- The sun always lightens dyed hair, whether colored blonde or dark. The UV rays fade the color of the dye and lighten it.
- Therefore, if you don’t want the sun to lighten your dyed hair, you should apply hair sunscreen half an hour before exposing your hair to the sun. Then, reapply every two hours. It’s also essential to protect your hair with a hat.
- Suppose you want to use the sun to lighten the color of your color-treated hair. In that case, you can use a lightening product like SUN BUM or blend moisturizing shampoo and a 10-volume developer or a clarifying shampoo and coconut oil. I’ll tell you all the details.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Why does my dark brown hair look red in sunlight?
Does hair dye lighten after a few days and washes?
Yes, dyed hair gets lighter in the sun. Unfortunately, in the 21st century, ultraviolet rays are becoming more harmful every day to the skin and to colored hair.
While two hundred years ago, colored hair also became lighter in the sun, nowadays it is “mandatory and essential” to protect colored and uncolored hair from the aggression of ultraviolet rays.Colored hair becomes lighter in the sun and loses moisture and nutrients.
When that happens, your hair weakens.
Unfortunately, the fact that the sun damages our hair color and skin is also our responsibility.
We live as if Earth were eternal; the rivers won’t dry up, the forests and jungles won’t disappear, and our actions have no consequences for the planet.
But the truth is that there’s no other home to go to. Our planet is the only home we have. There’s no planet B.
It’s like your hair. It’s the only one you have, and if you don’t protect it from ultraviolet rays, the color of your dyed hair will get lighter and you could also dry it out and weaken it.
So, without wasting any more time, let’s see what you can do to protect your color-treated hair from the sun.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Why is My Black Hair Turning Brown? What Can I Do?
How to prevent the sun from lightening colored hair
The first thing I advise you do is to choose a good sunscreen for your hair. You can go for some of these brands:
- SEVEN RINZU COVER, anti-fading UV filter.
- COOLA ORGANIC, water resistant for up to 80 minutes and SPF 30.
- MOROCCANOIL PROTECT & PREVENT SPRAY.
Remember to apply it before sun exposure and renew it every two hours.
I also recommend you protect your hair with a hat, bandana, or scarf. You can choose the option that best suits your style and gather your hair in a ponytail or bun to protect it from the heat, humidity, and sand.
Also, after swimming, rinse your hair with tap water to remove salt or chlorine, which are also elements that lighten color-treated hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Products to protect hair from the swimming pool chlorine
If you want to lighten your dyed hair, you can use some specific products. And that’s what I’ll tell you about next.
The safest method to lighten colored hair with the sun
I hope you read it carefully. I mean “safer methods” which isn’t the same as “completely safe methods.”
Why do I make this difference?Any of these methods contain ingredients that can dry out the hair. If you add the UV rays, I think it’s all said and done.
If you want to lighten your dyed hair with the sun, you should also take care to apply moisturizing masks at least once a week. This way, you make sure to restore the moisture and nutrients lost during sun exposure.
Let’s go through the options.
SUN BUM Lightening
This product is ideal for lightening some sections of your color-treated hair, such as the contour of the face for example, or for color fading at the ends.
SUN BUM contains lemon juice and peroxide, so after applying it to your hair and exposing it to the sun, you can lighten your color-treated hair one level. Remember to protect your skin during sun exposure.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: TAMBIÉN TE PUEDE INTERESAR: Does Sun Bum hair lightener work on dark hair?
10-volume developer and moisturizing shampoo blend
- Add half a 60 ml bottle of a 10-volume developer to one moisturizing shampoo.
- Close the container and blend.
- Wash your hair with the blend leaving it on for five minutes.
- Rinse and dry your hair in the sun. You’ll notice that your color-treated hair will be lighter after two or three applications.
Use this shampoo up to twice a week, and remember to apply a moisturizing mask once a week.
When choosing a moisturizing shampoo, ensure it contains keratin, coconut oil, argan oil, flax oil, or hydrolyzed proteins.
Blend a clarifying shampoo and coconut oil
The clarifying shampoo will fade the color of your color-treated hair and lighten it. The coconut oil will add moisture.
- Add two or three tablespoons of coconut oil to 50 ml of clarifying shampoo. Blend until a homogeneous mixture is formed.
- Wash your hair with the mixture, leaving it on for five minutes.
- Rinse and apply conditioner.
- Rinse and dry your hair in the sun.
Use this blend up to twice a week.
Color-treated hair always lightens in the sun because UV rays fade the color of the dye. If you don’t want your color-treated hair to fade, apply sunscreen every two hours before exposing your hair to the sun.