- If you want to quickly get rid of bright yellow in your hair, you can leave the purple conditioner in your dry hair for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If your hair is a very light blonde 9 or extra light blonde 10, leave it on for a maximum of 10 minutes.
- If your hair is blonde 7 or light blonde 8, leave it in for a maximum of 15 minutes.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Is purple shampoo or conditioner better?
Are you thinking of leaving purple conditioner in your dry hair?
Sounds like an excellent idea to me. Because in addition to removing the harsh yellow tones from your hair, you’ll be adding moisture to it.
In short, purple conditioner on dry hair acts like a mask.
Why is that? I’ll tell you about it below.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Purple shampoo not working on my hair, what should I do?
Why it’s a good idea to apply purple conditioner to dry hair
First of all, I want to make a clarification. Purple conditioner can obviously be used on both dry and wet hair, and in both cases, it will neutralize the harsh yellow.
- If you apply the purple conditioner to wet hair , it will act like any conditioner. Your hair will absorb nutrients and purple pigments through the open cuticles.
- If you apply purple conditioner to dry hair , it will also act as a conditioner, but because dry hair is more porous and dehydrated, it will absorb the purple pigments faster.
So, while you can use purple conditioner on wet hair as a complement to shampoo, you can also use it as a color mask on your dry hair.
When my clients ask me how to keep those harsh yellows out of their platinum-blonde hair, I always recommend purple conditioner, and I even used it myself for months while I had my hair dyed gray.
Also if your hair is damaged, purple conditioner will help moisturize it as it contains the same repairing properties as the ones you usually use.
Now, it’s important you respect the exposure times of the purple conditioner on your dry hair . Otherwise, your hair will turn purple.
What will the exposure time depend on?
- If your yellow is harsh , appearing in very light blonde 9 or extra light blonde 10, leave it on for 10 minutes.
- If your yellow is very harsh , which appears in blonde 7 or light blonde 8, leave it on for 15 minutes.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: My hair is still yellow after purple shampoo, What should I do?
How to apply purple conditioner to dry hair
- Comb your dry hair and separate it into several sections.
- Put on gloves, to avoid staining your hands. I also suggest you protect your clothes.
- Place a fair amount of purple conditioner in the palm of your hand and rub your palms together to heat the product and activate its ingredients.
- Start applying it from your roots to the ends in each section you’ve separated.
- Then comb through your hair and gather it up. If you want you can cover it with a shower cap.
- Leave the purple conditioner on your dry hair for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the intensity of the yellow you want to neutralize.
- After the exposure time has elapsed, rinse your hair with cold or lukewarm water. Do not use hot water . This way the cuticles will remain closed and retain the color.
- Drain your hair with a towel and let it dry naturally without using a blow dryer.
You can use purple conditioner on your dry hair up to once a week to tone your hair.
Remember you can use purple conditioner on your dry hair once a week. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
You can also use it on wet hair as a complement to your purple shampoo. Leave it on for three to five minutes. The change will be more gradual and you will achieve the desired effect after four applications.