- If you want to tone down your pink hair quickly, you should wash your hair with anti-dandruff shampoo. The more you wash it, the faster the pink dye will fade. Of course, there are some precautions you should take. I’ll tell you about them in a few moments.
- If you’re not in that much of a hurry, just wait. Fancy color dye lasts three to four weeks (depending on the brand), so it will fade as you wash your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED: Does semi-permanent hair dye wash out completely? After how long?
Have you decided to color your hair pink? How did you find the experience?
From what I can tell, considering that you’ve come this far with a concern to lower the pink tone of your hair, the experience has overwhelmed you.
What do I mean? Fantasy colors are great, but you have to know how to wear them.
If you thought your life would be the same with your pink hair as when you had it blonde, look at the evidence. Your life changed.
Half your wardrobe doesn’t fit because it doesn’t match the pink in your hair. Most kids when they see you on the street, yell at their mom, “there goes Little Pony.” Also, all the towels in your house are a sudden pink.
But you love pink. It reminds you of the world of unicorns and fairies and rainbows. After all, you want to be different. It’s fine that we’re all looking for a difference, isn’t it?
So, you get the bright idea that maybe you don’t want to say goodbye to your pink, but you want to tone it down. Can that be possible? Of course, it can.
What’s more, you can do it more or less immediately, or simply let the tone fade as you wash your hair.
Do you know why you have this alternative?
Because temporary dyes last 3 to 4 weeks at most, as the color fades with each wash.
So, my little pink hair fairy, don’t despair. Even your pink aura doesn’t have to disappear completely. Today, I will tell you:
- How to fade the pink shade of your hair quickly
- How to choose a lighter shade of pink
Tabla de Contenidos
How to quickly tone down the pink shade of your hair
I know that when I say “quickly”, you imagine that the change will be at Roadrunner’s speed. But it’s not. I’ll show you how to fade the pink tone faster, but that doesn’t mean it’s immediate.
Instead of the speed of the Roadrunner, we will use the speed of the Pink Panther, which walked slower but safer.
Do you know why the pink dye will always end up fading, sooner or later?
Temporary or semi-permanent dye does not penetrate hair fibers like a permanent dye. It only coats them with color and the hair partially absorbs the pigment. Your regular sulfate-containing shampoo removes some of the pigment with every wash.
So, in three to four weeks, your pink color will be dull and you’ll need to renew it.
To make it faster, and so that you don’t have to wait for those three or four weeks, you can use an anti-dandruff shampoo. It is the shampoo that contains the most sulfates.
In case you didn’t know, sulfates are chemicals that remove dirt from hair. However, they don’t have the power to distinguish dirt from dye pigments. That’s why anti-dandruff shampoo will wash out the pink pigments in the dye.
But, beware. I recommend that you moisturize your hair deeply, to begin with. Anti-dandruff shampoo dries out the hair a lot. You’ll probably notice it’s a little bit more dry and dehydrated.
Don’t worry, it’s nothing that a good moisturizing mask or coconut oil can’t repair.
Once the tone of the pink has faded, you’ll only have to make one decision: leave it as it is because you finally like the color, or apply a new pink color.
How to choose a lighter shade of pink
If you’ve used the anti-dandruff shampoo to lower the shade of the pink dye, and the color you get doesn’t suit you because it’s too pale, you can choose a new shade of pink.
There are several brands of semi-permanent dyes that are very popular these days. Personally, if you can get them, I recommend these two brands:
- Manic Panic: it has colors FLEURS DU MAL, CLEO ROSE, or COTTON CANDY. The latter is a little bit darker, but it works perfectly for what you want to achieve
- Artic Fox: his pastel roses are FROSE and the VIRGIN PINK.
Either of these options will give your hair a sober pink color without any strident shades. Of course, you can also look for other brands and shades of pink that you like.Remember that, for the tone to look just as you expect it to, you’ll have to wait for the pink in your hair to fade, either by washing or by using anti-dandruff shampoo.
You probably already know how to apply the new lighter shade of pink, but just in case, I give you a very simple step-by-step guide.
Step by step to apply a lighter pink shade
- Comb and untangle your hair. In a plastic container, pour the dye.
- Using a hair dye brush, apply the mixture from root to tip, covering the entire surface of your hair. Leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Then, rinse your hair until the water runs clear, and do not use shampoo during rinsing because it will wash away the pink pigments. It is neither recommended to use conditioner.
How do you feel about your lighter shade of pink? Can you say, like Edith Piaf did, “I see life in pink or la vie en rose”?
To tone down pink-colored hair, all you have to do is wait three or four weeks. The dye pigments will fade away with each wash.
If you don’t want to wait that long, you can always use a daily anti-dandruff shampoo, which will speed up the fading. So, in four or five washes, your color will look a lot paler.
The colors through which you look at life don’t matter, as long as it’s not all black and white, don’t you think?