- If your hair is seriously damaged and you want to deeply moisturize it, you should leave the castor oil in overnight once a week.
- Alternatively, to soften and brighten your hair, you should leave it on for fifteen minutes to two hours according to your hair type. I’ll tell you more about timings later.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: 3 ways to get castor oil out of hair, from the safest to the most aggressive
As you can see, the exposure time of castor oil can vary according to your goals and your hair type.
Indeed, it’s one of the hardest natural oils to use on the hair.
The reasons are simple.
First, its consistency is very thick, which makes it hard to apply and absorb the oil. The second reason is that castor oil isn’t recommended for frequent use.
For some years now, oils derived from plants have been one of the most widely used products for hair hydration and nutrition. Each natural oil has its own specifications and exposure time.
- Coconut oil can be used up to three times a week.
- Castor oil should only be used once a week.
- Coconut oil can be on your hair for up to three days.
- Instead, the maximum exposure time for castor oil is one night.
So, my question is, why do you want castor oil?
- Is your hair seriously damaged and you need to deeply moisturize it?
- Do you just want to add shine to your hair?
Your answer will determine how long you should leave the castor oil on your hair.
We’ll start with the women on the verge of a panic attack.
Can you guess who they are? Exactly! Those who feel like their hair is in intensive care with an urgent need to repair it.
Tabla de Contenidos
If you want to deeply moisturize your hair, you should leave castor oil on overnight
Look at your hair.
How do you notice it?
- Is it too damaged?
- Dry at the ends?
- Does it frizz and tangle easily?
- Do you have frizz?
If you answered yes to more than two of the questions, your hair needs deep moisturizing.
Castor oil can give you everything you need, but you must use it properly.
Why do I tell you this?
Because castor oil has a high concentration of fatty acids.If you use it in excess, that large amount of fatty acids can clog the pores of your scalp and cause dryness.
Do you get the picture?
If you don’t use it the right way, instead of achieving deep hydration in your hair, you’ll cause the opposite – more dryness and even scalp irritation.
So what’s the right way to use castor oil for deep hydration?You should apply it once a week to your hair as a night mask. That means you’ll leave it on overnight.
But I must give you a warning.
Castor oil, especially if you use Jamaican, stains everything it touches. You’ll need a shower cap to protect your sheets and pajamas.
How to use castor oil as an overnight mask
- Wet your hair with warm water from roots to ends. You can help yourself with a spray bottle.
- Apply three drops of the oil to your roots and massage it into your scalp.
- Place four drops in the palm of your hand and massage to distribute the product on the lengths and ends.
- Now comes the trickiest part of the application. You’ll have to massage your hair for twenty minutes to spread the product throughout your hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it overnight.
- The following morning, rinse your hair with plenty of warm water. My advice is to wash it up to two or three times with a sulfate-free shampoo to make sure you remove the castor oil.
- You don’t need to use a conditioner. After all, you’ve just done a deep moisturizing treatment.
Remember that it’s very important that you leave the castor oil as an overnight moisturizing treatment once a week.
If you want to add docility and shine to your hair, leave the castor oil on for fifteen minutes to two hours
I guess what you’re thinking.
Why such a time difference?
That time difference has to do with your hair type.
- If your hair is very oily, I recommend leaving the castor oil on for fifteen to thirty minutes. As castor oil contains a high concentration of fatty acids, you run the risk of adding too much greasiness to your hair. If so, you’ll have a hard time removing it. It could even cause dandruff.
- If your hair is dry or normal, I recommend leaving it on for an hour to a maximum of two hours.
You shouldn’t leave it on for longer. As you just want to soften your hair, you’ll use castor oil as a moisturizing mask.
It’ll also help with frizz.
How often can you apply castor oil as a moisturizing mask?
Once a week will be more than enough for dry or normal hair, and once a fortnight for oily hair.
How to use castor oil as a moisturizing mask
- Wet your hair with lukewarm water from mid-lengths to ends without touching the roots.
- Place five or six drops of castor oil in the palm of your hand and massage it with both palms to make it easier to manage.
- Comb your damp hair with your hands to distribute the oil. Make sure to cover the entire surface of the hair you moisturized.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes to 2 hours according to your hair type.
- Finally, rinse with plenty of warm water and wash your hair twice with shampoo. Don’t apply conditioner.
Castor oil is one of the most used oils to moisturize hair due to its high concentration of fatty acids.
Be careful with exposure times.
- If you want to deeply moisturize your hair, apply it once a week and leave it on overnight.
- Alternatively, to increase the shine and manageability of your hair, leave it on for fifteen to two hours according to your hair type. In this case, you should also use it once a week.