- If you want to tone your yellow hair to ash easily, you can use purple shampoo. Here’s the step-by-step.
- If you want to tone your yellow hair to ash but don’t have much coloring experience, you can use a permanent hair dye. I’ll tell you about it.
- If you want to tone your yellow hair to ash and have experience in coloring, you can use a toner. Let’s see how!
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How to get ash blonde hair from yellow (2 ways to do it)
These are the three best options to tone hair yellow to ash. Each has a different degree of difficulty.
For example, it’s easy to use a toning shampoo to tone yellow hair to ashy after bleaching. You have to wash your hair with the blue shampoo. After a few washes, your hair will be ashy.
To do this, you don’t need any coloring experience.
However, if you use a toner to tone your hair yellow to ashy, things change. Toning requires some knowledge and previous experience in coloring. The toner acts immediately, and if you leave it on longer than indicated, your yellow hair can turn purple… a far cry from the ash you want to achieve.
Also, many women make serious mistakes when they tone yellow hair to ash.
What is it? They use a toner or ashy dye. And that’s a huge mistake.
Ash dye or toner works to tone orange hair. And your hair is yellow.If you apply an ashy toner or dye, which contains blue pigments, your mane will turn green. When you mix blue and yellow, you get green.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Will light ash blonde cover yellow hair? Yes, but your hair will turn out greenish
Therefore, you must use products containing violet pigments to tone yellow hair to ashy. For example, you can use purple shampoo, violet toner, or dyes ending in number 2.
Having clarified all these points, let’s go deeper into each method to tone yellow hair to ashy.
Toning yellow hair to ashy with a purple shampoo
I recommend you try this method if you aren’t experienced in coloring. After washing your hair twice or thrice with the purple shampoo, your yellow hair will turn ashy.
Here’s the step-by-step to use purple shampoo:
- Wash your hair with the purple shampoo two or three times a week. If your hair is intense yellow, use it 3 times a week. If your hair is light yellow, twice a week will be enough.
- When you use the purple shampoo, leave it on for three minutes.
- After rinsing your hair, use a purple or sulfate-free conditioner.
Once you notice that your yellow hair is ashy, maintain the color using the purple shampoo once a week.
Remember to alternate with a sulfate-free shampoo.
Toning yellow hair to ashy with hair dye
If you decide to use hair dye to tone your yellow hair to ashy, the most important thing is the hair dye you choose.
If your hair is yellow, it’s probably light blonde 8, very light blonde 9, or extra light blonde 10. You should identify how blonde your hair is before toning it.
You want to tone your hair yellow to ashy without darkening it.
Once you identify your blonde level, you should look for the appropriate dye. It should also contain violet pigments.
How will you know which dyes contain violet pigments?
Numbers identify hair dyes. The first number is the color level. In this case, it could be 8, 9, or 10. After that number, followed by a dot, another number indicates the shades.As you want to tone your hair ashy, you need violet shades, identified by number 2.
- If your yellow hair is light blonde 8, you should apply a light blonde 8.2 dye.
- If your yellow hair is very light blonde 9, you should apply a very light blonde hair color 9.2.
- Finally, if your yellow hair is an extra light blonde 10, you should apply an extra light blonde hair color 10.2.
I recommend you don’t wash your hair 48 hours before toning. Also, apply the dye to dry hair without any hair product residue.
Toning yellow hair to ashy with hair dye
- Prepare the dye according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Divide your hair into four sections.
- Release one of the sections and apply the dye from the roots to the ends. Repeat the procedure on each of the sections, making sure to cover all of your hair with the dye.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the dye on for 45 minutes.
- After the exposure time, rinse your hair with cold water until it runs clear.
- Apply conditioner or the post-color treatment included in the coloring kit and leave it on for five minutes.
- Rinse your hair and let it air dry.
Remember to use the purple shampoo once a week. Remember the dye number you used so that you touch up the color with the same one.
Toning yellow hair ashy using a toner
I recommend this option if you have previous experience with bleaching or coloring procedures. The toner is applied with a developer. So, if your yellow hair is very damaged, the toner could irreversibly ruin it.
You must also be very careful with the exposure times because the toner acts immediately. If you leave it on longer than your yellow hair needs, your hair could turn purple.
Which toner should you use?
- Professional violet toner such as Clairol Professional Shimmer or Schwarzkopf BlondMe.
- Toner for home use, such as Wella Color Charm T10 or T28.
You may also be interested in:
Should I shampoo and condition my hair after Wella toner?
Mix the toner with a 20-volume developer and wash your hair 48 hours before toner application.
Toner application on yellow hair
- In a plastic container, blend the toner and developer.
- Blend to integrate.
- Comb your hair and divide it into several sections.
- Apply the toner from roots to ends with a brush.
- Cover your mane with the toner and control the exposure time.
- If you used a professional toner, leave it on for up to 10 minutes.
- If you used a homemade toner, leave it on for 20 to 40 minutes.
- Check your hair to control the toning process.
- Rinse with plenty of water until it runs clear.
Use a purple shampoo twice a week to maintain your ashy hair.
You should consider your coloring experience and knowledge if you want to tone your yellow hair ashy. A purple shampoo is the easiest way to tone yellow hair to ashy if you haven’t toned your hair before.