- If you’re thinking of dyeing your hair, I don’t recommend using argan oil beforehand. Because the oil will either prevent the dye from changing the color of your hair or will make the color uneven, depending on the type of dye you use.
- Now, using argan oil before bleaching your hair is an excellent idea. Because the oil will protect your hair from the damage the bleaching mixture causes. It’s very important you use oil and that you don’t rinse it out before bleaching your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: How long should you leave argan oil in your hair?
Although dyeing and bleaching are both chemical processes that deplete hair of moisture and nutrients, one is more aggressive than the other.
Can you guess which one?
Bleaching is a more aggressive chemical process than simply applying hair color.
In fact, I would say that bleaching is the most aggressive chemical process you can expose your hair to.
Therefore, I think it’s an excellent idea to use argan oil before bleaching your hair.
Now, if you were thinking of using argan oil before dyeing your hair, you can go ahead and put the idea aside. Because if you use argan oil before coloring your hair, two things will happen:
- At best, your hair won’t change color . And at worst, your color will turn out completely uneven.
- You’ll damage your hair without having achieved the goal you were looking for , i.e. changing color.
So, let’s delve into this question first. And later I’ll tell you how to use argan oil correctly before bleaching your hair.
Why you shouldn’t use argan oil before dyeing your hair
Basically, it’s because argan oil will ruin the whole dyeing process, leaving your color uneven.
And this will happen whether you use semi-permanent or permanent hair color. Of course, the two will have different consequences.
- If you apply argan oil before coloring your hair with permanent hair dye , the color will be uneven.
- If you apply argan oil before coloring your hair with semi-permanent hair color , your hair won’t even change color, because the dye will slide and the color won’t settle.
Although coloring may seem like a simple process, which hides its secrets in a dye knob or a coloring kit, you need to understand some details.
For example, semi-permanent dye adheres to the hair cuticles, forming a color film.
If you use argan oil before coloring your hair with this type of dye, the color won’t stick because the oil will cause it to “slide”. Therefore, your hair will stay the same color as before.
So you’ll just lose time and money. To apply semi-permanent hair dye, your hair must be clean and dry, free of any residues or products. Even free of argan oil.
On the other hand, things don’t get any better if you want to use argan oil before applying permanent hair dye.
Because the permanent dye contains developer and ammonia. So it will get through the film formed by the argan oil, but the color molecules won’t fix evenly.
So some sections of your hair will have more intense color than others.
Therefore, I don’t recommend using argan oil before dyeing your hair. What you can do if you want to moisturize your hair after dyeing is to apply a few drops of oil then.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Does argan oil affect hair dye? Does it fade hair color?
If you want to protect your hair before bleaching you can use argan oil
It will protect your hair from the aggression of the bleaching mixture. Why do I talk about aggression?
Let’s look closer. To bleach your hair you need to prepare a bleaching mixture with developer and bleaching powder.
The bleaching mixture produces a chemical reaction in your hair. The cuticles open and the chemicals remove both the natural and artificial color from the innermost layer of the hair.
Obviously, in addition to losing color, your hair loses nutrients and vitamins during bleaching.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: How to protect hair when bleaching – 5 tips from a pro stylist
So if you use argan oil before bleaching your hair , you’ll provide a large part of the vitamins, nutrients, and hydration that it will lose during the process.
It will also moisturize and protect your scalp which can become irritated during bleaching. So now it’s time for you to know how to put argan oil in your hair correctly before bleaching.
- Don’t wash your hair for at least 48 hours before bleaching, because the natural oil will also protect your hair and scalp.
- Four to five hours before bleaching, comb your hair when it’s dry. I recommend separating it into four or five sections to make it easier to distribute the oil.
- Put ten drops of argan oil in the palm of your hand and warm it by rubbing your palms.
- Distribute the oil from the lengths to the ends , covering your entire head of hair.
- Apply two drops of oil to one of your palms and rub it into the roots and growth.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it on for a minimum of thirty minutes.
- Prepare the bleaching mixture and everything you need to apply the process.
- Apply the bleaching mixture without rinsing out the argan oil and wait for the exposure time.
- When the bleaching process is finished, rinse your hair. You can apply argan oil again to your damp hair to moisturize it. Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- After this time, wash with shampoo.
If you want to protect your hair during bleaching, you can first apply argan oil and leave it on for at least 30 minutes. It’s very important you don’t rinse it out before applying the bleaching mixture.
What you cannot do is use argan oil before dyeing your hair. Because depending on the type of dye you use, the color will turn out uneven and won’t fix properly in your hair.