- You can use semi-permanent hair color after a perm.
- But you will have to wait 24 to 48 hours, depending on the perm liquid your stylist used.
- If your stylist applied a light perm liquid, you could use semi-permanent dye 24 hours after perming.
- If your stylist applied a strong liquid perm, you could use semi-permanent hair color 48 hours later.
- It’s also important to know that you can’t bleach your hair if you want to apply a pastel semi-permanent hair color or a very light color and your base color is dark. Because if you bleach your hair after a perm, you’ll ruin your curls.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I Dye My Hair After Getting a Perm? How Long Should I Wait Afterward?
I can just imagine your joyful face.
Because now you know you can use semi-permanent dye after a perm, 24 or 48 hours after curling your hair. It just depends on the perm liquid your stylist used.
But you can only use semi-permanent hair color. Why?
Because semi-permanent hair dye doesn’t contain ammonia, and you don’t apply it with developer. Therefore, it won’t interfere with the process going on inside your hair.
Also, don’t forget that after perming your hair, there are a few things you need to be aware of. One of them is that you shouldn’t wet your hair.
Because if you wet your hair, the perming process will be interrupted, and it won’t be able to modify the structure of your hair to complete your curls. You can’t blame your stylist that the perm didn’t take hold.
So you can color your hair after getting a perm, but you must respect certain guidelines. Which ones? Let’s take a closer look.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: How to style permed hair in the morning, so it looks great all day
24 to 48 hours after a perm, you can color your hair using semi-permanent hair coloryou must follow the instructions given to you by your stylist. If you have any doubts before you color your hair, call them or come to the salon for a consultation. Because this way, you’ll avoid accidentally ruining your perm.
Why do I tell you this?
Because two types of liquids can be used for perming:
- Light liquid. If your stylist used mild liquid , they’ll tell you that you can wash your hair 24 hours later. Therefore, that’s when you’ll also be able to use semi-permanent dye.
- Strong liquid. If your stylist used strong perming liquid , you must wait 48 hours to apply semi-permanent hair color. Because, in this case, you must wait 48 hours to wet your hair.
So, if you don’t remember which perm liquid your stylist used, don’t waste time. Just call them because that will affect whether you can dye your hair with semi-permanent hair dye without ruining the perm.
Suppose you dye your hair with semi-permanent hair dye immediately after perming. In that case, you will open the hair cuticles, and your hair will absorb water, shampoo, and conditioner, removing some of the perm liquid. Therefore, your curls will be looser, and the curly effect will last less.
Which semi-permanent hair dye color to choose after a perm
It all depends on the base color of your hair.
- When you get your perm, if your hair is already a very light blonde , you can choose any semi-permanent hair color you like.
- Now if your hair is brown or dark blonde, and you want to dye it with a pastel or fantasy color , you won’t be able to apply the dye now. Because, in this case, you should bleach your hair first.
And bleaching is forbidden if you recently permed your hair.
- If you want to apply a semi-permanent dye in any traditional color, such as blonde, brown, or black , you can opt for the brands Clairol and Adore. These semi-permanent dye brands will not ruin your perm and also have good gray coverage.
- If you want to apply a semi-permanent dye in fantasy colors , remember that the base color of your hair should be very light blonde first. You can opt for Manic Panic, Punky Color, or Arctic Fox.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: What’re the differences between Manic Panic, Arctic Fox, and oVertone?
Any of these brands of semi-permanent hair dyes will leave your hair with perfect color without damaging your perm, as long as you wait 24 or 48 hours, depending on your stylist’s instructions.
You can color your hair using a semi-permanent hair dye 24 or 48 hours after a perm. It all depends on the type of perm liquid your stylist used, and respect these times to avoid ruining your perm.