- The manufacturers of Manic Panic stipulate that the minimum exposure time of the dye is 30 minutes. However, if you want to achieve more intense color, you can leave it on for several hours. Even overnight.
- But it’s crucial you prepare your sheets and pajamas properly to prevent them from getting stained and ruined by the dye. I’ll give you more details in a few moments.
- And it’s also essential you rinse the dye out the right way the next morning to make the color last longer. I’ll tell you how to do this later.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I leave semi-permanent dye in my hair overnight?
How long to leave Manic Panic in the hair? 7 application tips and tricks you shouldn’t ignore
Why would you leave Manic Panic hair dye in your hair overnight?
Because this dye is a semi-permanent hair dye, which means it doesn’t contain ammonia or developer. So it won’t damage your hair in the same way permanent dye would.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Is Manic Panic bad for your hair? Could it damage your hair? Short answer: Absolutely not!
Let’s be clear. Leaving a permanent dye on overnight would be crazy. The chemicals would dry out your hair, leaving it weak and brittle.
But with Manic Panic, you don’t run that risk.
Now, in all honesty, does it make sense to leave Manic Panic hair dye overnight in your hair?
As a colorist, I don’t see much sense in it.
Because if you want a more intense color , you have two options:
- You can leave Manic Panic in your hair for several hours, without leaving it on overnight. For example, if you want to use a light green Manic Panic dye you’ve been saving for a while, you can leave it on for six hours to give your hair a much more intense green.
- If you want a bubblegum pink shade instead of a pastel pink one, Manic Panic offers a wide variety of pink tones. So you can choose the color you want directly, without having to resort to strange experiments.
On the other hand, if you want to leave the Manic Panic dye in your hair overnight to make the color last longer, I’m sorry that it doesn’t work that way.
Taking care of your hair with specific products will make the color last longer. And if you choose the ones developed by the brand itself, all the better.
But I’m not the one to judge your intentions, nor do I represent Jiminy Cricket, Pinocchio’s well-known conscience. So I’ll give you tips to save your pillowcase, sheets, and pajamas from disaster.
Do you follow me?
Preparations for leaving Manic Panic overnight
The first thing I recommend is that you choose a day when you don’t have any commitments the next day that requires an early start.
For example, a Saturday night for Sunday or a Friday night for Saturday. Why? It’s essential you rinse thoroughly, and it will take you longer than five minutes. More on this later.
Before applying Manic Panic, your hair must be clean and dry, i.e., it can’t have any oily product residue. So I recommend you wash your hair with shampoo and avoid conditioner.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY READING: Should I wash my hair before dyeing it if it has product in it?
After applying the dye, cover your hair with a shower cap, waterproof and in perfect condition . That way, the dye won’t leak through it. You can also cover the cap with a turban to protect your pillowcase.
And speaking of pillows, it’s time to prepare your bed.
- Use the oldest sheets you have.
- Wrap your pillow in a large bag, for example, a garbage bag. If you don’t want to rest your face on the bag, you can always put an old towel over it.
- Put on your oldest pajamas or tops, something you’d never wear on a romantic date.
Rinsing out Manic Panic the next morning
After leaving Manic Panic overnight in your hair, your hair will most likely feel stiff and rigid, like cardboard. Don’t panic; that will disappear in the rinse.
And speaking of rinsing, here are two important things:
- Use cold water because cold water will close the hair cuticles, making the color last longer.
- Let the water run for ten minutes until you see it run crystal clear, with no traces of color.
- Do not use shampoo or conditioner.
- When your hair is no longer oozing dye, massage your scalp to remove any remaining dye. Rinse it again and wrap your hair in a towel.
You can leave Manic Panic hair dye on overnight. Although the truth is, if you want a more intense color, you can choose any of the fifty shades the brand offers. Or you can leave it on for several hours during the day. That way, you won’t risk staining your sheets and sleeping uncomfortably.
But as I always say, the final decision is yours.