerome Russell Punky Colour
This is another well-known brand due to the quality of its pigments, its original tones, and for being 100% vegan and cruelty-free.
Punky Colour offers several blue options to choose from:
- If your base is light ginger, you can choose Lagoon Blue
- If your base is medium ginger, you can choose Atlantic Blue
- If your base is dark ginger, you can choose Midnight Blue
Any of these 3 brands of semi-permanent hair color will cover your post-Colour B4 ginger hair.
Be careful and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Don’t overdo the exposure times, and be aware of the intensity of the shade.
The lighter the hair color, the lighter the ginger base must be. Otherwise, it won’t neutralize it.
Blue toner to remove the resulting ginger after Colour B4: only for those with coloring knowledge
Toner is a professional tool that should be applied very carefully. If you overdo the exposure time, your hair may turn blue.
On the other hand, don’t forget that your hair has already been exposed to a chemical process with Colour B4. The toner has to be applied with a 20-volume developer.
This can cause damage to your hair fiber. In that case, you’ll need to repair it with several deep moisturizing treatments.
Do you know the most commonly used toners?
- Pravana Chromasilk Ash Blue
- Schwarzkopf BlondMe T-Steel
- Wella Color Charm T18
The toner is not sold as a kit. You’ll need to buy everything you need before starting the application.
Here’s the list:
- Blue toner of the brand of your choice.
- A 20-volume developer
- Hair dye brush
- Tweezers to hold your hair
- A plastic container
How to apply the toner to remove the resulting ginger after ColourB4
- Separate your damp, detangled hair into four sections, from forehead to nape and ear to ear, holding each section with a hair clip.
- With gloves on, mix 2 parts of a 20-volume developer with 1 part of your chosen toner in the plastic container. Blend until the elements are integrated.
- Loosen one of the sections of your hair and use the hair color brush to apply from root to tip. Repeat on each section to cover all of your hair.
- Then, leave it on for up to 20 minutes. The toner has an immediate effect. So, check the color every 5 minutes to make sure everything is going well.
- Finally, rinse your hair with plenty of lukewarm water until it runs crystal clear. Don’t shampoo! Just apply a small amount of your usual conditioner.
You’ll notice that there is no trace of your ginger hair left.
How long does the toner last? About three weeks. Remember that the toner fades with washing.
Colour B4 promises to remove all permanent hair dye and leave your hair your natural color. However, if you’ve been coloring your hair for many years, it could turn ginger.
To neutralize the ginger, you can choose to use a blue toning shampoo, a blue semi-permanent hair dye, or a blue toner. It’ll depend on the health of your hair and your coloring experience.