- It’s ideal to wash your hair 48 hours before dyeing it darker.
- This way the natural oil layer produced by the scalp will protect your hair and scalp from the dye chemicals.
- Whether you dye your hair darker at the salon or at home, ideally you should wash it for the last time 48 hours before applying the dye.
- What I don’t recommend at all is to wash your hair the same day you’re going to dye it darker.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can you wash your hair the same day you dye it?
Now you know it’s best to wash your hair two days before dyeing it darker.
And the reason is very simple.
If you wash your hair 48 hours before dyeing it darker, you’ll protect it better from the chemicals in the dye. And you won’t just prevent your hair from drying out and becoming weaker.You’ll also protect your scalp from irritation.
Why? Because you apply the dye with 20-volume developer and it contains ammonia.
That is, these two chemicals will cause a chemical reaction in your hair, leaving it a darker color.
Also, if you wash your hair just before dyeing it darker, you run the risk of the dye slipping through because your hair is too clean.
Now, having clarified this point, let’s look at how you should wash your hair 48 hours before dyeing it darker.
How to wash your hair two days before dyeing it darker
Well, to be honest, there’s not much of a mystery about how to wash your hair before coloring it. Actually, you can use your regular shampoo and conditioner.
But this is important. After washing your hair, don’t apply any oils, styling creams, or sprays.
Why not? Because your hair must be free of residues of any type of hair product before you can dye it darker. If any residue remains, the dye may not set and the color will turn out uneven.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Should I wash my hair before dyeing it if it has product in it?
Ready to wash your hair?
- Wet your hair with plenty of warm water, letting it run through your hair for three minutes.
- Apply your usual shampoo to your hair, massaging with your fingertips all over your scalp.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water.
- Apply conditioner to just the lengths and ends.
- Leave it on for three to five minutes.
- Rinse with plenty of cold water.
- Remove excess water, gently using a towel.
Now you just have to wait two days to dye your hair darker.
My professional advice is to wash your hair 48 hours before dyeing it darker, using your usual shampoo and conditioner.
Remember it’s essential you don’t apply any other hair products, not even oils or masks. If any product residue remains, it can prevent the color from setting.