- The demi-permanent hair dye fades completely with washes because it doesn’t contain ammonia and is applied with a 9 or 10-volume developer.
- Of course, it all depends on the brand of demi-permanent hair dye you use. For example, Matrix Color Sync lasts up to 20 washes, while Wella Color Touch washes out after 30 washes.
- Also, if you want your demi-permanent hair color to last longer, you’ll need to make some adjustments to your hair care routine. I’ll tell you about it later. If you want it to fade faster, you can use anti-dandruff shampoo or clarifying shampoo.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: 3 ways to remove demi-permanent dye from hair (without damaging it)
Do you know what other name demi-permanent hair dye is known by?
“Tone-on-tone.” Now you know what we’re talking about because you can usually find demi-permanent or tone-on-tone hair color kits on supermarket shelves.
The advantage of demi-permanent hair dyes is that they disappear with washes because they don’t contain ammonia and are applied with a 9 to 10-volume developer.
In other words, they are simply deposited on the upper layers of the hair.
These hair dyes last between 20 to 30 washes depending on several factors.
The most important factor is the brand.
- For example, Matrix Color Sync lasts 20 washes.
- Wella Color Touch lasts 30 washes
- and Clairol Nice'n Easy lasts 24 washes
The second factor that will determine the duration is how you take care of the hair dye once you apply it.Hair products, the sun, or the washes can make it fade faster.
Wow, it seems like you learned almost everything about demi-permanent hair dyes in just a few lines. However, don't be fooled. You don't. If you want to know more, you'll have to read on.
In my opinion, a good place to start would be to talk about the care you should take to make your demi-permanent hair color last longer. Shall we continue?
Tabla de Contenidos
How to make demi-permanent hair color last longer
If you want your demi-permanent hair color to last longer, you'll need to make an effort with your hair care routine because that’s what will make a difference.
If you follow these tips, your color will last longer:
- Don’t wash your hair right after applying your demi-permanent hair dye. Just rinse it to remove all traces of the hair dye. Then, leave it for at least 72 hours to set.
- Use sulfate and paraben-free shampoos because they don’t contain color-corrosive chemicals.
- Wash your hair a maximum of three times a week. Use cold water to prevent cuticles from opening and, consequently, hair dye pigments from escaping. Hot water also dehydrates the hair.
- Don’t overuse flat irons, curling irons, and blow-dryers. If you must, use the blow-dryer on low heat and apply a heat protectant.
What happens if you really want the demi-permanent hair dye to fade faster?
You could wash your hair every day with some products that will become your allies.
How to fade demi-permanent hair dye faster
Have you applied a demi-permanent hair dye and don't like the color?
Don't worry. There’re ways to remove the color because the pigmentation is lighter. Don't panic! You won't have to bleach your hair.
You can choose between two less aggressive options:
- Wash your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Use a clarifying shampoo. It’s an ideal product to remove artificial hair dye without damaging your hair.
Do you have an idle anti-dandruff shampoo in the bathroom?
Use it to fade demi-permanent hair color!
Fade demi-permanent hair dye with an anti-dandruff shampoo
The anti-dandruff shampoo contains a higher amount of sulfates, parabens, glycerin, and alcohol to fight dandruff. However, those ingredients can wear out the color of the permanent hair dye.
How should you use it?
I can tell you're impatient. Then, I won't make you suffer any longer.
- Simply wet your hair and apply the anti-dandruff shampoo. Massage your hair until you create a lot of lather. Leave it on for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Rinse and apply conditioner to moisturize the hair fiber because the anti-dandruff shampoo dries out the hair. However, it can be solved with a moisturizing mask.
Continue washing your hair with the anti-dandruff shampoo until the demi-permanent hair dye is completely gone.
Don't forget that this product takes away moisture from your hair. Therefore, you should also do intensive moisturizing treatments.
If you want a quicker solution than anti-dandruff shampoo to remove demi-permanent hair color, you could use a clarifying shampoo.
Removing demi-permanent hair color with a clarifying shampoo
Clarifying shampoo removes all the artificial pigmentation from your hair. Therefore, it’ll take your hair back to its base tone. It means that your hair will return to the same color it had before the demi-permanent dye was applied.
Also, it doesn’t contain peroxide or ammonia. So, it won’t damage your hair. Why did I say that it is a quicker solution than anti-dandruff shampoo?
Because you can use it up to 3 times in a row on the same day. Yes, you read that right. You can use it three times on the same day.
- Wet your hair and apply the clarifying shampoo. Massage your hair so that the product penetrates well. Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse without applying any conditioner, and blowdry your hair.
- If the color of the demi-permanent hair dye didn’t disappear, you can repeat the process two more times the same day.
Once the hair dye is completely gone, I recommend - you let your hair rest for at least 48 hours. Then, reapply the color you want.
Don't forget to moisturize your hair using moisturizing oils like coconut or argan. Also, repairing masks like Elvive Olio. They’ll give you a unique texture and deeply repair your hair.
Now that you've eliminated the permanent hair color, your hair is a blank canvas. Do you want to know what your options are?
What to do when demi-permanent hair color fades
Whether you've faded the hair dye with the previous products or hoped it would fade with washes, it's time to decide what to do now.
You have several options:
- Touch up your demi-permanent hair color. This option will only be for those who are in love with the color they had applied before.
- Change your shade to a lighter or darker one.
- Use a permanent hair dye if you want a longer-lasting color.
Demi-permanent hair color brands like Wella Color Touch, Matrix, or Clairol offer a color palette of more than 15 options, from lighter colors like platinum blonde 10.0 or very light blonde 9.0 to darker colors like dark brown 3.0 or black 1.0.If you choose lighter shades, you must make sure that no traces of the previous color remain. Otherwise, the result may not be what you are looking for.
You can also use traditional hair dyes. These brands offer permanent hair dyes that provide excellent results.Just remember that permanent hair dyes are applied with a-20 volume developer and contain ammonia. Therefore, they modify the hair forever.
In other words, they don’t fade with washes. Therefore, if you like to change your hair color often, I advise you to continue using demi-permanent hair color.
The demi-permanent hair dye fades completely in a maximum of thirty washes.
If you want it to fade faster, you can use an anti-dandruff or a clarifying shampoo. Then, decide if you will continue using that type of hair dye or if you want to change to a permanent one.