The best blue toners for orange hair are:
- As you can see, the first three are toners, while the last two are blue shampoos, which also work perfectly well for canceling out orange.
- If you bleached your hair to get rid of a color or used a dark copper-colored dye, I’d recommend using a toner. Plus, that option makes for immediate results.
- If you bleached your hair to do a balayage or highlights or dyed your hair with a light copper-colored dye, you should opt for a blue shampoo. After two weeks, you’ll see how the orange disappears.
Did you bleach your hair, and then orange tones that you don’t like appeared?
Did you use a dye with the number “4” in it that contained copper pigments?
Don’t worry, any of these blue toners will help tone your hair to get rid of that orange that appeared.
Because what all of these products do is cancel out unwanted colors from different kinds of hair processing. And they cancel them out because blue is the opposite of orange on the color wheel.
The method of using both toner and blue shampoo is easy, only in the case of toner, you need to be very careful about how long you leave the product in your hair to make sure it doesn’t turn out totally blue.
If you’re tired of hiding your hair because of that unseemly orange, stick around because I’ll tell you:
- Toner or blue shampoo: which you should choose for cancelling out the orange in your hair.
- The best toners and blue shampoos for toning orange hair
Tabla de Contenidos
Toner or blue shampoo: Which should you choose to cancel out the orange in your hair?
If you want to get rid of orange in your hair, you’ll need to cancel out the color. Each color has an opposite one that cancels it out. For example:
- Blue cancels out orange
- Green cancels out red
- Purple cancels out yellow
That means that if your hair is a sickly yellow color, you should use a purple toner or shampoo; if it’s red, then you’ll need a green shampoo or toner, and if it’s orange, you should opt for a blue toner or shampoo.
Both toner and blue shampoo will completely cancel out orange, but to choose the right one for you, you’ll need to keep in mind the exact orange tone you want to cancel out and why that orange appeared.
Because bleaching your hair to get rid of brown is not the same as using a light copper blonde dye.
As such, depending on how bright the orange is, you’ll need a more or less intense blue to cancel it out.
In general, unwanted tones appear after you bleach your hair. If your hair was brown and you bleached it, either to completely get rid of a color or to do highlights or a balayage, you probably ended up with some orange.
But, you may also end up with orange in your hair after using a copper-colored dye.
- If you bleached your hair to get rid of color, I recommend using a toner since cancelling out that orange will be a more intense process because the orange in your hair is a dark orange.
- If you bleached your hair to do highlights or a balayage, it would be best to use a blue shampoo because you don’t want to cancel out a color in all of your hair, just in the parts that you bleached, which tend to be more of light orange.
- If you use a dark coppery dye, I recommend using a toner so that way you’ll have a more even canceling out of the color, and the orange is probably much brighter in this case.
- If you use a dark or very light copper dye, I recommend choosing a blue shampoo, because you don’t need the blue to be as strong.
Now that you know which of these two products you should choose for toning your hair depending on the orange in it, I’ll tell you which are the best products for doing it.
The best toners and blue shampoos for toning orange hair
At the beginning of this article, I mentioned several products that I personally consider to be some of the best, and they are the ones that I recommend to my clients or that I use at my salon often.
Do you want to know which of these products is best for you?
Let’s start with toner, for those of you with a brighter or darker orange in your hair.
1- Wella Charm Light Auburn, this works even for orange hair with white in it
Wella, the resident specialist in blondes, presents this product for cancelling out orange in light hair. It also covers gray well and lasts 43% longer than the other brands.
If you want a nice blonde with no orange, Wella is your best choice.
2- Schwarzkopf Professional Blondme 1:1, for getting rid of very dark orange
If you’re worried about your hair’s health, then choose this toner because it’s made with extremely high-quality ingredients.
Are you looking for a sophisticated cool tone? If so, this toner will give you the perfect platinum.
3- Wella Blondor Pale Silver, the safest bet for getting rid of orange
Are you not very experienced with using toner? If so, and you have light hair, and you want to get rid of orange, then this is the option you should choose.
Do you know why? One of the risks to using any toner is leaving the product in your hair for longer than you are supposed to.
What happens if you do that? It deposits more blue pigments than you want, and you might end up with bluish hair.
With this toner from Wella, you won’t run that risk and you can get a silver or platinum color without gray tones.
4- Matrix Total Results Blue Shampoo, for gradually getting rid of strong orange colors
If you don’t have a lot of experience coloring your hair and don’t want to expose it to a toner, this blue shampoo will work perfectly on intense orange tones.
It is also specially formulated with long-lasting pigments, so it makes for an almost immediate change. Use it twice a week, replacing your normal shampoo, and leave it in for 3-5 minutes.
You’ll see how after just a few washes, the orange will have disappeared.
5- Keracolor Clenditioner blue cleaner & conditioner, for getting rid of orange in dry or damaged hair
This is an incredible 2-in-1 product because it conditions your hair at the same time as getting rid of the orange, leaving it soft and bright.
If you’re looking for a perfect ash or platinum color, use it 1-2 times a week, leaving it in dry hair for 2 to 20 minutes.
You have two options for cancelling out orange your hair: toner or blue shampoo.
- If you bleached your whole head or used a dark copper-colored dye, it’s best to use toner to get rid of the orange.
- If all you want is to tone orange in hair with balayage or dyed with a light copper dye, you should use blue shampoo.
Out of all the products, which will you use?