- To neutralize the red tones of your brown hair, you should use products that contain green pigments.
- There’re two types of products you can use. The simplest, which will work in just two or three washes, is the green shampoo, for example, the Matrix Dark Envy, or the Pravana The Perfect Brunette.
- If you prefer natural products, you can create your own green hair mask, but it’ll take a little longer to neutralize the red tones.
Blessed are those who use the color wheel, for out of it will come the Kingdom of the Neutralized Tones!
But, why blessed?
Because due to the color wheel, we know that green will put an end to those reddish tones in your hair.
It doesn’t matter how they appeared, but they are there bright and living up to their color. The explanation is quite simple.
Brown hair includes much red in its composition. Due to the sun’s effects, the chlorine of the water, the pollution, and other factors, red turns up faded brown.
Also, if you dyed your hair with beautiful dark chocolate or mahogany brown, be prepared to fight with the red tones in a short time.
But cheer up, as we are women ready to fight. So make up your mind!
- If you want to get rid of the red tones in your brown hair right away, get a green shampoo.
- If you’re an eco-friendly person passionate about making natural cosmetics, I’ll show you how to make your own green mask to eliminate red tones. However, you may need seven to ten days to see the results. If you’re looking for a natural product, there is a price to pay, right?
Have you made the decision?
Then, keep reading, because I’ll tell you:
- How to neutralize red tones in brown hair with a green toning shampoo.
- How to remove red tones with a mask or homemade green toner
How to neutralize red tones in brown hair with a green toning shampoo
Green is the opposite of red in the color wheel. It means that it neutralizes it, and no hint of color is left in your brown hair. In other words, if you use the green shampoo, your hair will be brown in a few washes.
Yes, this product will make unwanted tones disappear in 2 or 3 washes, leaving your brown color perfect.
It also has a great benefit: it doesn’t contain aggressive hair chemicals as hair dye does. So, your hair won’t be damaged, and you can use it daily.
Do you want to know how to use it correctly?
- Wet your hair, either while showering or outside the shower.
- Apply a small amount of green shampoo and massage gently.
- Leave on for 3-5 minutes, according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Before using the shampoo, read the recommendations! Some brands use stronger pigments. If you leave the product in longer, you can end up with green hair.
- Rinse with plenty of water, drain, and dry your hair.
If the red tones don’t completely disappear, you can wash your hair the next day. Most likely, after the second wash, your hair will be free of red.
Anxious to buy your green toning shampoo right away? Take down notes and prepare your credit card.
3 green shampoos that work great for removing red tones from hair
This brand offers you its Dark Envy shampoo and conditioner for dark brown or black hair.
The good thing about this shampoo and the next one is that as they are well-known brands. Also, they’re relatively easy to get in both online and offline stores. If you live in Latin America you can look for it in Mercado Libre. If you live in North America you can get it in Amazon.
This brand offers to highlight your brown color by eliminating any trace of red or orange.
3- PUNKY COLOR GREENGARIOUS 3-in-1
Greengarious eliminates red tones by providing excellent quality pigments to your hair. It also repairs and nourishes it.
So, the solution has arrived for those who want to eliminate red tones naturally.
How to remove red tones with a mask or homemade green toner
Some years ago, all kinds of food products started to be used for hair nutrition or color. Without going any further, coconut is the new star in the hair industry with excellent results.
In this case, we’ll leave the coconut aside, and get to work with food coloring. What color will it be? Green, of course!
Then, all you need is green food coloring and a conditioner. Yes, with those two simple ingredients you’ll say “goodbye” to those red tones you don’t like.
You can also use shampoo to prepare the mixture. However, keep in mind that the conditioner will moisturize your hair more, especially if it contains some protein or essential oil, such as argan, keratin, or jojoba.
Check that your conditioner contains one of these ingredients because it’ll remove red tones and moisturize your hair. Two in one.
Step by step:
- Add 2 or 3 drops of green hair dye to your conditioner and mix well to distribute the green color evenly.
- Use gloves during preparation and application so as not to stain the skin on your hands.
- Wash your hair with your usual shampoo. Then, apply the conditioner and leave it on for 10-12 minutes.
- Finally, rinse your hair with plenty of cold water.
Most likely, you’ll need to apply the home green toner several times to your hair. You’re a green girl with a lot of patience, so possibly after four washes, the red tones will disappear completely.
Red tones are no longer a problem for women with brown hair. If you don’t want them, you can easily remove them.
You can use a green shampoo or make your own green mask to neutralize those unwanted red tones in your hair.
Now tell me, which of these two methods will you choose?