- If you’re looking to only target grey hairs, then you should use something called a corrector, which you can find either in powder or spray form. And today I’m going to recommend to you the three best brands I know.
- But you should know that these correctors will disappear when you wash your hair with shampoo. So, you should reapply the corrector again after you wash your hair if you don’t want your grey hairs to be visible.
- The good news is that they damage your hair less than permanent dyes since they don’t contain either peroxide or ammonia.
The hair care industry never stops surprising us and every day they overcome problems from big ones like baldness to smaller ones like grey hairs.
And that’s why they recently developed correctors, which are a kind of dye that is neither permanent nor semi-permanent.
It’s simple: It will disappear from your hair as soon as you use shampoo and your grey hairs will be visible again.
But, I can assure you that correctors have helped many women get out of a difficult situation when they’ve been stuck between a rock and a hard place.
I don’t have to look any farther than to my mother. Although she’s a genius in many, many areas, when it comes to hair care, daughter knows best.
About a month ago she showed up at the salon desperate to see me. She had an important party with her friends coming up quick and she hadn’t had time to dye her hair, so her grey was shining bright.
So, she showed up at the salon with the idea of asking me to do an updo that would hide her grey.
I’m a hairstylist, so I’m going to leave the magic tricks to magicians or illusionists like Houdini and David Copperfield.
It’s impossible to do an updo that hides all the grey!
But I wasn’t about to let my mom go to her party without her hair looking perfect. So, I fell back on one of my favorite tricks: a blonde spray corrector that would make her grey fit in perfectly with the rest of her hair, hiding it.My mom couldn’t believe it, her grey had completely disappeared, and her hair looked perfectly, wonderfully groomed.
Do you know what she decided to do starting that day?
She decided to depend less on dye, and to start using a corrector that only targets grey hair often.
So, if you want to throw your hands up in your battle with the grey hairs, but you also won’t want to constantly depend on traditional dyes, don’t go away, because I am going to tell you:
- How color correctors work to hide your grey hairs
- The three best correctors for covering your grey
Tabla de Contenidos
How color correctors work to hide your grey hairs
Color correctors work to cover grey hairs, regardless of how many or few you have.
- But there are a few details you should keep in mind when we talk about this kind of product, since whether it’s in a spray or powder form, these kinds of dyes disappear after the first wash with shampoo.
And that is because unlike permanent dyes, these kinds of correctors don’t work on the internal structure of your hair. They don’t even affect the external structure like semi-permanent dyes do.
- With the corrector, all you’re doing is depositing color on top of the grey hairs, kind of like make up that you’d put on your eyelids or cheeks.
In that sense, these kinds of dyes are like make up.
They’re just colors to cover up your grey hairs and your roots, which you can use for any specific event.
- Now, if you decide to use these kinds of dyes all the time on your grey hairs, then you should know that after each time you wash your hair with shampoo, you should reapply it. And you should also know that applying these kinds of dyes can take time.
And that could take you a lot of time.
- So, if we have to name a negative side to these products it’s that you’ll need to take some time to apply them, but on the positive side, they’re safe for your hair since they don’t contain either peroxide or ammonia.
If you’re thinking about using this alternative, you should assume that you’ll need 20-30 minutes to apply the spray or powder, depending on how much practice you have.
The three best correctors for covering grey hair
Like I said at the beginning, these dyes can come in spray or powder form, and in both forms, they have the same benefits.
- They do not contain either ammonia or peroxide, so they will not damage your hair.
- You can change the color each time you apply them, so if you want to darken your roots, for example, you can do that by choosing darker colors.
- They don’t fade with water, the only thing that will get rid of the dye is shampoo, so you can swim without any inconveniences and you don’t have to worry if unexpected rain pops up.
- You can use the dyes anywhere; you don’t have to be at home because they don’t require you to either rinse or dry your hair.
- After you apply the dye, it dries in five minutes and does not leave your hair greasy.
- They don’t stain or leave residue on your scalp.
- And lastly, most brands have 10 shades to choose from so you can pick one best adapted to your base tone.
I always recommend three brands of correctors: L’OREAL MAGIC ROOT, COLOR WOW, and CLAIROL TEMPORARY POWDER.
Each of them has a variety of colors so you can find your ideal shade from black to platinum blonde and even red.
L’OREAL MAGIC ROOT COVER UP (ALSO KNOWN AS MAGIC RETOUCH)
It’s a spray corrector with 7 shades to choose from. It does not contain either peroxide or ammonia and has a pleasant smell.
Since it is a spray application, it’s easy to use, and it only takes five minutes to dry, after which time, your hair will be soft and bright. As always, this brand’s products are excellent and great for any woman.
COLOR WOW ROOT COVER UP
In this case, the product comes in powder and you apply it with a brush. It’s made of a formula resistant to water, so it will continue to cover your hair while you sleep, sweat and even swim, all the way until the next time you use shampoo.
It is easy to use, its texture is very soft, and it’s easy to apply, since it comes with one wide brush and one skinny one.
To apply it, all you need to do is use the small end of the brush to firmly brush it onto your scalp, then use the wider end to blend and brush away the excess powder.
It makes for good results and it’s resistant to water. If you have a lot of grey hair and relatively thin hair, then I’d recommend this option, because it does a good job at filling in thinner areas.
CLAIROL TEMPORARY POWDER
This is another powder product and you also apply it using a brush. Since it’s from the brand Clairol, you can feel good about its quality when you apply it.
- Correctors that only target grey hair are ideal for people with small areas of grey hair, and that don’t want to put their hair through a chemical process.
- They are also convenient for people that want to space out how often they need to dye their grey hair if you have a lot of grey.
- Although the application can take a long time, there’s nothing practice can’t make possible, and the different modes of application – either in aerosol spray or powder – make the job easier.
Now you know that there are different kinds of dye that only target grey hair, which are you going to choose, spray or powder?