- No, highlights won’t fade after washing your hair.
- This is because when you got highlights, the bleaching removed the color from those strands of hair. And that change is permanent.
- Therefore, those highlights will only return to their natural color as the hair grows out.
- If you don’t like the color of your highlights, I’ll tell you later what options you have to fix it.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Does your hair go back to normal after highlights?
I’m sorry if this isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I can’t provide you with another one.
Because highlights don’t fade with washing.
And they won’t fade even if you wash your hair two or three times a day.
Why is that?
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Don’t Like My Highlights, I hate them! What can I do?
Because highlights are achieved by bleaching small strands of your hair. And bleaching is a process that permanently removes hair color.
That is, once you bleach your hair, that hair never returns to its natural color.
So, even if you wash your hair dozens of times, the highlights will still be there.
The only thing that will happen if you wash your highlights too often is that the color will become harsh. And I don’t think you want that, do you?
A harsh color is a glaring color, and it looks unnatural to the naked eye. It’s a color that’s more like the color of plastic wigs. And that’s what your highlights will look like if you wash your hair too often.
So you shouldn’t wash your hair too often. You won’t be able to fade your highlights. You will only succeed in ruining the highlighting technique, and you’ll dry out your hair.
So, beyond any reasonable doubt, there’s only one thing you can be sure of.
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY: How to darken highlights naturally? Should I go for it?
Highlights don’t fade or disappear after washing your hair
For highlights to fade or disappear, you have to wait for your hair to grow out . Forget about magic solutions and false promises.
Be careful. If you find a tutorial that tells you how to fade hair highlights with washing, don’t listen to it. Because you will only damage your hair and ruin the color of your highlights.
It’s a matter of common sense. When you bleached some sections of your hair to get highlights, you removed all the hair color from those strands. And that action can’t be undone by magic or washing with water.
What can happen if you wash your hair too often is that the color of your highlights becomes harsh.
This is because you may have put toner or dye in your hair to brighten the color of your highlights. However, if you wash your hair more than two or three times a week, the toner will fade and your highlights will appear harsh again.
So if you don’t like your highlights, is there anything you can do to fix it?
Yes, and that’s what I’ll talk about next.
Since your highlights won’t fade with washing your hair, what can you do?
First, you will need to identify what you don’t like about your highlights.
- If your highlights are too light , you can go to the salon to have the color of your highlights taken down a notch or two. Although your highlights won’t fade, you can achieve a darker color that’s closer to the rest of your hair.
- What if your highlights are too dark ? When you need to refresh them, you can bleach your hair again to achieve the blonde you want.
- If your highlights are orange-looking or yellowish , you can use a toning shampoo to eliminate the harsh colors. If your highlights are orange, use blue shampoo up to twice a week. And if your highlights are yellow, use violet shampoo up to twice a week.
- And if your highlights are too wide ? I recommend you see a professional to fix them. They can bleach all your hair to even out the color or apply another technique such as balayage to hide the width of the highlights.
- Lastly, what if your highlights are too fine ? You can apply a dye to cover them.
I recommend that if you make the decision to fix your highlights, go to a hair salon. Because a colorist will have the necessary knowledge to fix what you don’t like about the highlights, without damaging your hair.
No matter how many times you wash your hair, the highlights won’t fade. Why not? Because highlights are achieved by bleaching your hair. And that change to the structure of your hair is permanent.
If you don’t like your highlights, there are options available to fix them. But I recommend you go to a hair salon. The professional will be able to offer you different solutions, without putting your hair at risk.