- If you want to put a semi-permanent brown dye over your pink hair, you must first fade the pink. You can use a clarifying shampoo.
- If you don’t fade the pink first, but you apply the semi-permanent brown dye, your hair will turn reddish.
- Alternatively, you can put brown permanent hair dye over your pink hair without previously fading the pink. Below, I’ll tell you which shade of brown you should choose to cover your pink hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: 6 best colors to cover pink hair according to a colorist (purple, chocolate, and others)
Today, my daughter was working with watercolors.
She loves to experiment with colors!
And lucky for me, she is now at that age where she knows that mixing watercolor colors should be done on paper.
If I think about how many times I had to paint the walls in her room, I still can’t explain how I didn’t banish watercolors from my life a long time ago.
But as a mother, I understood that children need to experiment. And if they do it on paper, so much the better.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: What does pink hair fade to? How long does pink dye last?
But my understanding ends when people experiment with dyes on their hair. That’s when I put the mother aside and the colorist emerges with some rage.
What’s this all about?
Today, Martina, a fan of fantasy hair dyes, came to see me in desperation.
I can’t count all the colors she wore in her hair.
From frosted green to strident yellow, all the way to bubblegum pink.
Of course, she always did her color changes in the salon.
I don’t know why this time she decided to change her hair color at home. Maybe because of her teenage drive or just because she didn’t have time to come to the salon.
The point is that she put brown over her pink hair.
Things didn’t turn out so well.After rinsing out the dye and drying her hair, she found in desperation that her hair was reddish.
She checked the product to see if she had gotten the color wrong.
But she hadn’t. The dye was clearly light brown.
Luckily, instead of continuing to experiment on her own with her hair, she went to the salon and asked me for help.
Do you know what had happened?
She had ignored colorimetry and how hair behaves when it absorbs a new dye and had made a mistake.
That’s what I’ll tell you about next.
Tabla de Contenidos
If you want to put brown semi-permanent hair dye over pink, you must fade the pink out first
And if you don’t want to do it, you should wait for it to fade with washes.
How long will you have to wait?
It all depends on the brand of semi-permanent hair color you use.
Some brands fade after 10 washes, and others last longer, even up to 25 washes.
It’ll also depend on the color you have in your hair. Pastel pink fades faster than bubblegum pink.
But if you don’t wait for the pink to fade, your hair will be reddish like Martina’s after applying the brown dye.
- If the pink color is faded, you can apply the brown semi-permanent dye.
- However, if the pink isn’t faded, , you shouldn’t apply the semi-permanent brown dye.
To fade the pink dye, you can use a clarifying or detox shampoo to remove the color deposits stuck to your mane.
Generally, people use clarifying shampoo once a week to remove traces of products such as coconut oil, heat protectants, gels, sprays, and moisturizing masks.
That way, they prevent the accumulation of products in their hair.
However, this case is different. You want to remove the pink dye. I recommend you use the clarifying shampoo twice a week.
You’ll see that there won’t be any pink dye left after washing your hair twice with the clarifying shampoo. Then, you’ll be able to dye your hair brown.
How to use the clarifying shampoo on pink hair before applying the brown hair dye
- Wet your hair with warm water and apply clarifying shampoo. first on lengths and ends
- Massage your hair and add a little more shampoo to your roots.
- Continue massaging.
- Leave the clarifying shampoo on for 20 minutes, massaging your hair every 5 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water.
- If you wish, you can use a conditioner.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long to leave a clarifying shampoo in to remove hair dye?
Now, watch your hair.
- If the pink faded with the first shampoo, you can apply the brown semi-permanent dye.
- However, if there are still pink traces, you should wait two or three days to use the clarifying shampoo again.
Once the pink is gone, you can apply the brown dye.
What if you want to put brown permanent dye over your pink hair?
Things change in that case.
If you want to cover your pink hair with brown permanent hair dye, you can do it immediately
In that case, you won’t need to wait for the pink to fade.
Permanent hair dye contains chemicals.The 20-volume developer will open the cuticles to remove the pink dye. Then, the ammonia will penetrate your hair fiber to fix the brown.
Now, it’s not a matter of applying just any brown dye. The darker the pink, the darker the dye you need.
- If your hair is dark pink or fuchsia, apply dark brown 3.
- If your hair is bubblegum pink, pink apply brown 4.
- If your hair is light pink or pastel pink, apply any brown, including light brown 5.
The permanent hair colors that last the longest are L’OREAL PREFERENCE, GARNIER NUTRISSE, and REVLON COLORSILK.
They also include proteins, moisturizing oils, and silk extracts to protect your hair.
Do you know how to apply permanent hair dye?
Applying brown permanent hair dye on pink hair
Before I explain the process, I’ll give you a tip.
Don’t wash your hair for at least 48 hours before coloring it. The scalp oils will protect your hair from the dye chemicals.
- Your hair should be dry and detangled.
- Separate your hair into four sections, from forehead to nape and from ear to ear, holding each section with a hair clip.
- In a plastic container, place the developer cream and the dye. Mix to blend.
- Release one of the sections of your hair and apply the dye from root to tip.
- Repeat the procedure for each section. Make sure to cover all your hair to achieve an even color.
- When you finish applying the dye to all of your hair, leave it on for 45 minutes.
- Then, rinse your hair with plenty of lukewarm water until it runs clean and free of dye.
- Use the after-color treatment included in the kit. Leave it on for five minutes to moisturize your hair and rinse.
- Remove excess water from your hair with a towel.
Now, enjoy your brown hair.
Permanent dyes are touched up every five to six weeks according to hair growth.
If you want to put semi-permanent brown dye over your pink hair, you should first remove the pink dye with a clarifying shampoo or wait for it to fade with washes.
On the other hand, if you want to cover your pink hair immediately, you can use a permanent dye. The darker the pink in your hair, the darker the brown dye.