- Olaplex 3 should be used once a week.
- If your hair is very damaged, you can use it two or three times a week.
- Although this is the frequency suggested by the manufacturer, you should evaluate the condition of your hair periodically to decide if once a week is enough for your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I use Olaplex 3 after coloring my hair? Is it safe, or will it strip hair color?
“Miracle!” “A ten!” “Magic in a bottle!” “Amazing!”
All these expressions are what most of my clients use to describe the results of Olaplex 3. It really is an excellent hair repair product designed for home use.
However, I noticed that many of my clients had to adjust the frequency of use suggested by the manufacturer’s instructions.
Olaplex is a three-step treatment.
I’ll take a moment to explain what Olaplex is before I go on to talk about the frequency of use for step 3.
Hair is made of keratin proteins that are held together by bonds called disulfides. Those bonds give your hair strength.
During coloring, bleaching, or the use of heat tools, those bonds can break.
That’s where Olaplex comes in. Due to its patented formula, it re-binds the bonds broken during chemical processes. .
The manufacturer recommends using Olaplex 3 once a week on hair that underwent steps 1 and 2.
Therefore, if you applied Olaplex 1 and 2, your hair will be much healthier than hair that didn’t receive the treatment.
Then, you’ll only need to apply Olaplex 3 once a week to continue the previous steps. .
What if you didn’t apply Olaplex 1 and 2. Should you use Olaplex 3 more frequently?
If your hair is very damaged, you should use Olaplex 3 two or three times a week. All three steps contain the same super-secret key ingredient but in different doses.
Step 3 is designed to keep hair strong and healthy between one coloring process and the next.
That’s why some of my clients had to adjust the frequency of use.
- For example, Natalie, who bleaches her hair quite frequently and always applies steps 1 and 2 in the salon, uses Olaplex 3 once a week.
- On the other hand, Susan, who flat irons her hair three times a week, uses Olaplex 3 twice a week. Her hair is more damaged by the abuse heat tools.
How do you know how often to use Olaplex 3?
- I recommend you start using it once a week. If the texture, elasticity, and shine of your hair improve, it’s correct.
- If after applying Olaplex 3 for a week, you notice that the frizz doesn’t improve, (when you touch it, it feels rough and looks dull and lifeless), increase the frequency of use to twice a week.
Now, it’s also important to use Olaplex 3 the right way. Unbelievably, it has its secrets. Do you want to know what they are? Read on.
How to use Olaplex 3 the right way
Unbelievably, from my conversations with clients in the salon, I’ve discovered two big mistakes some women make when using Olaplex 3.
- Some women think that Olaplex 3 is a leave-in conditioner.
So, they leave it in their hair because they think they’ll get more benefit out of it that way. And they don’t.
First, Olaplex 3 is not a conditioner. It should be removed from the hair after the manufacturer’s recommended exposure time. It’s a maximum of thirty minutes.
Olaplex is a bond rebuilder that binds broken bonds before, during, and after chemical processes.
We all need moisture in our hair, but Olaplex 3 does something different and unique. It doesn’t contain silicones or oils. It’s by no means a conditioning treatment.
It’s repairing: it rebuilds broken hair by reconnecting broken disulfide bonds.
Therefore, it must be removed by shampooing .
- Some women think they can leave Olaplex 3 in their hair overnight.
That’s another misconception unless you’re willing to get up every two hours to wet your hair. Do you know why?
Because Olaplex 3 is designed to be used exclusively on damp, towel-dried hair.
So, do you want to know how to use Olaplex 3?
- Wet your hair, towel dry, and detangle.
- Apply a large amount of Olaplex 3 from roots to ends, and leave it on for a minimum of 10 minutes and a maximum of 12 hours.
- Your hair should be damp while Olaplex is working. If you leave it on for a few hours and notice that your hair dries out, spray it with water. It’ll reactivate the Olaplex 3.
- Finally, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner, preferably Olaplex brand.
There are several things to consider to find out how often you should use Olaplex 3.
- If you have done steps 1 and 2, check the manufacturer’s recommendations that suggest using it once a week.
- If you didn’t apply steps 1 and 2, and you notice that your hair is very dehydrated, dull, or brittle, you can increase its use to 2 or 3 times per week.
Your hair health will have the final say. Remember to always use Olaplex 3 on wet hair to maximize its performance and effectiveness.