- If you dyed your hair yesterday, you can’t dye it again today.
- Because if you dye your hair two days in a row, all you’ll do is weaken your hair to the point of it will break. And when hair breaks, it will start to fall out.
- You should wait at least two weeks to dye your hair again. In that time, the color will settle. And you’ll know for sure if you need to dye your hair again if you didn’t like the color.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long should you wait to dye your hair again with box dye?
“If I dyed my hair yesterday, can I dye it again today?
That’s what I was asked the other day.
And the answer is a clear NO.
You can’t dye your hair today if you dyed it yesterday.Because you can damage your hair irreversibly.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Can I color my hair two days in a row? Or two days in a week?
But I also sense that if you want to dye your hair today after applying a dye yesterday, you’re thinking of applying a new dye on your own.
And that’s even more dangerous.
Because since you’re not a professional stylist, you don’t even know if your hair will withstand a second dyeing process in less than twenty-four hours.
So, at this point, I have two pieces of advice for you:
- The first tip, wait two weeks . Because it takes two weeks for the dye to set. So after two weeks, you’ll be able to evaluate if you really need to dye your hair again.
- The second tip, if you don’t want to wait two weeks, go to a salon . Because a professional will be able to find a middle ground between what you want for your hair and what can be done to your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: How soon can I dye my hair again to fix it?
What if you dyed your hair today, and the result wasn’t the color you were hoping for? It might have turned out lighter, darker, or stronger than you wanted, and you’re probably feeling desperate. And I understand.
But what you dyed your hair yesterday and you dye your hair again today? In addition to the fact that the color can turn into a real mess, you run the risk of ruining your hair.
Why is that?
That’s what I’ll talk about next.
Why you shouldn’t dye your hair again if you dyed it yesterday
And to understand why you shouldn’t dye it again, you need to know how the coloring process works.
The coloring process is a chemical process that is applied to the hair to change its color.
Two chemicals are involved in this process:
- The developer, which opens the cuticles so that the color can get fixed in the hair fiber.
- The ammonia, which fixes the color inside the hair fiber.
Cuticles are like shingles on the roof of a house. They protect the inside of the hair.
The shingles protect the inside of a house so rain doesn’t come in and ruin it. And your cuticles protect the inside of the hair so external agents such as the sun, for example, don’t ruin it.
In short, hair cuticles protect your hair so it stays shiny, silky, soft, and frizz-free.
When you apply a dye, the developer opens the cuticles, leaving the hair fiber exposed.
Once the cuticles are open, the ammonia fixes the color at the core. This process takes around 45 minutes.
But unfortunately, because the cuticles are the outermost layer of the hair, during the process, many of them break.
And when they break your hair is weakened and brittle.
Can you imagine what would happen if you dyed your hair yesterday, and as a result, many of the cuticles were broken, and then you dyed your hair again today?
There’s only one answer. And the answer is that you’ll ruin your hair . And you’ll ruin it to the point that when you rinse the dye out, you’ll probably see strands of your hair fall out.
So what can you do?
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: I dyed my hair too dark. When can I dye it again?
If you dyed your hair yesterday and don’t like the color, wait two weeks to dye it again
And here’s the best advice you can follow. You should let your hair rest. That is, allow the cuticles and hair fiber to recover from the chemical process.
So, my recommendation is that if you dyed your hair yesterday, wait two weeks to dye your hair again.
But while you wait, I can give you some tips that might help, especially if you don’t like the color.
Because you may think that if you don’t like the color, the only possible solution is to apply another dye. And as you’ll see below, that’s not always the case.
- If you dyed your hair yesterday and you didn’t like the color, the first thing you should do is wait. Because after three or four washes, you’ll see the real color of the dye. Your hair will have finished expelling the excess color and the color will have settled.
- After those three or four washes , what if you still don’t like the color of your hair because it’s too dark? After two weeks, you can apply a dye two numbers higher than the dye you applied previously.
- If you don’t like the color because it’s too light , after two weeks, you can apply a dye one or two numbers lower.
- If your hair is too yellow or too orange , instead of dyeing your hair again, you can use a tinting shampoo. To eliminate strident yellow, use violet shampoo. To remove strident orange, use blue shampoo. And to eliminate strident reddish tones, use green shampoo.
These toning shampoos don’t contain ammonia and you won’t apply them with a developer. Therefore, they won’t dry out your hair as a hair dye would.
If you dyed your hair yesterday and you don’t like the color, you can’t dye your hair again today. My advice is to wait at least two weeks before you dye your hair again.
If you don’t want to wait two weeks, I recommend you go to a salon. A professional will be able to advise you on the different options, such as applying a color remover or a color sweep.
The colorist will take into account your hair’s health before getting down to work.