- If you want coconut oil to repair your hair, you should use it once a week and leave it overnight.
- Alternatively, to moisturize your hair, you should use it twice a week as a mask.
- Finally, if your hair is frizzy, you should use coconut oil two or three times a week by applying a few drops to your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I leave coconut oil in my hair for 2 or 3 days?
Do you want to know how often you have to use coconut oil on your hair?
Coconut oil is very versatile.
It’s a natural hair remedy that moisturizes and nourishes your hair by repairing the damage caused by chemical processes, heat tools, and even sun exposure.
Of course the frequency I mentioned at the beginning is just a general idea.You can try the frequency that best suits your hair and goals.
I can tell you to use it twice a week, but if your hair is oily, the oiliness of your hair will increase. I’m sure you’ll be searching high and low to find me.
So, common sense always helps though it may seem the least common sense sometimes. There’s a reason for that.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: What to mix with coconut oil for hair growth? Don’t miss this 4 ideas
So, regarding how often to use coconut oil on the hair, the frequencies that I suggest will be a guide for a few weeks.
After a few weeks, you´ll be able to evaluate the results you’re getting and make the necessary adjustments.
I should also warn you that some of the effects of coconut oil on your hair are immediate but others may take after several applications.
- If you want to remove frizz or restore shine to your hair, you´ll notice the effects of coconut oil from the first application.
- However, if you want to repair damaged hair, it´ll take you three to four applications to see the effects of coconut oil.
With all this in mind, let’s find out how often you need to use coconut oil on your hair.
Tabla de Contenidos
Coconut oil is used once a week as a night mask to repair very damaged hair
Did you bleach your hair? Did you get a balayage a few days ago?
Then, I’m talking to you.
After these processes, your hair is probably showing obvious signs of damage.
Why? Bleaching weakens the cuticles and can even break them. So, your hair will have lost moisture and nutrients.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long to leave coconut oil in bleached hair? It depends on your goals
That’s the same as saying your hair is badly damaged.
If this is your case, I recommend you apply coconut oil and leave it on overnight, once a week, for at least four weeks.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can You Leave Coconut Oil in Your Hair Overnight? Hair sleeping mask
Yes, four weeks.
Your hair is seriously damaged and a single application of coconut oil won’t repair it. The damage is deep and you must be patient if you want to repair it.
How should you apply coconut oil as a night mask once a week?
- Comb your dry hair and place coconut oil to cover lengths and ends in the palm of your hand.
- Massage your hair.
- Repeat to cover the top of your hair, but avoid touching the roots.
- Comb your hair with oil and cover it with a shower cap.
- The next morning, wash your hair with hot water and shampoo to remove any remaining oil. Rinse, apply conditioner, and leave in for three minutes.
- Rinse out the conditioner with lukewarm water.
Four weeks after using coconut oil once a week as a night mask, it´ll be time to evaluate your hair.
- If your hair is softer and shinier, has less frizz, and feels heavier and stronger, continue with the repair routine. Keep on applying coconut oil once a week for a month.
- If your hair is too oily and you can’t remove the oil residue, your hair is saturated and this routine is too intense for your mane. You should opt for another repair routine so that your hair doesn’t suffer from excess oil.
Use coconut oil twice a week to moisturize slightly damaged hair
Do you blow-dry your hair every day? Do you iron your hair two or three times a week? Do you play sports outdoors every day without protecting your hair?
In that case, I’m talking to you.You should use coconut oil twice a week. Heat tools or the sun, remove the hair’s natural moisture and break the cuticles.
What does this mean?
Let’s do a test. Touch a hair strand right now. How does it feel?
If your answer is that it’s rougher and drier than a broom straw, it’s lost its natural moisture because the cuticles are broken. So, they don’t retain moisture.
Don’t panic. There’s nothing that coconut oil can’t fix if you use it with the right frequency.
- You should use coconut oil twice a week as if it were a mask.
How do you do it?
- Comb your dry hair, apply a few drops of oil in the palm of your hand, and start applying it from roots to ends. Coat all of your hair with the coconut oil in a thin layer to be absorbed.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap, wrap it with a towel to keep it warm, and leave the oil on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with shampoo and apply conditioner.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water.
If you use coconut oil twice a week, don’t apply the oil overnight because you may saturate your hair with oil and clog your pores.
If you want to eliminate frizz, apply a few drops of oil two or three times a week
If your hair gets frizzy when you comb it, coconut oil can also help.
The application is very simple because you have to apply a few drops all over your hair two or three times a week without rinsing.
How do you do it?
- Comb your hair dry or wet and in the palm of your hand and apply 5 to 7 drops of coconut oil. It all depends on the length and amount of hair.
- Rub your hands together to warm the oil and start running your palms through your hair from the ends to the roots. You can do this several times to spread the coconut oil properly.
- Massage your hair, comb through, and don’t rinse.
Now you know how often you can use coconut oil according to your hair needs.
You should consider the frequency I recommend as a guideline and make adjustments according to the results you get.
Remember if you use coconut oil as a night mask or as a moisturizing mask, you should maintain the routine for at least a month to verify the results.