- Argan oil doesn’t affect hair dye and doesn’t wash out color.
- Because argan oil actually repairs hair cuticles. And when your hair cuticles are healthy, they retain more dye color.
- If you want to use argan oil to make your hair color last longer, use it once a week on dry hair and leave it on overnight.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Does coconut oil fade hair color?
Did you get a surprise?
I’m sure you did.
Because many people think argan oil can fade or affect the color of color-treated hair . But it actually has quite the opposite effect.
And in a few moments, I’ll tell you why.
But just to be clear, it’s perfectly fine to use argan oil on color-treated hair. It won’t fade or wash out the color.
Many things affect the color of dyed hair. Let’s have a quick refresher.
- If you use products that contain sulfates, the dye will fade faster. Because sulfates are detergents that wash out color. It’s also important to wait at least 72 hours to wash your hair after you dye it.
- If you straighten your hair more than twice a week without using a heat protectant, your hair color will obviously fade faster. Because heat is one of the biggest enemies of hair color and hair in general.
- If you swim regularly, chlorine will also fade dye color. That’s why it’s important to protect your hair with a rubber cap.
- If you use hot water to wash your hair, the color molecules in the dye will fade quicker. Because a high water temperature opens the hair cuticles, making it easier for the color to leak out and fade.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Should You Use Argan Oil on Wet or Dry Hair?
As you can see, argan oil isn’t among the factors that cause hair color to fade.
Because in reality, argan oil prevents the dye color from wearing off. Why? It penetrates the hair fiber, repairing the damage and retaining the color.
How does this work?
Each strand of hair is made up of three parts:
- The outer layer or cuticles: these are the protective shield of the hair fiber.
- The middle layer or hair fiber: it’s in charge of maintaining the structure or shape of the hair.
- The inner layer or core: where the color of the dye is absorbed.
When you color your hair, the dye opens the cuticles, penetrates the hair fiber, and deposits the color in the core. That’s where your hair absorbs the dye color.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How to seal hair cuticles after coloring your hair?
Of course, the chemicals in the dye will also deplete your hair of moisture, making it drier and duller.
How can you repair it?
By using argan oil. And this is where you’re probably asking the million-dollar question.
Why argan oil doesn’t fade the color of hair dye
It’s because argan oil repairs the hair cuticles that were damaged during dye application.
Once you apply the oil, it will settle deep into the hair cuticles, repairing and sealing them. That’s perfect for optimal color retention.
After sealing the cuticles, the argan oil will move into the hair fiber, hydrating it. And finally, it will reach the core, where the nutrients provided by the oil will be absorbed. And that will make your hair retain the color of the dye much better.
Now, it’s also true that you should use argan oil correctly on color-treated hair. And that’s what I’m going to talk about next.
How to use argan oil to make your hair dye last longer
Argan oil can be used in different ways because it is very versatile. That’s why many people use it to promote hair growth or to fight dandruff, for example.
But the best way to use it on color-treated hair is as a deep moisturizing mask . In other words, you should leave the oil on your hair overnight.
If you use argan oil once a week as an overnight mask on your color-treated hair, you’ll see the color of your hair becoming more intense. And the dye will last longer.
How should you use it?
- Comb your dry hair, detangling it completely. This will promote blood flow to the scalp.
- Put ten drops of argan oil in the palm of your hand and rub your palms to warm the oil up.
- Gently apply the oil, starting with the lengths and ends, and then work your way to the roots.
- Massage your hair and scalp for a few minutes.
- Comb your hair again and put it in a shower cap.
- Leave the argan oil mask on overnight. The next morning, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
Here’s another important tip. In addition to using argan oil to prolong the duration of the dye, you should use sulfate-free hair products. And don’t abuse heat tools.
Argan oil doesn’t fade hair color; quite the contrary. If you use argan oil on your colored hair once a week, you’ll repair the hair cuticles damaged during the coloring process.
And when the cuticles are healthy, your hair will retain the color molecules of the dye for longer.