- The best black hair dyes to cover red hair: 11 BLACKEST BLACK by GARNIER NUTRISSE, 12 NATURAL BLUE BLACK by REVLON COLORSILK, and 3 UA ULTRA ASH NATURAL BLACK by EXCELLENCE L’OREAL.
- If you want to cover your red hair with a professional product, you should ask the salon for 1 BLACK by INOA, 1-1 BLUE BLACK by IGORA, or 1NN INTENSE NEUTRAL BLACK by WELLA COLOR TANGO.
- They’ll color your hair red or any unwanted undertones you may have.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: 6 Differences Between Jet Black Hair and Black Hair, which one should you choose?
As a professional colorist, I can guarantee you one thing. There are two colors that are very persistent and difficult to remove: red and black.
The difference is that black dye covers red hair and doesn’t require much maintenance because its pigmentation is very intense and long-lasting.
Therefore, you’ll only need to touch up the roots every six weeks.
Have you heard of the universal color numbering system?
You probably have.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How Soon Can I Recolor My Hair if i Don’t Like the Color?
Then, you know that black is at the top of the system because it’s obviously the darkest and most intense color.
Now, although all black dyes cover red hair, each has some details that I’d like to tell you about.
Those differences can help you decide which is the best black dye to cover your red hair.
Tabla de Contenidos
- Which black hair dye to choose to cover red?
- If your skin is cool and you want hair as deep as night, choose GARNIER NUTRISSE 11 BLACKEST BLACK.
- If you’re looking to enhance your facial features and your skin is warm, you can opt for REVLON COLORSILK 12 NATURAL BLUE BLACK.
- If you’re looking to stand out from the crowd, and your eyes are light, you can opt for EXCELLENCE L’OREAL 3 UA ULTRA ASH NATURAL BLACK.
- How to dye your hair black to cover red hair
Which black hair dye to choose to cover red?
Black hair goes with all skin tones from brunettes to the palest skin tones.
It also looks perfect on curly or straight hair.
It may seem that all black hair dyes are the same.
But they aren’t.
Brands create different black dyes, which are differentiated by the undertones.
These undertones can be noticed under natural light and give distinct shades to each tone of black.
Let’s see which of these black dyes will cover red according to your characteristics.
If your skin is cool and you want hair as deep as night, choose GARNIER NUTRISSE 11 BLACKEST BLACK.
To give you an idea, this is Morticia Adams’ deep and dark black.
Being such an intense color, it’s ideal for pale or very white skin because it highlights the best features of the face.
If your eyes are also light, this black dye will highlight them even more.
And if that’s not enough, it’ll completely cover your red hair.
If you’re looking to enhance your facial features and your skin is warm, you can opt for REVLON COLORSILK 12 NATURAL BLUE BLACK.
You no longer have to worry about your red hair because this dye will cover it in full.
Also, it’ll give your hair light and depth thanks to its bluish undertones.
This famous bluish-black dye is one of the most popular ones within the black ranges.
If you’re looking to stand out from the crowd, and your eyes are light, you can opt for EXCELLENCE L’OREAL 3 UA ULTRA ASH NATURAL BLACK.
This black dye has a very special shade that’ll give your hair intense cool metallic highlights.
It’s ideal for those who wear makeup in metallic or iridescent shades.
It’s also a good choice for cool skin tones and light blue or blue eyes.
One last tip?
- If you’re over thirty and want to cover your red hair, choose natural black dyes because they won’t harden your features.
- However, if you’re under thirty, you can go for the metallic or bluish-black dyes, which will give a new depth and dimension to your hair.
How to dye your hair black to cover red hair
You don’t need to apply any process before coloring your red hair black.
This means that you don’t need to bleach your hair first. And this is good news.
Bleaching is a very aggressive chemical process. And if you’re not experienced in coloring, you can burn your hair.
So, after choosing the black dye, you just need to prepare the product and apply it to your red hair.
The coloring kit includes everything you need: hair dye, a 20 volume developer, gloves, and a post-color treatment.
Do you want some tips before you start applying the dye?
- Use old clothes because black dye contains a lot of pigmentation and stains everything it touches including facial skin.
- Apply moisturizer on your forehead and around your ears to prevent the dye from staining your skin. You can easily remove it without rubbing and hurting your skin.
- Don’t wash your hair two days before application, so that the natural scalp oil protects your hair from damage by the permanent dye chemicals.
Do you want to leave your red hair behind for good?
Then, go for it!
- Separate your dry hair into four sections, from ear to ear and forehead to nape, holding each section with hair clips.
- Mix the dye with the developer and shake to blend. You can also do this in a plastic container and use a hair dye brush to help you.
- Loosen one of the sections you separated and apply the dye from roots to ends. I recommend that you start at the back.
- Make sure to cover all of your hair.
- Leave the dye on for 45 minutes.
- After the exposure time, rinse your hair with plenty of warm water. You can use a sulfate-free shampoo to remove the dye residue.
- Apply the post-color treatment included in the kit to restore hydration. Leave it on for five minutes.
Rinse and let your hair air dry.
Once your hair is dry, it’s time to see your big change.
You’ll go from red to completely black hair.
And that’s a big change. Not just for your hair.
You’ll also have to make changes to your makeup and wardrobe. But don’t be alarmed.
Black hair looks good with everything and on every woman. So, just go out there and enjoy it.
It doesn’t matter why you want to cover your red hair.
Maybe it’s the color that appeared after a coloring session. It may also be the result of a hair dye you used.
Black dye will cover it perfectly without leaving any trace of red.