- If your hair is red and you’re looking to change color, you can apply an ash blonde dye to achieve auburn or golden blonde hair, depending on the intensity of your red hair.
- What you will never achieve by applying an ash blonde hair dye over red hair is hair that’s ashy blonde. Because to get ash blonde, you will need to bleach your hair or use a color remover if your hair is dyed.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: What colors can I put over red hair? 5 options from a hairdresser
If you apply an ash blonde dye over red hair, the only thing you will achieve is to neutralize the red, leaving your hair brown.
So, to be clear: if the blonde bug has suddenly bitten you, you can’t apply an ash blonde dye over your red hair. Unfortunately, the science of hair color doesn’t work that way.
- If your red hair is dark or intense, like shades 3.6 or 4.6, you should bleach it. And in that case, I recommend you go to the salon for professional advice.
- If your red hair is light, like shades 7.6 or 8.6, you can apply an ash blonde hair color. And here’s what your hair will look like.
Why you can apply ash blonde dye on red hair if you want to tone it down to auburn
Firstly, it’s because you will avoid bleaching your hair, as long as your red hair isn’t too dark.
Because unfortunately, if your hair is an extra dark or intense red, the only solution is to bleach it. Red pigments are the most difficult to remove from the hair.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: Does red hair dye fade fast? How long does it take to fade?
So did you get tired of red hair? Have you dyed your hair with a medium or light red dye but don’t want to bleach it? A great alternative is toning.
What does toning hair mean?
Hair toning is a technique based on the color wheel. You use toner to neutralize a shade in the hair without using bleach.
In this case, why does ash-blonde 7.1 neutralize red? Because on the color wheel, the opposite of red is green.
Ash-blonde 7.1 includes two shades, a primary and a secondary shade. The main color is blonde 7, or yellow. And the secondary color is ash 1, or blue.
And when blue and yellow are mixed, green is formed. Therefore, when you apply the ash-blonde 7.1 dye, you will neutralize your red hair. It will turn auburn or golden blonde.
- If you apply ash blonde dye over medium red hair, such as 5.6 or 6.6, your hair will turn a neutral brown.
- If you apply ash blonde dye to your light or extra light red hair, such as 7.6, 8.6, or 9.6. , your hair will go a golden blonde.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: How to dye red hair brown without damaging it? Do you need to bleach?
I would like to emphasize that everything I’ve explained here is generally speaking. In reality, when you’re talking about applying blonde dyes on red hair, it’s best to put your hair in the hands of a professional.
Because only a professional can make a personalized diagnosis of your red hair and its possibilities.
If you can’t go to a salon, let me give you some advice: do a strand test. This is the only way you’ll be able to see how your red hair will look after applying an ash-blonde dye.
- Separate a 2 cm strand of hair from the back of your head.
- Prepare a sufficient amount of hair dye to cover the strand.
- Apply the dye to the strand and leave it on for 45 minutes.
- Rinse and dry.
Check the result. If you like the resulting color, apply the ash-blonde dye throughout your red hair. Otherwise, go to a salon for advice.
My professional advice is to go to a salon if you want to dye your red hair blonde. It’s the best option to make sure your hair doesn’t turn a bright orange shade. And if you want to try applying the dye on your own, do the strand test beforehand.