- If your hair is dark brown, virgin, and you want to reach a medium blonde, you can do it in one sitting and it will take you approximately two to three hours.
- Now, if you want to transform that same hair into an extra light blonde, you can also do it in one visit to the salon, but it will take four or five hours. This is because, in this case, you will have to bleach your hair.
- In the case of dark brown hair, the times are completely different, as you’ll need two or three visits to the salon, and between 60 to 90 days to turn it into a blonde.
The time it takes to go from dark brown to blonde hair will always depend on a few factors, such as whether your hair is virgin or previously colored.
Although there are miracle products that ease hair color changes nowadays, like Olaplex for example, no hair can escape the time factor.
If you do, i.e., if you don’t have the patience to make these changes in time, your hair can end up looking bad.
People think you can go from a dark brown to a blonde in the blink of an eye. The truth is that this kind of change is not achieved in forty minutes. Not even on absolutely virgin hair that was never colored before..
This reminds me of two friends who visited the salon a few days ago.
They both had their hair in a shade of brown 3, and both wanted to turn it into blonde. There was just one problem.
One of them, Laura, had been coloring her hair for over two years with permanent dye. Can you imagine what that means?
It means that there were layers and layers of artificial pigments in her hair that were impossible to cover with any other dye.
After all, tone-on-tone doesn’t lighten hair. So, what could we do?
Bleach her hair to remove those pigments and, then, apply a blonde dye.
To remove those pigments, you should come to the salon at least twice, and have a bleaching session at each visit.
Also, between each of those visits, thirty days should pass, so as to finally apply the blonde dye.That is, your hair will finally look blonde after sixty to ninety days, depending on the health of your hair.
You also have to consider that, if between each bleaching session, the hair suffers, it is necessary to apply intensive treatments, once a week, to restore the hair’s hydration.
So, in Laura’s case, we managed to turn her dark brown hair into blonde after two visits to the salon and seventy days. However, it was worth it, because her hair didn’t suffer and she was able to look a spectacular blonde.
Now, in the case of Juana, her friend, the same day she came to the salon, I was able to transform her dark brown hair into blonde. The difference was that her hair was virgin and we didn’t even need to bleach it.
As you can see, the history of your hair is very important to calculate how long it will take you to change from dark brown to blonde.
In some cases, it will be just hours. In others, it will be days, depending on whether the hair is virgin or colored.
Do you want to know exactly how long it will take to go from dark brown to blonde?
Then, stay with me, because I’ll tell you:
- How long it takes to go from natural dark brown to blonde and super extra blonde with a natural base
- How long it takes to go from dark brown to blonde on colored hair
Tabla de Contenidos
How long does it take to go from virgin dark brown to blonde?
In this case, we assume that your hair is virgin. Now, what shade of blonde do you want to achieve?
It’s not the same to go from a dark brown to a medium blonde or to a platinum blonde.
Do you want to get to a medium blonde?
- Then, you will achieve it in just one visit to the salon, and in approximately two or three hours.
- If you want to get to a platinum blonde, you will also get it in a single visit to the salon. But, in this case, it will take about four hours. In a few moments, I will tell you about this difference.
Let´s start with the medium blonde of your dreams.
Once in the salon, the process to bleach your dark brown to medium blonde hair will have 5 stages, like any other salon coloring process.
Let’s look at each one and its times:
- Separating the hair into several parts: 15 minutes.
- Dye application: 30 minutes.
- Developing time of the dye: 45 minutes.
- Rinsing of dye and washing: 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drying and brushing: 20 minutes.
As you can see, if you used the calculator to add up the times, you will stay in the salon for at least two hours.
If you add an intensive nutrition treatment, recommended after this process, the time will be extended to three hours.
What about times if you want to take your virgin dark brown hair to a platinum blonde?
You’ll need more time, because you’ll need to bleach your hair first. As I said before, you can do it in one sitting.
How long will it take?
- Separating the hair in several parts: 15 minutes.
- Application of bleach: 30 minutes.
- Developing time of the bleach: 45 minutes.
- Rinse the bleach and dry: 20 to 30 minutes.
- Application of bleach again: 30 minutes.
- Bleach on hair: 45 minutes maximum.
- Rinse of the bleach, color touch and wash: 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drying and brushing: 20 minutes..
Does it seem like many hours to you?
Come on, a little patience wouldn’t hurt. After all, you’re looking for a platinum blonde to amaze all your friends!
Besides, time flies in the salon, because everything is designed for your enjoyment. You also have the company of your cell phone, in which you can even watch your favorite Netflix series while you wait for the process to start.
Think about it, people with colored dark brown hair will need even more patience, and I’ll tell you why.
How long does it take to go from colored dark brown to blonde?
Do you have colored dark brown hair and want to turn it into a blonde?
You must book at least two visits to the salon with a thirty-day difference between each one.
Because your hair is not made of steel… if you want it to survive, you have to take it easy.
Since you’ve colored it dark brown, the first thing you’ll have to do is remove the artificial pigments from the dye.
You’ll do that on one of your visits. Of course, on that first visit, you won’t get to the blonde. Chances are your hair will end up in orange shades.
What do you need in order to get to a platinum blonde?
The base color of your hair should be buttery, which you’ll get to with the second bleach.
That’s why you should consider two visits to the salon, with thirty days between each one.
In each of these visits, your time in the salon will be approximately two and a half hours, and will be divided as follows:
- Separation of hair into several parts: 15 minutes
- Bleach application: 30 minutes
- Bleach in the hair: 45 minutes
- Rinsing of the bleach, colour touch and washing: 20 to 30 minutes
- Drying and brushing: 20 minutes
After this bleaching session, you won’t leave the salon with platinum blonde hair. You’ll have to come back after thirty days and do a second bleaching session, where you’ll stay in the salon for another two and a half hours.
The times to bring your dark brown hair to a blonde will depend on your hair history.
- If you’ve never colored your hair, you can make the change in one visit to the salon and in about two or three hours.
- If your hair is colored, you should prioritize your health, rather than impatience. You will need to come to the salon at least twice and have the color change in 60 to 90 days.
Are you already organizing your agenda for that color change?