- To remove or rinse Wella toner from your hair, you shouldn’t use shampoo or conditioner. Just rinse the toner out with almost cold water until it runs crystal clear.
- It’s important you wait three days to wash your hair after applying and rinsing out Wella toner. Then you can use your regular shampoo and conditioner. I’ll let you in on some secrets for washing your toned hair later.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Should I wash my hair after using Wella toner? What shampoo should I use?
Believe it or not, whether you should use shampoo and conditioner after using Wella toner is a topic of debate among colorists around the world.
- Some colorists claim that washing hair with shampoo and conditioner helps the toner color to set faster in the hair.
- Other colorists claim that if you wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner after applying Wella toner, the hair expels all of the color that was applied.
My professional opinion is that you really shouldn’t use shampoo and conditioner after Wella toner.
Because the toner is a permanent dye. Therefore, your hair needs a few days to finish absorbing the pigments contained in the Wella toner. These are ultimately what will neutralize harsh colors.
But let’s see what would happen if you used shampoo and conditioner to rinse out Wella toner.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: How long does toner take to wash out? What to do when it’s washed out?
Why you shouldn’t rinse out Wella toner with shampoo and conditioner
Wella toner is used to neutralize harsh colors that appear in the hair after bleaching or even dyeing.
You apply the toner with developer, which opens the hair cuticles so the toner penetrates the hair fiber and attaches to the innermost layer of the hair, changing its color.
When you rinse your hair, the cuticles are still open. They haven’t had time to close completely.
So what do you think would happen if you use shampoo and conditioner to rinse out the Wella toner?
The shampoo, which is designed to remove dirt from the hair, would also remove the toner pigments, which have not yet finished settling in the hair. The conditioner, on the other hand, penetrates the hair to moisturize it.
But since you applied the toner, your hair is already full of color.
Therefore, if you apply shampoo and conditioner , your hair will become saturated. It can’t absorb shampoo, conditioner, and toner pigments at the same time. It would start to expel the color from the Wella toner.
What will be the result?
Your hair will appear dull and lackluster, and what’s worse, those harsh colors will still be there. It will be as if you never applied the Wella toner.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: The toner didn’t work on my orange hair, what can I do?
So, let’s make things easy.Once the time you should leave the Wella toner in your hair is up, to rinse out the toner simply use COLD WATER, and let it run through until it’s clear.
When to use shampoo and conditioner to wash your hair after applying Wella toner
A few days after applying Wella toner, you will probably want to wash your hair. I recommend you wait at least three days . This way the toner will have finished settling in your hair.
On the first wash after the toner application, you can wash your hair with your usual shampoo and conditioner.
However, if you want the effect of the toner to last even longer on your hair, follow these tips.
- Alternate using your regular shampoo and conditioner with a toning shampoo. I recommend using a toning shampoo at least once a week.
- Always wash your hair with cold water to avoid losing color through open cuticles.
- I suggest you use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner which won’t fade the color of the Wella toner.
- Wash your hair a maximum of three times a week. If you wash your hair more frequently, you’ll fade the toner color and dry out your hair.
- Moisturize your hair with natural oil masks, such as coconut or argan oil.
Once the time you should leave the Wella toner in your hair is up, rinse it out using only cold water until the water runs clear.
Three days after you’ve applied the toner, you can use shampoo and conditioner to wash your hair. It’s always a good idea to use both shampoo and conditioner that are sulfate-free to protect the color of your toned hair.