- If you want to moisturize your hair because you color it frequently, leave the coconut oil on for up to an hour.
- However, if you want to repair your hair after bleaching or because it’s severely damaged, it’s best to leave it on for four to six hours.
- Finally, to deeply nourish your hair, you should leave the coconut oil on overnight like a mask.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Does coconut oil fade hair color?
Is it better to apply coconut oil to damp hair or dry hair?
People are usually mistaken about natural products for hair.
Do you know why I say this?
Because they think that natural products work miracles in minutes.
And this is not so.
If you don’t believe me, ask Cleopatra.
Cleopatra could bathe for up to six hours in goat’s milk to moisturize the skin of her body.
And what did Cleopatra do in those six hours in the bathtub?
Well, the books don’t give details.
There were no social networks back then. I guess Cleopatra would entertain herself planning the next steps to fall in love with the great military of the Roman Empire.
History doesn’t forgive Cleopatra for her unsuccessful romances despite her beauty.
And if you don’t believe me, just ask Mark Antony or the great Julius Caesar.
Leaving humor aside and beyond the natural treatments of the eternal pharaoh, let’s go back to coconut oil.
Coconut oil is very versatile. It can be used in your hair for different purposes.There’re different exposure times suggested for each purpose.
Moisturizing slightly damaged hair isn’t the same as repairing bleached hair.
To put it simply: The more damaged your hair is, the longer you should leave the coconut oil to act.
Tabla de Contenidos
If you only want to moisturize your hair, leave the coconut oil on for up to one hour
Although the scalp produces natural oil that moisturizes your hair, sometimes it isn’t enough.
And then, your hair looks dull and dry.When do you need to use coconut oil as a moisturizer?
- If you color your hair regularly.
- If you frequently expose your hair to chlorinated water or the sun.
- If you never use an intensive moisturizing hair treatment.
In these cases, coconut oil will work as an excellent moisturizing hair mask.
As it’s the lightest natural oil, it won’t leave your hair greasy or heavy.
Once you apply the coconut oil, you should leave it on for fifteen minutes to an hour according to your hair damage.
- If your hair is slightly damaged, leave it on for 15 minutes.
- If it’s moderately damaged, leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Finally, if it’s severely damaged, you should leave it for an hour .
But be aware that damaged hair is different from ruined hair.
How can you tell if your hair is damaged?
Look at it and see.
- Do you have frizz?
- Are your ends split?
- Does it feel coarse when you touch it?
Got the answers?
Let’s see the results.
- If you answered yes to one of these questions, your hair is slightly damaged. You should leave the oil on for 15 minutes.
- If you answered yes to two questions, your hair is moderately damaged. Leave the coconut oil on for thirty minutes.
- Finally, if you answered yes to the three questions, your hair is seriously damaged. Leave the oil on your hair for an hour.
Of course, you can’t just use coconut oil once to repair the damage.Instead, you should repeat the application at least two or three times a week.
If you need to repair your hair, you should leave the coconut oil on for four to six hours
In this case, how do you know when you need to repair your hair?
Answer these questions to find out.
- Have you bleached your hair recently?
- Have you colored your hair too often, e.g. twice a fortnight?
- Do you use a flat iron or curling iron more than twice a week?
If you’re familiar with any of these situations, you urgently need to repair your hair.
And to do so, you can use coconut oil.
Why do you need to repair your hair urgently?
- Bleaching is a very aggressive process for the hair, in which two chemicals are used. They remove the moisture from your hair.
- Coloring your hair two or three times a month sounds crazy. Permanent hair dyes contain chemicals that dry out your hair. If you dye it once every fifty days, the damage will be very minor. But if you overdo it, you’ll ruin your hair.
- Overusing a flat iron or curling iron also detracts moisture from your hair. In addition, you can even burn your hair.
Coconut oil will repair your hair in all those cases.
- You should apply it from roots to ends and leave it on for 4 to 6 hours.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap to maintain the heat produced by the scalp.
- Rinse with shampoo and conditioner.
After applying the coconut oil, remember some tips.
- Apply deep repair coconut oil twice a week for a month.
- Don’t bleach your hair until it’s repaired.
- Color your hair less frequently.
- Use styling tools with caution. You can straighten or flat iron your hair once a week. Remember to use a heat protectant.
If you want to nourish your hair deeply, leave the coconut oil on overnight
In this case, your hair needs to absorb the nutrients provided by coconut oil.
And that process will take some time for your hair.
So, leave the coconut oil overnight for ten hours at most.
What do you need?
Just three things.
- Shower cap.
- Coconut oil.
- Sleeping well.
- Apply coconut oil from roots to ends and cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Go to bed and start dreaming about happy moments.
- The next morning, rinse your hair with plenty of water and wash it with shampoo and conditioner.
Also, remember to be consistent using coconut oil to get the best results.
In this case, I recommend using it once a week for at least a month to avoid excess oiliness.
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer that repairs your hair deeply in just a few applications.
But you must use it correctly.
If you only want to moisturize your hair, you can leave the coconut oil on for up to one hour. But if you need to repair your hair intensively, it’s best to leave it on overnight.