- If you want to moisturize your hair or control frizz, use argan oil on dry hair.
- If you want to repair your hair or make it shinier and softer, use argan oil on damp hair.
- And later I’ll tell you how to apply it in both cases to better take advantage of all the benefits of this light and versatile oil.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: After how many days can I use oil after a keratin treatment?
You want to use argan oil but don’t know if you should use it on dry or wet hair?
Don’t worry, today we’ll solve the mystery.
Because this is one of the most frequent questions about using oils in your hair, whether you use argan oil or coconut oil.
Argan oil is a natural product extracted from a very rare fruit grown in Morocco.
And as an interesting fact, I can tell you that it has traditionally always been women in charge of the production of argan oil.
Today, there are cooperatives of Berber women who are in charge of collecting and processing argan oil. Yes, the same oil you’re thinking of using on your hair.
Why all the fuss about argan oil, which is in direct competition with coconut oil?
Many of my clients even ask me if they should use coconut oil or argan oil after a keratin treatment.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Can I oil my hair after keratin treatment? Coconut or Argan oil?
Argan oil is a light oil that penetrates to the core of the hair fiber and can help you solve several situations.
- If you bleached your hair and it became dry and dehydrated , argan oil will moisturize and repair your hair cuticles.
- If your hair is prone to frizz , you can use argan oil to eliminate frizz.
- If you’re tired of your hair always looking dull , argan oil can give it an injection of life and shine.
But it’s important that you change whether you use argan oil on wet or dry hair depending on what you want to achieve.
And that’s what we’ll talk about today, unveiling the mysteries of argan oil.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: How to use argan oil for dandruff or itchiness from a dry scalp?
If you want to moisturize or control your hair’s frizziness, use argan oil on your dry hair
Do you know what the declared public enemies of any woman’s hair are?
Without a doubt, frizz and dryness.
No one likes to go through life with bristly hair, looking as if you’d stuck your fingers in a socket. And least of all do we like to touch our hair and have it feel like straw.
Therefore, argan oil will allow you to eliminate frizz and moisturize your hair. Then when your fingers touch it, it feels like silk.
Let’s start with moisturizing.
Using argan oil on dry hair to moisturize it
- Wash your hair, using only shampoo, and let it dry naturally.
- Next, comb your hair and separate it into sections to distribute the oil more easily.
- Place 8 to 10 drops of argan oil in your palm and rub your hands together to warm it up.
- Apply it to each section leaving three centimeters from the root without oil to avoid greasiness.
- Then massage it through your hair.
- Place a drop on your fingertips and massage your scalp to stimulate circulation and moisturize your skin.
- Put on a shower cap and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- After this time, rinse your hair with cold water and use your usual shampoo. Do not use conditioner.
- Finally, let your hair dry naturally.
Use argan oil up to three times a week to restore moisture to your hair.
Using argan oil on dry hair to eliminate frizz
- Wash your hair and et it dry naturally.
- Place three or four drops of argan oil on your palms.
- Then, rub your palms together to activate the oil and apply it to the lengths and ends first.
- Next, distribute the rest of the oil onto the roots.
- Do not rinse the oil out, because your hair will completely absorb the oil since you applied very little of it.
You can use it each time you wash and dry your hair, but it’s important you only use three or four drops of oil.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Castor oil and coconut oil mix for hair, does it make hair grow?
Apply argan oil on damp hair for a deep repair or to give it more shine and softness
Why should you apply argan oil on wet hair in these cases?
Because when your hair is wet, the cuticles are open . Therefore, the argan oil will penetrate to the innermost layer of the hair, to repair it.
If you frequently color your hair, bleach it, or use a straightener, curler, or blow dryer, using the oil on damp hair will repair the broken cuticles. When the cuticles are healthy, they retain nutrients and moisture and the hair becomes stronger.
How to use argan oil on damp hair for a deep repair
- Shampoo your hair using warm to hot water.
- Remove excess water with a towel.
- Next, place in the palm of your hand ten drops of argan oil and activate its properties by rubbing your palms together.
- Apply it from the lengths to the ends. With the rest of the oil that’s left on your hands, massage your scalp and roots.
- Place a shower cap and a towel over it for warmth.
- Finally, leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water, almost cold, using very little shampoo and conditioner.
If your hair is extremely damaged, you can use argan oil on wet hair up to four times a week.
Using argan oil on damp hair to give it shine and softness
In the salon, after blow-drying a client’s hair, I always apply a few drops of argan oil to give their hair extra shine.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Does blow drying colored hair make it brighter?
How should you do it?
- Wash your hair with shampoo only and remove the excess water with a towel.
- Next, after detangling, apply four or five drops of argan oil, distributing it throughout your hair and avoiding the roots.
- Massage the oil into your hair and leave it on for ten minutes .
- Finally, without rinsing your hair, blow dry your hair with the dryer at medium heat.
I recommend you use the oil in this way up to twice a week.
Now you know when you should use argan oil on your wet and dry hair. It’s one of the most common natural oils for restoring hair health. As we’ve seen, argan oil is versatile, light, and very accessible.