- Today, I’ll recommend the 5 best toners to fix your highlights if they’re too orange. Two of them are toners the other three are blue shampoos.
- The toners are Wella Color Charm T14 and Pravana ChromaSilk Blue. You’ll need some training to use them, but they last longer and require less maintenance.
- Alternatively, the blue shampoos are Matrix Total Results Brass Off Blue Shampoo, Fanola No Orange, and Joico Color Balance Blue. These products are easier to use, but you’ll need to use them several times a week.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: What does hair toner do to highlights? Toner – like products to use at home
Are you disappointed that your highlights are too orange?
You can relax because now you know you can use a blue toner or shampoo to turn your orange highlights ashy.
Which is the best choice for your hair?
It depends on your coloring experience. Here’s why.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Best Wella toners for orange hair: how to choose the right one for you
If you have experience in coloring, use a toner to fix your orange highlights
If you decide to use a toner, your hair coloring training will determine whether you get ashy highlights or ruined hair. As regards undertones, your highlights could turn any unexpected color.
Also, you risk drying out and weakening your hair.
Do you know why?
Let’s take it one step at a time.
Let’s imagine that some of your hair strands have been bleached. Therefore, those strands have lost nutrients and moisture.
The toner is applied with a 20-volume developer, a chemical product. Therefore, a chemical reaction starts when you apply the toner to your highlights.If you apply toner without having analyzed your hair health, you could dry it out and even break it.
Remember that the toner starts acting immediately on the hair. hair to neutralize the brassy undertones.
Therefore, you should be quick but thorough when you apply the toner to your orange highlights. Also, carefully control the exposure times. Otherwise, your hair could turn blue.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How Long to Leave Toner on Brassy/Orange Hair? 20 minutes maximum, but keep in mind this
At the beginning of this article, I recommended two toners: WELLA COLOR CHARM T14 and PRAVANA CHROMASILK BLUE.
In my experience, I recommend Wella Color Charm T14, which is designed for home use and includes clear instructions.
If your hair is damaged, and you aren’t experienced in coloring, I recommend a blue shampoo to fix your orange highlights
However, I have to be honest. You’ll have to control your anxiety.The blue shampoo, unlike the toner, doesn’t act immediately, but gradually.
So, every time you wash your hair with the blue shampoo, pigments are deposited in your hair strands to remove the orange gradually.
The blue shampoo works like any other shampoo. You just have to leave it on for two to five minutes according to the instructions.
The frequency of use will also depend on the brand. Some blue shampoos can only be used once a week due to their stronger pigments.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long to leave the blue shampoo for orange hair in? Between 1 and 5 minutes
Finally, remember that when you stop using a blue shampoo, your highlights will return to orange.
Do you want some tips on how to use blue shampoo?
- Leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes to allow the shampoo to adhere to your hair.
- Use cold water for the best results.
- Don’t use another shampoo after the blue shampoo. Otherwise, you’ll remove the effect of the blue shampoo. Alternate the blue shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to not remove the blue pigments.
- When you achieve the ashy highlights, start using the blue shampoo only once a week.
- You can use blue conditioner.
Now you know. If your highlights are too orange, use a blue toner or a blue shampoo according to your coloring experience.
But if you have no experience, it’s best to opt for the blue shampoo at first.