It’s recently become very popular to use rice water as a hair treatment for a variety of reasons. Although rice water is a natural product, it shouldn’t be taken lightly.
It’s not a scientifically proven treatment.
So it hasn’t been proven not to have any negative or undesired effects.
Because your health -and let’s not forget beauty- are so important, we’re now going to discuss the possible side of using rice water as a hair treatment.
Tabla de Contenidos
Can treating your hair with rice water cause side effects?
Rice water can be used in many ways, as a conditioner, as a shampoo, as a treatment for curly hair, and more. Although there are no specific situations in which it should not be used, rice water can dry out your hair.
- Therefore, people with a dry scalp should not use rice water excessively. If that’s the case, it’s recommended to use rice water no more than once or twice a week.
- Many people claim that rice water can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week and keep its restorative properties. But that’s simply untrue, and could even cause undesired effects.
Using rice water that’s been fermented or over two days old could make your hair feel stiff and leave a rancid smell
- And because using rice water can dry out your hair, it’s very important to rehydrate your locks after using this treatment. Failing to rehydrate your hair could cause it to become very fragile.
- Lastly, this treatment must be used regularly to be effective, and it takes about a month to start seeing results. If you tend to be forgetful or will have difficulty making time for the treatment every week, this particular remedy might not be for you.
Is using rice water worth the effort?
Rice water is rich in vitamins B and C, and also contains important nutrients such as manganese, selenium, zinc, magnesium, iodine, potassium and fiber. All of this creates a combination that nourishes hair follicles and helps repair damaged cells.
These nutrients also have antioxidant properties that help remove toxins from your scalp, which can help prevent common signs of aging such as alopecia and gray hair.
Is rice water worth the effort?
Regularly using rice water can have many benefits, both for your skin and hair. It can eliminate dandruff, stimulate hair growth, strengthen strands, and even improve and revitalize how your hair looks.
And although using rice water in your hair isn’t dangerous, it does require some discipline. But, if you follow our recommendations, your hair and scalp can greatly benefit from rice water treatments.
Benefits of using rice water on curly hair
Generally, curly hair tends to be brittle, very dry, or both. But rice water contains a protein that penetrates and nourishes the hair strand, leaving it softer and more manageable.
That being said, it’s important to use rice water correctly to prevent any unwanted effects. Ideally, you should apply rice water for fifteen to thirty minutes so it can completely saturate your hair. This way your locks have time to slowly absorb the nutrients in the rice water, and the beneficial effects will remain even after washing your hair.
How should I make rice water to get the best results?
There’s plenty of ways to make rice water on the internet but read on to learn the most effective. But the best part is that no matter what recipe you choose, you’ll only need two ingredients: water and rice.
Rice soaked in water
This method is ideal for busy people without a lot of spare time, who are looking for a quick -but effective- treatment. Not only that, but it’s very easy to do.
- Rinse one cup of rice well, and place it in a clean bowl.
- Add two to three cups of water, let it soak for thirty minutes, and strain the water into a clean container or jar.
Boiled rice water
Rice water made this way can be diluted before used in your hair. How much the solution should be diluted depends on how long your hair is, and how oily it tends to be. A 1:10 concentration is a good place to start, while the more oily your hair is, the lower the concentration should be.
- To make concentrated rice water, simply bring a half cup of rice and one cup of water to boil.
- Then strain the mixture into a clean container.
- Ideally, rice water should be used in the same way you would use a conditioner. Apply the rice water to clean, damp hair, gently massage your scalp and wait five to ten minutes before rinsing.
If you have dry or curly hair, you can get better results by adding a few drops of essential oils such as geranium, rosemary or lavender. Not only will they leave your hair smelling wonderful, but they also have medicinal uses and can help heal a damaged or itchy scalp. And there you have it! Leave us a comment and let us know if you’re planning on using rice water on your hair.