Hair cosmetic companies, don’t sell me any more lies.
Every time I dye my hair, my hair ends up with an ammonia smell which I think even makes my cat hide from me.
I understand that ammonia plays a fundamental role every time we decide to change our hair color.
After all, it is an alkaline chemical that opens the cuticles and allows the color to penetrate the cortex of the hair. It also acts as a catalyzer when the color of the permanent dye comes together with the peroxide.
But I think at this point in time, in the 21st century, and with people thinking about buying plots of land on Mars, laboratories like L’Oreal or Koleston should be able to find a solution to hide the smell that is left by some hair dyes.
It doesn’t matter how much I tried.I tried to hide that horrible aroma with drops of my favorite French perfume. But I didn’t achieve anything, only wasting my favorite perfume which I only use on special occasions.
I also lit several incenses at the moment of dyeing my hair in the bathroom, thinking that this would help get rid of the odor of the ammonia in my hair. But I almost intoxicated myself.
And if you try with candles? I did.
Do you want to know what happened?
The vanilla smell floated about the air, but my hair continued smelling like ammonia.
Don’t ask me why, but one day, I ended up talking about this topic with my grandmother.
She looked at me with that grandmother look that said, “Oh these new generations,” and then she revealed to me a recipe that, according to her, was thousands of years old.
A solution that only needed baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
Do you want to know how to get rid of that ammonia smell from your hair?
Keep reading, because I will tell you:
- 2 ways to eliminate the ammonia odor from your hair
- How to avoid other bad odors in your hair
I will never forgive my grandmother for not telling me sooner. I would have avoided wasting my favorite French perfume which I practically use with an eyedropper.
Since I want to prevent you from committing the same mistake that I did, take note of the magical recipe.
Tabla de Contenidos
- 2 homemade recipes to remove that ammonia smell from your hair
- How to eliminate other bad odors from your hair
2 homemade recipes to remove that ammonia smell from your hair
Ammonia hat is used in hair dyes can leave an unpleasant smell in your hair which lasts for a few hours, or even days.
Given that ammonia is pretty alkaline, an acidic substance will effectively eliminate that horrible, unwanted smell.
Fortunately, and thanks to my grandmother, I have the at-home remedy that is very easy to make which you will be able to use to eliminate the ammonia smell without ruining your color.
But in addition, it also has other benefits, like for example, giving your hair a spectacular shine.
So, in one corner of the ring, baking soda.
And in the other corner, ammonia.
Who do you think is going to win?
Baking soda and apple cider vinegar to eliminate the ammonia smell
This recipe is more than easy, and the best thing is that you surely have all of the ingredients at home.
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- Warm wáter, from the tap
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda with enough warm water to form a paste.
- Apply the baking soda to the ends of your hair, opening the way from ends to the roots.
- Massage the baking soda in your hair for five to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar with 2 cups of warm water.
- Rinse the baking soda from your hair with the apple cider vinegar mixture.
- Wait fifteen to thirty minutes, while the ingredients act dissipating the ammonia smell.
- Finally, rinse with plenty of warm water and wash and condition your hair like you usually do.
The first time that I did it, I messed up a bit, mostly in trying to get the paste consistency with the baking soda.
However, the second time, I was an expert, almost a laboratory technician. And what made me the happiest was that I definitely was able to eliminate the odors after dyeing my hair.
But my grandmother, who at this point seemed to be an encyclopedia of remedies to prevent certain odors in your hair, also suggested another remedy for me to get rid of the ammonia smell.
And pay attention, because surely, in your refrigerator you have this round, brilliant, red gentleman.
Do you know what I’m talking about?
You guessed it!
Recipe for tomato juice to eliminate the ammonia smell from your hair
Do you know why tomato eliminates the ammonia smell from your hair?
Because tomato juice is acidic and helps to combat the natural alkalinity of chemical substances like ammonia, which stay in the hair after dyeing and then cause a bad smell.
- Juice of two tomatoes
- Liquify two tomatoes and separate the pulp from the juice with a colander.
- Wet your hair with water. You don’t need to soak it.
- Once your hair is damp, apply the tomato juice over your whole head.
- Massage the juice uniformly with your fingers so that it is completely distributed from your scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Wrap your hair in an old towel or in a shower cap and let the tomato juice sit for at least thirty minutes.
- After that time has passed, wash your hair, and if possible, use a shampoo made from fruits and flowers.
This recipe is much more simple to prepare that the previous one, but it is always good to have two recipes, just in case at some point you are missing any of the ingredients.
Our hair, unfortunately, is not immune to being plagued with other unpleasant odors.
That’s why I asked my grandmother, at this point I think that she is an expert, about how to get rid of other odors from my hair.
How to eliminate other bad odors from your hair
Before, I told you that ammonia left an unpleasant smell in my hair after coloring it.
But there are also other reasons for bad odors, like dandruff, for example.
Here, I’ll tell you a few recipes to get rid of that bad odor from your hair.
How to eliminate the bad odor from dandruff from your hair
The bad odor from a greasy scalp is generally the result of bacterial activities. But, there is a natural remedy to eliminate this bad smell.
- 6 drops of tea tree oil
- 1-2 tablespoons of almond oil
- Mix the tea tree oil with the sweet almond oil in the specified amounts.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and a bit in the rest of your hair.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing.
The pleasant smell of tea tree oil can leave your hair with a fresh smell and its antimicrobial properties help you fight against those microbes that cause the smell.
Have you ever been in a room with ten smokers?
Here I have the solution so that your hair doesn’t smell terribly of tobacco.
How to get rid of the cigarette smell from your hair
Your hair is made of proteins and it is porous y permeable, which means that it absorbs smells easily.
Some types of hair are more susceptible than others, which is why while your friend’s hair smells like strawberry shampoo all day, yours smells like a combination of cigarettes and fried food after the meeting.
Essential oils have been used for years for beauty and well-being because they are incredible.
Choose your favorite aroma, it can be lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus or orange, and drop a few drops into your hands.
Rub your hands together and smooth them through your hair. You will immediately see that the cigarette smell disappears.
And now you know how to get rid of the ammonia smell from your hair. What recipe will you use? Tomato juice or baking soda?