- If you’ve used purple shampoo to tone your hair and it’s still yellow, you can tone it again.
- If you’ve used toner and your hair is still yellow, you can tone it again with purple shampoo. This way you’ll remove the yellow without drying out your hair. I’ll tell you how to do this later.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Purple shampoo not working on my hair, what should I do?
Toning yellow hair can be a real art. Chances are that the first time you tone your hair after bleaching or even dyeing your hair, it will still be yellow.
Why? It’s because yellow is a difficult color to neutralize.
To re-tone your hair if it’s still yellow, remember what product you used the first time to tone it.
- If you used toner and your hair is still yellow , my advice is to tone it again with a purple shampoo.
- If you used purple shampoo and your hair is still yellow , you can tone it again using a toner.
Let’s look at the details for each of these options.
Toning yellow hair again with toner if purple shampoo didn’t work
Before applying the toner, let me ask you a question.How many times did you use purple shampoo to tone your yellow hair?
Girl! It makes sense your hair is still yellow because purple shampoo tones hair gradually. This means you’ll need to wash your hair several times with the shampoo to remove the yellow completely.
Now if you’ve already washed your hair several times with purple shampoo but it’s still yellow , you can tone it again using a toner.
But be very careful with how long you leave the toner on. If you leave toner on for longer than twenty minutes, your hair can go purple.
Toner acts immediately so you can tone your hair in just one application.
- Comb your dry hair and separate it into four sections.
- Prepare the mixture of 20-volume developer and purple toner.
- Apply the mixture from the roots to the ends. Leave the toner on for 20 minutes at most. Check the color constantly because you can rinse the toner out after five or ten minutes if your hair is no longer yellow.
- After rinsing, apply a conditioner to the lengths and ends.
Once you tone your yellow hair, you can maintain the color by washing your hair with purple shampoo once or twice a week.
Toning yellow hair again with purple shampoo if the toner didn’t work and your hair is dry
At this point, I want to help you reflect.If your hair is still yellow after using a toner, two things could have happened since the toner acts immediately.
- Maybe you left the toner on for less time than your hair needed.
- Maybe you chose the wrong toner.
Here’s what could have happened.
Can you reapply a toner if your hair is still yellow?
Yes, but as a stylist, I don’t recommend it. Why not? Because you apply toner with developer. And your hair has gone through several chemical processes, such as bleaching or coloring, then toning.
Therefore, it’s already lost nutrients and moisture.
So I recommend you use a purple shampoo to tone your hair again if it’s still yellow.
The purple shampoo will gradually tone yellow hair each time you wash it, without ruining it. Chances are, after using purple shampoo twice, your hair will be toned with no traces of yellow.
- Apply the purple shampoo to your damp hair, from the roots to the ends.
- Leave it on for three to five minutes.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm to cold water.
- Apply sulfate-free conditioner to the ends and lengths only, not your scalp. You can also use purple conditioner.
Use purple shampoo twice a week to keep your hair toned. And remember, you must use sulfate-free products. Sulfates are detergents that remove the effect of purple shampoo or toner.
Now you know you can tone your hair again if it’s still yellow. I highly recommend that if you’ve used toner and your hair is still yellow, use purple shampoo to tone it again to avoid damaging it.