- Although completely removing oVertone from your hair is a bit difficult, I’ll tell you about three foolproof methods, from the least to the most aggressive.
- You can start by using an olive oil mask once a week. Alternatively, wash your hair with liquid laundry soap for seven days.
- The last method is the most aggressive one. It consists of applying a mixture of moisturizing shampoo and a 20-volume developer every 15 days. But keep in mind that this method can really dry out your hair. So, I recommend using it as a last option.
oVertone can be a bit difficult to remove from the hair because it’s made with long-lasting pigments. So, its hold is much longer than other hair dyes.
Semi-permanent hair dyes don’t penetrate the hair fiber because they don’t contain ammonia nor are applied with a developer. However, the pigments in oVertone have great staying power.
Sure, this can be great if you’ve decided on a color and will wear it for a long time. But what if you get tired of the color and want to change it?
One of the first things you can do is to stop using oVertone in every wash. This way, you’ll avoid re-pigmenting your hair and extending the duration of the color.
However, this method won’t allow you to get the oVertone hair dye out of your hair overnight. You may even notice color fading after 15 to 20 days.
Can you use an alternative method to get oVertone out of your hair faster?
Yes, but I must warn you.Except for the first method I’ll explain, which is using an olive oil mask, the other two methods can be aggressive to your hair because they will dry it out.
So, if your hair is a bit dry or frizzy, I recommend using the olive oil mask.
oVertone will take a few more days to disappear, but your hair will remain healthy.
If your hair is healthy, you could start with the second method, which is liquid laundry soap.
Then, leave the shampoo and developer mixture as the last alternative.
Having made this clarification, which I think is very important; it’s time to decide. But don’t take the decision lightly. Remember that your hair’s health is at stake.
Tabla de Contenidos
You must keep in mind that this method uses heat. So, you must use hot oil. Therefore, take extreme care and protect your hands with gloves to avoid burns.
Olive oil is a great hair moisturizer, but it is corrosive to color. So, other types of oil such as coconut, rose, or almond oil are recommended to repair the fiber.
Olive oil penetrates the hair fiber and fills in the gaps caused by permanent hair color.In the case of semi-permanent hair dye, it works by adhering to the hair fiber and encapsulating the pigment molecules deposited there.
This method has been around for many years, and I always recommend it to my clients who have very damaged hair for instant repair.
What do you need to remove your Overtone hair dye?
- Olive oil
- Hair dye brush
- Shower cap
Let’s get started! Here’s the step-by-step:
- Wash your hair with very hot water for as long as you can stand. The hot water will help open the pores of the hair fiber and the color will come out easily.
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in the microwave for 10 seconds. It should be hot but not boiling hot. PLEASE remember to be very careful to avoid severe burns.
- With gloves on, apply the olive oil to damp hair and massage it from the roots to the ends until the hair is completely covered. You can use the hair dye brush to help you.
- Then, cover your hair with a shower cap and let the olive oil work for 30-40 minutes.
- Rinse the olive oil off with plenty of warm water. Apply a thick shampoo or dishwashing detergent to remove all the grease. Massage until thick lather forms or until you don’t feel your hair greasy.
Don’t apply conditioner!
Your hair fiber is already moisturized. You don’t need to apply more products.
This method will make oVertone disappear in 2 or 3 applications, and your hair will be deeply moisturized.
Liquid soap contains detergents that are corrosive to color. Therefore, this product can help you remove oVertone less aggressively than bleach, for example.
If you choose this method, you’ll need to make a moisturizing plan after a week of use. Although it doesn’t damage as much as bleach, your hair can become dry and frizzy.
You should respect the indicated times to avoid hair damage. You’ll notice that your color will have faded significantly in just a few washes.
The application is very simple:
- Step 1: wet your hair and apply liquid laundry soap massaging to form a lot of lather. You can do this in the shower.
- Step 2: leave the soap in your hair for 10 minutes. Remember to be very careful to avoid spills and irritating your eyes.
- Step 3: rinse with plenty of warm water to remove all traces of liquid soap and apply conditioner. Leave it on for 5 minutes to moisturize your hair fiber.
Repeat these steps for 7 days to remove the rest of oVertone from your hair. Remember to moisturize your hair because the liquid soap contains detergents that will dry your hair.
I recommend that you use jojoba or almond oil overnight. Rinse the next day with the same liquid soap when it is time for application.
You can also make an aloe vera mask and leave it overnight on your hair wrapped in a shower cap. It’s not necessary to rinse it and you’ll notice the difference.
If you still have traces of Overtone, you’ll need to think about a more aggressive method to remove it. That’s what I’ll tell you about next.
This is a more aggressive but very effective method.
Remember, only use it if your hair is in good condition and you need to remove the hair dye urgently.
It involves mixing moisturizing shampoo with a 20-volume developer. The developer will open the hair cuticles and the hair dye pigments will come out completely.
But you must be very careful!
A developer is a powerful chemical that can cause a lot of damage to the hair. So, my professional recommendation is to use a moisturizing shampoo.
There are thousands of options on the market, but some provide just the right amount of hydration for this type of technique.
Here’s a list of some of them:
- Dove Daily Moisture Shampoo
- L’Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 Shampoo
- Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal Shampoo
Once you have your moisturizing shampoo, you can prepare the mixture with the 20-volume developer.
What do you need?
- Moisturizing shampoo
- 20 volume developer
- An empty shampoo bottle.
The mixture is very easy and quick to prepare:
- In the empty shampoo bottle, add 250 ml of moisturizing shampoo and 250 ml of the developer.
- Blend well until fully integrated.
Do you want a tip?
The day before applying the shampoo and developer mixture, you can moisturize your hair with coconut oil for 4 hours or overnight. Then, rinse it when you apply the mixture.
Remember that this mixture is irritating. Be very careful with your eyes!
- Wet your hair, apply the 20-volume developer and shampoo mixture.
- Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes, massaging every 5 minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of water without leaving any residue of the mixture.
- Apply conditioner and leave on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and dry
This method gives very good results. However, if you still have traces of oVertone in your hair, I recommend you wait at least 15 days to reapply it.
In the meantime, moisturize your hair with aloe vera masks or repairing oils with silicones.
You should not abuse this technique. Remember that the 20-volume developer has a lightening capacity and can deeply damage your hair.
You’ll be able to remove the oVertone with any of these techniques.
Remember to start with the least invasive method. After all, although oVertone pigments are very persistent, they will disappear with washing.
As you can see, you don’t need to expose your hair unnecessarily to more aggressive methods.