- Difference 1: Keracolor is easier to find than Overtone.
- Difference 2: Overtone offers a wider colors range than Keracolor.
- Difference 3: Keracolor is harder to apply than Overtone.
- Difference 4: Overtone pigments are more persistent than Keracolor’s.
Why are these differences between Overtone and Keracolor important?
Because they’ll help you choose the best option for your hair and what you want to achieve with your hair color.
- If you want a long-lasting hair color that allows you to change the shade every time the pigments wash out, your best option is Keracolor.
Even though its pigments are intense, the color will wash out after 15 washes.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: 7 longest-lasting semi-permanent hair dyes
- If you don’t have much experience with fantasy hair dyes, your best choice is Overtone.
You simply choose the color you want, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and you’ll get the shade of your choice.
It’s also the best option if your hair is dark, and you don’t want to bleach it to wear a fantasy tone. The application of Keracolor is a bit more complex, and I’ll tell you more about it later.
As you can see, these are small differences, but they can make a great difference in your experience with any of these hair dyes.
However, both brands start from the same concept: they are semi-permanent hair coloring conditioners.
Overtone is more famous because it caused a revolution in the fantasy colors market. Keracolor, in turn, is one of the best sellers online.
Another important difference is that Keracolor is a hair coloring conditioner and has no other options while Overtone offers hair dyes, hair coloring conditioners, and toners. So, you can choose the option that best suits your beauty routine.
Beyond the differences and similarities, you’ll be able to decide if Overtone is the fantasy hair color you need or if you should opt for Keracolor. Let’s take a closer look at the differences.
Tabla de Contenidos
- Difference 1: Keracolor is readily available on the web and specialty stores, while Overtone is only available on their own website.
- Difference 2: While Keracolor offers 18 colors, Overtone has a palette of 40 different shades, plus a special line for dark hair that doesn’t require prior bleach.
- Difference 3: Keracolor is more difficult to apply than oVertone because the intensity of the color depends on the exposure time of the hair dye. However, oVertone guarantees the color from the moment you buy it.
- Difference 4: Overtone hair dyes contain very resistant pigments, and some of their shades may require bleaching to be removed. Keracolor, on the other hand, fades with washes even though it’s designed with intense pigments.
Difference 1: Keracolor is readily available on the web and specialty stores, while Overtone is only available on their own website.
I understand that we live in times of globalization. Therefore, the Internet makes things much easier for us when it is time to get a certain product.
You go online, browse a couple of pages, and two days later a product arrives at your door from China.
That can be a big advantage.
But Keracolor is much more accessible because you can get it in specialty stores and on the web.
And if you can get it in specialized stores, you’ll have the opportunity to ask about it to the sales people. They usually have a lot of information about the products they sell.
Most online stores also have a chat. However, I’m old school and prefer a real person when I want to solve doubts or ask questions.
Still, this isn’t the most important difference between Keracolor and Overtone. It’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Difference 2: While Keracolor offers 18 colors, Overtone has a palette of 40 different shades, plus a special line for dark hair that doesn’t require prior bleach.
Regarding fantasy colors, we want to choose our favorite shade. That’s why the wider the color range, the better.
- Overtone has a range of up to 40 long-lasting shades. Some of them are coral or old pink, green, blue, and violet.
Also, they have a lighter or darker variety. For example, extreme purple or pastel purple.
Keracolor has a range of 19 long-lasting colors, including teal, light pink, platinum, and violet. But that’s not all.
If you want a lighter or darker shade, you’ll have to leave it on your hair for more or less time.
That brings us to the third difference.
Difference 3: Keracolor is more difficult to apply than oVertone because the intensity of the color depends on the exposure time of the hair dye. However, oVertone guarantees the color from the moment you buy it.
If you don’t have much experience in fantasy colors, my advice is to start experimenting with Overtone.
Because the color you choose will be the one you can finally wear in your hair. What do I mean?
I’ll get to that point, but first, let’s look at the similarity in the application.
You have to follow the same steps to apply both products:
- Comb your hair and separate it into 4 sections holding them with clips.
- With your gloves on, start applying the hair dye from the back, helping you with a hair dye brush.
And here’s where things get interesting.
- Overtone shades only need 20 minutes of exposure.
- However, if you choose Keracolor, the intensity of the color will depend on how long you leave it on your hair. The longer the exposure, the more intense or darker the color will be.
- If you want a pastel pink, you should leave it on for 10 minutes.
- If you want a lilac color, you’ll have to leave it on for 10 minutes.
- If you want a midnight blue, you should leave it on for 30 minutes.
- If you want a dark blue-green, you should leave it on for 30 minutes.
So, if you don’t have much experience, the color you get can be unpredictable.
Now, as for color maintenance, both brands are the same. You’ll need to use them every time you wash your hair because they aren’t semi-permanent hair dyes. They are conditioners that add color and moisture to the hair. How do you use them to maintain the color?
- In the shower, wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo.
- Apply the hair color conditioner and leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with plenty of lukewarm water.
Difference 4: Overtone hair dyes contain very resistant pigments, and some of their shades may require bleaching to be removed. Keracolor, on the other hand, fades with washes even though it’s designed with intense pigments.
Before going deeper into this topic, I think we should clarify that the duration of the hair dyes will depend on your hair care routine and on using them regularly.
- According to the manufacturers, Overtone lasts for 20 washes, while Keracolor lasts for 10 to 15 washes.
In other words, if you only use the hair coloring conditioner once, that will be the duration on your hair.
If you apply hair coloring conditioners every time you wash your hair, you’ll extend the duration of the color because you’ll deposit color pigments in your hair every time.
- Now, I think that you should also consider the intensity of the pigments.
If you want to change color frequently, I advise you to opt for Keracolor.
- Overtone contains intense pigments that are great for the first application. However, if you want to change colors, it could become a real problem.
Many clients who came to my salon after using Overtone, had gone through many techniques to remove the color, such as color stripping, clarifying shampoo, baking soda, and lemon until they decided to bleach their hair.
- Overtone colors such as hot pink, ginger, and green are hard to strip out, and you’ll see traces of color for several months. The experience with Keracolor is completely different.
Although its pigments are long-lasting, once you discontinue its use, the color will wash out. Then, it’ll be gone after 4 to 6 washes.
This will allow you to apply the shade you want without an aggressive process for your hair. Therefore, you’ll able to change color once the hair dye washes out without bleaching your hair.
Overtone is longer lasting and offers more colors. Meanwhile, Keracolor is easier to change and strip out. You should take the latter into account if you like to renew your look frequently.
And now tell me, which one will you choose?