- Developer by itself has a slight lightening effect on your hair.
- If you use a 20 volume developer, you would lighten your hair up to one shade. But, if you want to lighten it in two or more shades, you’d need to mix it with bleach powder.
- 20 volume developer is ideal for women with damaged hair that want to gradually lighten it in a safe way for their hair.
The practice of using peroxide to lighten hair is just about as old as the wheel. I’d even say that my grandmother used to use peroxide on her hair when she was a teenager to lighten her light brown hair.
And well, of course, those women that are grandmothers today also liked that sun-kissed look in their hair.
But, it’s not true that if you just douse your hair in peroxide, you’ll end up with platinum blonde hair.
It just doesn’t work like that. Developer has the power to lighten your hair, but of course, it has its limits, and that’s what I want to tell you about today.
So, I’ll tell you:
- When you can use a 20 volume developer by itself
- How to use 20 volume developer to lighten your hair
- How to take care of your hair after you lighten it with a developer
Tabla de Contenidos
When should you use a 20 volume developer by itself
We’ve all heard of bleaching your hair, which is a chemical process that, by mixing a few ingredients, you’re able to get rid of natural pigments in your hair.
By getting rid of some of those natural pigments, you end up lightening your hair.
In the bleaching process, you usually use a 30 volume developer and bleach powder because you want to lighten your hair at least two shades.
And, of course, that can do some serious damage to your hair.
Are you trying to lighten your hair in just one shade with the smallest amount of risk possible to your hair?
This is ideal for women who want a more gradual change and whose hair is damaged because by using the developer without the bleach powder, your hair fiber won’t suffer so much damage. Do you know why?
Because what causes the most damage in the bleaching process is the bleach powder, which is responsible for leaving your hair prone to breaking and dry.So, if you want to lighten your hair one shade with just a small amount of damage, you can use a 20 volume developer on it without needing to mix it with bleach powder.
Now, you can’t just dump the developer on your hair and forget about it. There’s a method to make sure you correctly lighten your hair without causing any future problems. And that’s what I’m about to tell you about.
How to lighten your hair using a 20 volume developer by itself
You use the peroxide or 20 volume developer on your hair the same way you would use a bleach mix, so you can use a dye brush or comb to help you with the areas of your hair that you want to lighten.
You can find developer out there in two different forms:
- Liquid peroxide
- Cream peroxide, which manufacturers call creme developer
If you want my advice, I recommend the creme developer for two key reasons.
- Creme developer will lighten and moisturize your hair at the same time. You will see that many options contain aloe vera, silk, and even keratin.
- It’s easier to use on your hair, too, because it won’t drip out of your hair like a liquid would, so it’s easier to handle.
Once you have the 20 volume developer you want to use, you can use it on your hair.
Do you want to know a hair stylist’s trick?
The application process is very easy:
- Use the developer on dry hair in the areas you want to lighten.
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Once that time has gone by, rinse your hair, and then use your normal shampoo and conditioner on it.
You’ll see that your hair is lighter, and your look will be very natural.
How to take care of your hair after lightening it with a 20 volume developer
After any chemical process you do to your hair, whether that is lightening it, bleaching it, or dyeing it, you need to moisturize it.
Even though 20 volume developer doesn’t damage your hair very much, it’s still a good idea to moisture it after the process.
- You can moisturize your hair by using moisturizing keratin masks once a week.
- You can also use coconut oil, argan oil, or silk oil from your roots to your ends to strengthen your hair.
- If you can replace your normal shampoo and conditioner with products that contain keratin to help recuperate your hair fiber’s moisture.
If you want to lighten your hair again using 20 volume developer, it’s always a good idea to wait 3-4 weeks before doing it again, and in that time period, moisturize your hair.
20 volume developer is ideal for women that want to lighten their hair one shade gradually without doing a significant amount of damage to their hair fiber.
Remember to always moisturize your hair once a week after using the developer to help return the moisture it lost during the lightening process.
But, if you hope to lighten your hair more than 2-3 shades, you’ll need to mix the developer with bleach powder and even use a 30 volume developer.
Now tell me: Which form of 20 volume developer are you going to use on your hair? Creme or liquid?