- The toner that cancels out brassy orange hair is blue toner. It will leave your hair ashy blonde.
- If you have experience in coloring, I recommend you use professional toners such as Schwarzkopf BlondeMe Blonde Toning Blue Steel or Pravana Chromasilk Corrector ash blue. But remember, be extra careful of how long you leave it in your hair so you don’t turn it blue.
- If you don’t have much experience in coloring, you can opt for Wella Color Charm T14 o T18 or Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Platinium Ice. And I’ll tell you how to apply them correctly later on.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Best Wella toners for orange hair: how to choose the right one for you
Why does blue toner cancel out brassy orange hair?
Because blue sits opposite orange on the color wheel, applying blue toner to brassy orange hair will give you an even ashy tone without any harsh colors.
When you bleach dark hair, oranges are always the order of the day. You may have bleached brown hair and gotten to a blonde number 7, but it will likely be orange.
So when you use blue toner, brassy orange hair will turn an ashy blonde 7.1. Why? It’s because toner doesn’t lighten or darken hair color. It simply removes any harsh colors left by bleaching.
However, you can’t just apply any toner like that. And you must be careful when using this coloring product.
To avoid any unpleasant surprises, here’s what toner to choose and how to use it on brassy orange hair.
Which toner to use to cancel out brassy orange hair
You should understand something before toning your hair. The toner color isn’t very strong, so after a few weeks of washing your hair, it will fade.
This means the toner will cancel out brassy orange hair. But you should also begin a hair care routine. For example, wash your hair once a week with blue shampoo, and renew the toner after three weeks.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY READING: How often can I tone my brassy hair? It depends on how often you wash your hair
You can find several brands of toner on the market. But before choosing one, I recommend you think about how much experience you have in coloring hair.
- If you have little to no coloring experience , choose Wella Color Charm T14 o T18, or Clairol Professional Shimmer Lights Platinium Ice. The advantage of these toners is that you don’t risk turning your hair blue as their pigments aren’t very intense. You can leave these toners in your hair for up to forty minutes.
- If you’re an experienced colorist and are thorough when applying toner , you can use Schwarzkopf BlondeMe Blonde Toning Blue Steel or Pravana Chromasilk Ash Blue Color Corrector. Also, I recommend either of these two toners if your hair is a deep brassy orange after bleaching. Leave these toners on your hair for up to twenty minutes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Wella T14 vs T18: are they really that different? Which one should you choose for your hair?
Applying blue toner to cancel out brassy orange hairThe most important thing when using a toner is to leave it on for the right time.
Because if you leave the toner for less time than you should, your hair will stay brassy orange. And if you leave it on too long, your hair may turn blue or get bluish shades.
You can apply toner on both wet and dry hair.
If you don’t have much experience applying toner or dye, I suggest using it to dampen hair. It will be easier for you to distribute.
- Comb through your hair, detangling it.
- Mix the toner with the developer until you get a smooth mixture.
- Use 20-volume developer so the toner pigments stick in your hair.
- Apply the toner continuously from the roots to the ends without stopping anywhere.
- If you use a professional toner, leave it on for up to 20 minutes. Keep checking your hair. Rinse it out before the twenty minutes are up if the toner has already canceled out the brassy orange.
- If you use a home-use toner, leave it on for up to forty minutes. Check the color every five minutes.
- After the time is up, rinse your hair until the water runs clear. Then apply a conditioner.
If the toner canceled out the brassy orange in your hair, you’ll need to renew the toner after three weeks. If you still notice some traces of orange in your hair, you can use a blue toning shampoo. This will finish getting rid of any brassy orange in your hair.
I also recommend you include blue shampoo in your hair care routine once a week. It will prolong the effects of the toner and make your hair look ashy blonde for longer.
Use a blue toner to cancel out brassy orange hair. It will leave your hair ashy blonde. But don’t forget the process isn’t that simple. If you leave the toner on longer than your hair needs, your hair can turn blue.