- If you want to oil your hair because it’s dry, I recommend using the oil three times a week.
- If you regularly color your hair and it has lost its shine and softness, I recommend you oil your hair once a week.
- Alternatively, if you want to thicken your hair, I recommend you oil it twice a week.
- Similarly, I recommend using the oil once a fortnight to stimulate your hair growth.
- Finally, I recommend using the oil once every 15 days to repair your hair after bleaching.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How to use oil without making your hair greasy: 5 factors you should take into account
As you can see, you must consider two things to know how many times a week you should oil your hair: what you want to use the oil for and what oil you want to use.
We’ll get into these questions in more detail later.
What is clear is that you SHOULDN’T use any oil daily. Otherwise, you’ll only saturate your hair with fatty acids and clog your scalp pores.
If you clog the pores of your scalp, you could cause hair loss, dandruff, flaking, and a bad smell in your hair and scalp.
So, let’s analyze different oils and the frequency of application per week.
Apply oil three times a week to moisturize dry hair
In this case, you can opt for coconut oil or argan oil, which are light oils that your hair absorbs quickly through the hair cuticles and reach the innermost layer.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I leave coconut oil in my hair for 2 or 3 days?
They’re also easy to remove from the hair with a simple shampoo wash and don’t generate build-up in the hair, like other types of oils.
You can use the oil in two ways: as a mask for twenty minutes three times a week. Alternatively, you can leave it on your hair overnight twice a week.
How to rinse the oil?
- Wet your hair with warm water and let it run for three minutes.
- Apply your usual shampoo and massage all over your hair and scalp.
- Rinse your hair with warm water. If you have oil residue, shampoo your hair again.
- Rinse and apply conditioner. Leave in for two to three minutes.
- Rinse with cold water to close the cuticles.
If you want to restore shine and softness to your color-treated hair, oil it once a week
In this case, I recommend you choose rose or jojoba oil. Ideally, apply them to the hair and leave them on overnight.
- Apply the jojoba oil to your dry hair and gently massage from roots to ends.
- Gather your hair and wrap it with a shower cap.
- Don’t forget to protect your pillowcase.
- The next morning, wash your hair with your usual shampoo and apply a small amount of conditioner.
Use the oil twice a week to thicken your hair
In this case, I advise you to use a mixture of coconut oil and rosemary oil. Alternatively, if you use pure rosemary oil, you could cause scalp irritation.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How to dilute rosemary oil for hair? 3 options according to your needs
Mix 10 drops of rosemary oil with two tablespoons of coconut oil, apply the mixture to your scalp, and massage gently. Leave the oil mixture on for thirty minutes and wash your hair.Keep the oil application routine for at least six months Otherwise, you won’t notice results.
If you want to stimulate hair growth, oil your hair once a fortnight
In this case, you should use heavier oils that penetrate the hair’s core and act on the hair follicles.
In this case, you can use castor oil, but remember to apply it to your hair once a month.
You shouldn’t use castor oil daily because it’s very heavy, and if you use it too often, you could clog the hair follicles. Therefore, you could prevent hair growth.
Also, you must respect the exposure times, which are usually from two to six hours.
Apply two or three drops of castor oil to your scalp and massage gently for fifteen minutes. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the oil on for two hours. After the exposure time, wash your hair twice with shampoo.
If you want to repair your bleached hair, use the oil once a fortnight
Generally, after bleaching, the hair is very damaged. So, you must implement a plan of action to repair it.
Oil can be your great ally. In this case, I recommend you use avocado oil because it contains a lot of antioxidants, minerals, and proteins.
However, you should use it once a fortnight because if you saturate your hair with antioxidants and minerals, you could increase breakage.
You could also use avocado oil in small doses and remove damaged ends so that the oil acts efficiently.
- Apply ten drops of avocado oil to your hands and rub them together.
- Distribute them in your hair from roots to ends.
- Massage gently with your fingertips for ten minutes.
- Turn your hair with a shower cap. Next morning, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
Now you know how many times a week you can use the oil and which one suits you best according to what you want to achieve. Get to work now!