- No, it’s not a good idea to use clarifying shampoo every day. It’s designed for use in very specific situations.
- If you use many hair products to style your hair, you can wash your hair with clarifying shampoo every two weeks.
- If you don’t use styling products, you can wash your hair with clarifying shampoo once a month for a deeper clean.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How often should you use clarifying shampoo?
As you can see, clarifying shampoo is something you should only use on special occasions. It’s almost like that party dress you only use for weddings or baptisms.
This is because clarifying shampoo contains deep cleansing agents that can damage your hair if you use it daily.
Unlike regular shampoo, which removes dirt from the hair, clarifying shampoo removes chemical residues left behind from products such as gels, dyes, oils, styling creams, etc.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: Clarifying shampoo vs. regular shampoo, Which one should you use?
Most clarifying shampoos contain some cleansing agents that can be very corrosive if you use them daily:
- Ammonium and sodium lauryl sulfate: they take away all kinds of oily residues.
- Chlorides or bromides: these wear away natural and artificial hair color.
- Ethyl fatty alcohols: they dry out the hair.
After reading the names of those ingredients in clarifying shampoo, I’m sure you probably feel you shouldn’t use it every day.
What could happen if you use clarifying shampoo every day? I’ll tell you about that below.
Why you shouldn’t use clarifying shampoo every day
Since clarifying shampoo is a detox treatment for hair, it acts deeply by eliminating toxins, product residues, and accumulated dirt.
But it also detracts moisture, nutrients, and even color from the hair.
- If you color your hair and use clarifying shampoo every day , the color will fade after just a few washes.
- If your hair has balayage or highlights and you use clarifying shampoo every day , after a few washes, you’ll start to see harsh colors in your hair.
- If your scalp is oily or sensitive and you use clarifying shampoo every day , it could irritate your scalp.
- If your hair is of the normal type and you use clarifying shampoo every day , seborrhea, which is excess oiliness in the hair, may appear.
- And in all cases, if you use clarifying shampoo every day , your hair will become dry, brittle, and weak.
With these effects in mind, I hope you’ve given up the idea of using clarifying shampoo every day. So now, let’s move on to the million-dollar question.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Can you use clarifying shampoo on bleached hair?
How often should you use clarifying shampoo?
I’ll be very specific.
- If you use hair products every day or every second day to style or shape your hair , you can use clarifying shampoo once a fortnight. That way, the shampoo will remove product residue build-up, and your hair will have shine and movement. Generally, if your hair is curly, it’s also a good idea to use clarifying shampoo once a fortnight. Because you probably apply some product to shape your curls almost daily.
- If you don’t use many styling products, or your hair is very fine , I recommend you use the shampoo once a month. Because, in this case, you won’t need to do a deep clean of your hair that often. A normal shampoo will keep your hair clean without drying or damaging it.
Choosing a clarifying shampoo containing moisturizing ingredients such as oils, keratin, aloe vera, or oatmeal would be best. You should also apply a good conditioner after using this shampoo.
- If your hair is dry and damaged , you can opt for the Professional Series Hydrating Oil Mask conditioner.
- If your hair is oily , you can choose Nexxus Hydra-Light Conditioner.
- If you color your hair , L’Oreal Paris Elvive Color Vibrancy Conditioner is ideal.
- If your hair is curly , opt for SheaMoisture Curl & Shine Conditioner.
Clarifying shampoo is not designed for daily use because it can cause anything from hair breakage to seborrhea. You should use it once or twice a month according to the needs of your hair.