- You should use yellow or orange to cancel out purple in your hair, depending on how intense the purple in your hair that you want to cancel out is.
- If you want to cancel out a light purple, you should use an orange color and if you want to cancel out dark purple, you should opt for yellow.
- Once you’ve decided on the color, you can opt to use either toner or dye.
- If you have a lot of experience with coloring your hair, I recommend using a toner, and if you prefer to use a dye, then I’ll teach you exactly how to choose the right number dye to cancel out the purple in your hair.
Fun, bright semi-permanent colors like purple or lilac are fantastic, but sometimes people tire of maintaining them, or they just end up feeling a little bit like an oddball with such colors.
Did you dye your hair purple and now you want to cancel out the color?
But, you’ll also need to keep in mind if you have dark or light purple hair. And once you have that established, all you’ll have left to do is decide how to cancel out the purple.
You’ll have two choices for doing that: using a toner or a dye.
Are you scared?
Don’t be! Even though I can’t tell you it’ll be as easy as pie, the solution for cancelling out purple in your hair is fairly simple.
So, get ready to leave purple behind and keep reading because I’m going to tell you:
- How to cancel out purple in your hair by using a toner
- How to cancel out purple in your hair by using a dye
You’re going to say goodbye to purple hair today.
How to cancel out purple hair with toner
Toner is a tool that you use to cancel out unwanted tones, which usually appear after bleaching or dyeing your hair.
Do you remember the color wheel?
It shows how all the colors have complementary or opposite colors.
- Green cancels out red
- Blue cancels out orange
- Purple cancels out yellow
You can also use those same colors the other way around because opposite colors work both ways:
- Red cancels out green
- Orange cancels out blue
- Yellow cancels out purple
Now if you want to cancel out your purple, you’ll first need to establish what shade of purple it is.
What do I mean by that?
Look at the purple in your hair. Take your time and look at it in as much light as possible.
Is it a light purple or a dark purple? Don’t make this decision lightly because this is what will determine which toner you should choose to cancel out the purple.
- If the purple in your hair is light, then it has more of a blue tone, so you should choose an orange toner.
- If the purple in your hair is dark, then it has a more purple tone, and as such you should choose a yellow toner.
Do you know what the good news is?
Toner works right away. But, at the same time, you need to be really careful about how long you leave it in your hair. Which is why I recommend using toner if you have some experience with coloring your hair.
Ready to cancel out that purple? Let’s start with the ingredients.
- Yellow or orange toner
- 20 volume developer
- Part your hair down the middle and comb through it until no knots remain.
- Mix the tube of orange or yellow toner with the 20 volume developer until the ingredients are completely mixed.
- Put on the gloves and using a dye brush, start to apply the mix from root to ends, covering all of your hair.
- Leave it in for 10-20 minutes, checking on the color every 5 minutes, since toner works immediately.
- Once that time has gone by, rinse your hair with cool water and wash it with just shampoo. Don’t use conditioner.
Toner isn’t permanent, so it will fade as you wash your hair, and you’ll need to touch up your color in about three or four weeks.
You don’t have much experience with coloring your hair?
Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you. So, keep reading.
How to cancel out purple color in your hair with dye
In this case, it’s also very important that you define what is exact purple in your hair, so you choose the right color dye.
Let’s have a look at which dye you’ll use in each case.
Dye for cancelling out light purple hair.
For light purple, it’s best to choose light colors, that way you won’t change whether your hair is dark or light, but you will be able to cancel out the purple, no problem.
You should use dyes with orange tones for light purple.
That color is indicated by the number 4.
- Dark brassy blonde 6.4
- Brassy blonde 7.4
- Light brassy blonde 8.4
- Very light brassy blonde 9.4
Once you’ve chosen the dye you like best for cancelling out your light purple hair, it’s time to use it on your hair, following the instructions that come with your dye to a T, including the amount of time they tell you to leave it in your hair.
When it comes time to touch up the dye, after about four or five weeks, depending on how often you wash your hair, you should use the same color dye with the same brassy tone.
Dye for cancelling out dark purple in your hair.
In this case, the dye’s tone should be gold or yellow, which is identified by the number 3.
Any color dye that has a secondary number of “3” will work on your dark purple hair. The idea is to keep the same level of darkness in your hair and just cancel out the purple, so you could choose:
- Golden brown 4.3
- Light brown 5.3
- Dark blonde 6.3
You can choose any of these colors for your hair, all you’ll need to do is get a color kit in that color and follow the instructions that come with it.
Remember that it’s important to use the mixture first on the middle and ends of your hair and then use the dye on your roots.
After 4-5 weeks have gone by, you’ll need to touch up the dye, so it’s a good idea to write down exactly what brand and number of dye you used so you won’t make any mistakes when it comes time to touch it up.
If you have experience with coloring your hair and you want to cancel out the purple in it, you can use a toner. If you have dark purple hair, you should use a yellow toner and if your hair is light purple, then you’ll need an orange toner.
If you prefer to use a dye, it’s important to choose the right tone, which is indicated by a number on the dye.
For light purple hair, you can dye your hair with a brassy dark blonde 6.4, brassy blonde 7.4, light brassy blonde 8.4 or very light brassy blonde 9.4.
For dark purple, you should dye your hair with golden brown 4.3, light brown 5.3 or dark blonde 6.3.
And now you tell me: What will you use to cancel out the purple in your hair?