- You should usually leave argan oil on your hair for 20 to 30 minutes.
- But before we talk about times, you need to know what you’ll use argan oil for.
- So, if your hair is very damaged and you want to repair it, you should leave the argan oil overnight on your hair.
- If you want to moisturize your hair because it feels a bit rough and frizzy, you should leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes.
- And if you want to give it softness and shine you can apply four or five drops of argan oil, and since it is such a small amount, you shouldn’t rinse it out.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I leave argan oil in my hair for a week?
In short, if we talk about how long to leave argan oil on your hair , you should first focus on what your hair needs.
Because argan oil serves to repair hair damaged by bleaching, for example, as well as to eliminate frizz.
Of course, if your hair is damaged by bleaching, you will need to leave the argan oil in longer than if you want to hide frizz.
So the key question is: what does your hair need?
- If you want softer and shinier hair , you can use a few drops of argan oil and leave it in your hair until the next wash.
- If your hair needs hydration and nourishment , you should leave it for 20 to 30 minutes.
- And if you need a deep repair or notice that you lose a lot of hair , you can leave it on overnight. This is because your hair needs more time to absorb the nutrients from the argan oil.
So, let’s start by talking about how long you should leave argan oil in damaged hair.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Does argan oil darken or lighten hair?
You should leave argan oil in very damaged hair overnight
And this has a logical explanation.
During the night our body replenishes cells, which facilitates the exchange of vitamins and nutrients in every part of our body. And hair is no exception. Let’s see what that means.
Every hair is composed of three layers: the core, hair fiber and cuticles.
During the night, while you dream of your prince charming or of becoming the next Tik Tok trend, the core sends vitamins and amino acids for your hair fiber to absorb and the cuticles stay hydrated.If you apply argan oil at night, the nourishment and repair process that occurs in your hair will be much deeper . Because argan oil will add nutrients, vitamins, amino acids and hydration.
Let’s confirm this with another example.
Yogurt provides many vitamins, proteins and minerals.
But if you add fruits and cereals to that same yogurt, what happens? You’ll be providing your body with all the nutritional load of yogurt, plus the fiber from the cereals and the water and vitamins from the fruits. All of that is ideal for improving intestinal health.
Of course, if your hair is very damaged , you should use the oil at least once a week and leave it on overnight.
To avoid getting your pillow all greasy, I recommend you cover your hair with a cap.
How should you use argan oil and leave it on overnight?
- Apply the argan oil from the ends to the roots, massaging your hair for five minutes.
- Place a few drops of oil on your fingers and massage your scalp for five minutes.
- Cover your hair with the cap and start counting sheep or fall asleep watching your favorite series on Netflix.
- The next morning, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
If you want to moisturize your hair, leave the argan oil on for 20 to 30 minutes
When might your hair need moisturizing?
- If you color your hair frequently.
- If you use a straightener once a week or more.
- If you use a blow dryer every time you wash your hair.
- If you frequently expose your hair to the sun’s rays for a long time and without protection.
In any of these cases, it will be very useful to use argan oil as a moisturizing mask.
Because if you leave the oil on for 20 to 30 minutes and apply it two or three times a week, you will moisturize the hair cuticles. These are the outermost part of the hair, and therefore the most exposed to damage
I want to recommend you always put argan oil on the lengths and ends. Why? Because if you apply it directly to your roots, your hair will become greasy. You can clog the pores of your scalp.
Always apply the oil upward from the ends.
Once the thirty minutes have elapsed, wash your hair with your usual shampoo.
If you want to eliminate frizz you can use a few drops of argan oil and leave it in until the next wash
In this case, the oil would work as a leave-in conditioner.
Let’s see some examples:
- If you blow-dry your hair and there are a few straggly, frizzy hairs, place three drops in the palms of your hands. Apply from the ends and massage the oil into the roots. Run your palms with the remaining argan oil over your lengths.
- If you want to add shine to your hair, put two drops of argan oil in your hands and rub them together. Run the palms of your hands all over your hair, to give it a light coat of shine. Start with the lengths and ends to avoid greasing the roots.
- If you want to give a bit of softness to your ends, put four drops of oil on your palms. Rub them together and then run your palms through your ends.
Now you know how long you should leave argan oil in your hair. It depends on what your hair needs.
Finally, what if you want to stimulate hair growth? You should massage your scalp with a few drops of oil twice a week and leave it on for twenty minutes. After this time, wash your hair with shampoo.