- You can’t use a hot oil treatment if you dyed your hair less than three weeks ago.
- Because it will completely fade the color of the dye. In fact, many women treat their hair with hot oil to remove a dye.
- You can only use a hot oil treatment three weeks after coloring your hair. And later, I’ll tell you which oil you could apply to your hair and how to use it.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I put argan oil in my hair before dyeing or bleaching?
The truth is that using a hot oil treatment after coloring your hair is an excellent idea, as long as you wait three weeks.
Because this way, the oil won’t remove the dye, which will be settled inside the hair.
Why is it a good idea to use a hot oil treatment on color-treated hair?
Because although these days most brands of permanent hair dye include moisturizing agents, they will still dry out the hair. Why? You apply them developer, and they contain ammonia.
And these two chemicals strip the hair of moisture and nutrients.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Does bleached hair need protein or moisture?
Therefore, if you use a hot oil treatment three weeks after coloring your hair, you will restore the moisture and nutrients it lost when you colored it.
Why is it important to wait three weeks for a hot oil treatment after coloring your hair?
The heat opens the hair cuticles. And if you haven’t waited three weeks since applying the dye, the hot oil will fade your color. The dye takes at least two weeks to settle inside the hair fully.
So, after coloring your hair, you should wait three weeks to use any heat treatment, whether it’s hot oil or a straightener.
How to use a hot oil treatment three weeks after coloring your hair
Before I explain how to apply a hot oil treatment to your color-treated hair, let’s first take a look at which oil you can use.
- If your color-treated hair is frizzy , you can opt for coconut oil or argan oil to moisturize the hair cuticles.
- If your color-treated hair is very dry , I recommend applying flaxseed oil or avocado oil, as they repair the outer and middle layer of the hair. They will also add thickness to your hair.
The best way to use a hot oil treatment is to apply it to damp hair to counteract any excessive heat effect on your scalp.
How do you heat the oil?
- In the microwave , at minimum power for 10 or 15 seconds.
- In a bain-marie , for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Don’t let the oil boil.
Application of hot oil treatment on colored hair
- After washing your hair with hot water and shampoo, remove the excess water.
- Wrap your hair in a towel to keep it warm as you warm the oil.
- Carefully apply the oil from the roots to the ends.
- Massage your hair, always starting at the ends, slowly working your way up to the roots.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the hot oil on for 40 minutes.
- Rinse it out with plenty of warm water and shampoo, and don’t apply conditioner. Let your hair dry naturally.
I recommend using this hot oil mask once a month on your color-treated hair.
You can use a hot oil treatment three weeks after coloring your hair. That way, you will prevent the hot oil from fading your hair color.