- If you want to control frizz or detangle your hair easily, you can use coconut oil every day. But you should apply it lightly. I’ll tell you how and why below.
- If you want to intensively repair and moisturize your hair, you can’t use coconut oil every day. Instead, you should use it once a week for a maximum of ten hours.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How Long Should You Leave Coconut Oil in Your Hair?
I swear I’ll never understand why people jump into using products without finding out about them beforehand.
- What they are used for
- How they are used
- When to use them
- When not to use them
Why should you find out these kinds of things?
To know if the product is right for your hair or if you should try another product.
And also, if you answer these questions, you could avoid the heartbreak that Agustina, one of my clients, suffered.
Was it heartbreak over a man?
The heartbreak was caused by coconut oil.
Agustina went from love to hate in just one week after using coconut oil.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How to use coconut oil after dyeing your hair (in 5 easy steps)?
Actually, she went from love to hate in just one week after using coconut oil INCORRECTLY.
Why do I highlight the word “INCORRECLTY?”
Because Agustina didn’t check what coconut oil was used for.
Nor did she bother to research how to use it, when to use and when not to use coconut oil on hair.
And since she didn’t find out any of these things, she applied coconut oil every day to her hair for a week.
Yes, she applied coconut oil every day to her hair for a week.
And she didn’t just apply a few drops.
Almost the whole jar of coconut oil was empty seven days after she bought it.
Can you imagine the results on Agustina’s hair?
Agustina’s hair ended up more damaged, dry, and brittle than before applying the coconut oil.
Excesses are bad in life.
But excesses due to ignorance can be catastrophic. That was Agustina’s experience.
So, if you’re thinking about using coconut oil every day on your hair, avoid catastrophe and read on.
Tabla de Contenidos
You should only use coconut oil every day if you want to control frizz or make your hair easier to style
However, you need to:
- Apply a few drops of coconut oil. I’ll tell you how many drops you need according to the length of your hair.
- Your hair shouldn’t be greasy.
If you meet these two conditions, you can apply coconut oil every day to your hair.
When can you apply it every day?
- To control frizz.
- Facilitate styling
- To add shine, softness, and manageability
How much coconut oil can you use on your hair every day?
- If your hair is short, use 3 to 5 drops.
- If your hair is shoulder-length, apply 6 to 10 drops.
- If your hair is long, below the shoulders, use 8 to 15 drops.
Now, you can apply the coconut oil in two ways:
- On your wet hair to control frizz and make styling easier.
- On your dry and clean hair to give it shine, softness, and control frizz.
Do you know the right way to apply it?
- Place the coconut oil drops in the palm of your hand according to the length of your hair.
- Rub both palms together to distribute the oil.
- Apply the oil on your damp or dry hair from mid-lengths to lengths. Then, on the roots and growth.
- If you use more than six drops, apply it in two separate moments to avoid excess oil.
What if your hair is oily?You shouldn’t use coconut oil every day on your hair, even if you simply want to control frizz and use a few drops.
In that case, you should apply the oil three times a week.
Don’t forget that although coconut oil is lighter than other oils, it still has an oily base.
And if your hair is oily, and you apply the oil every day, you’ll only add more greasiness, and your hair will be dull and stiff.
And now, let’s go back to the beginning.
Do you remember what you should check before using a product?
For example, you need to know when not to use products.
So, I’ll answer that question for you regarding coconut oil.
You shouldn’t use coconut oil every day to deeply repair your hair
You could have Agustina’s experience yourself.
Agustina applied coconut oil every day to moisturize her hair and ended up with hair drier hair than before.
For coconut oil to work properly and repair, moisturize, and nourish your hair, you must leave it on for at least one hour and up to ten hours.
For example, many women use it overnight to deeply moisturize their hair after bleaching.
If you want to repair your hair using coconut oil, you should apply it up to three times a week.
Otherwise your hair could experience:
- Excess greasiness
- Being dull and tangled
Because when you overdo it with oil, you can clog the pores of your scalp.
These pores generate natural oil that moisturizes your hair. If those pores become clogged, your hair will no longer be able to receive moisture.
Therefore, it’ll start to dry out.
Also, excess oiliness will lead to stiffness, heaviness, and your hair will look dull and dirty.
- If your hair is normal but seriously damaged, you can use coconut oil up to three times a week.
- If your hair is normal and slightly damaged, use coconut oil twice a week.
- If your hair is normal and not damaged, you can use it once a week.
- If your hair is oily and damaged, you can use it once a week.
- If your hair is oily but not damaged, you should use it once every two weeks.
You should only use coconut oil every day if you want to control frizz and detangle your hair more easily. And to do so, you should apply very few drops.
Alternatively, to apply coconut oil as an intensive repair treatment, you should use it a maximum of three times a week if your hair is seriously damaged.