Are you looking to bleach your hair and take it to a lighter tone, but without using chemical products?
There are many alternatives to bleaching hair naturally, but I should warn you that maybe the results won’t be as immediate as you hope.
And I know by experience.
I have brown hair. Medium-brown hair, not very light nor very dark.
And I started to get bored with my hair.
I tried everything. Pulling it back, straight, with curls, hats, scarves, and a never-ending amount of accessories.
However, I was still bored.
So, I started to see all of those fabulous images of girls on Instagram that changed their hair color from one day to another that look splendid.
I want to lighten my hair, but I don’t want to pay too high a price that afterwards I will regret.
With bleaching, you use very strong chemical products and also, if you do it at a salon, it can cost you a fortune.
Luckily, I have a naturalist friend. Yes, one of those people that think that you can find all the keys to happiness in nature.
Naturism is her life philosophy, so I decided to ask about a recipe to lighten my hair naturally.
Do you want to know what surprised me?
There is an incredible variety of natural products that can lighten your hair.
But the recipes cam accompanied with the recommendation of my naturalist friend, more than a recommendation, I would call it a declaration of principles.
Do you want to know what she said?
“Dear Gaby: here, I’m sending you some of my best recipes to lighten your hair naturally. But you should know something. Nature takes time. Nothing that exists in nature is produced overnight. The butterfly has to be a caterpillar before becoming a butterfly. The sea is a drop before turning into waves. The eucalyptus is a seed before it turns into one of the tallest trees in the world. Nature responds, if and when you respect its time.”
Do you understand the message?
All of these natural recipes will help you bleach your hair, but maybe it’ll take a few weeks, or even months, depending on the color that you are going from and the one you want to go to.
But the pay off will be enormous.
Because you hair will be lighter, it will be healthier, and in harmony with nature.
That’s why, I will share with you these natural and homemade remedies to bleach your hair.
Do you want to know which I used?
I’ll tell you at the end.
Lighten your hair with lemon juice
Lemon juice is one of the best natural whiteners for your hair. It helps to lighten the color of your hair as long as there is enough heat to draw open the cuticle of the hair and allow the lemon juice to penetrate the strand of the hair.
- 1 cup of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup of warm water, if your hair is normal, or ¼ cup of conditioner if your hair is dry
- 1 spray bottle
- For normal hair, pour the ingredients in the spray bottle and shake it. If your hair is dry, mix the ingredients in a bowl until they are well mixed.
- Spray or apply, according to the consistency, the mixture in your hair until it is completely saturated.
- After, sit for an hour or two with your hair exposed to the sun.
- After, wash and condition your hair.
You should repeat the process at least once a week until you get the results that you want.
Honey and vinegar
Both honey and vinegar have whitening properties that help lighten. This method will help you lighten your hair at least a tone.
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- 1 towel or shower cap
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Apply this mixture to your hair until it is completely saturated.
- Wrap your hair in a towel or shower cap and let it sit all night.
- In the morning, wash your hair with shampoo and condition it.
- Repeat the process once a week.
This ingredient is ideal for those that have brown hair and want to get some red highlights, since apple cider vinegar has whitening properties.
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 spray bottle
- Pour the water and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and shake to combine the ingredients.
- Spray the mixture over all your hair until it’s completely saturated with the liquid.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water.
- Repeat once a week until you get the desired effects.
Honey and olive oil
Honey is a great emollient as well as a whitening agent. When it is used together with olive oil, it helps condition and lighten the hair.
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 bowl
- Mix the ingredients well until they are perfectly mixed.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and expose your hair to the sun for at least an hour.
- Wash and rinse your hair.
- Complete the procedure at least twice a week.
Chamomile is a good lightening agent. This solution is ideal for those that want to get some subtle highlights in their light brown hair.
- 1 cup of recently made chamomile tea
- 1 spray bottle
- Prepare the chamomile tea and let it cool off.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray it on your hair.
- Soak your whole head or in individual sections if you are looking for highlights and sit in the sun.
- Wait 30 minutes with the solution in your hair.
- Wash with shampoo and condition your hair.
- Repeat once or twice a week until you get the results you want.
Cinnamon lightens your hair in addition to nourishing it since it contains antioxidants that prevent damage to your hair.
- ½ cup of your regular conditioner
- ½ cup of ground cinnamon
- Combine half a cup of conditioner with the cinnamon until you get a thick paste.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and let it sit for approximately 3 or 4 hours. Optionally, you can let the mixture sit in your hair overnight.
- Wash your hair with shampoo.
- Repeat the process at least once a week until you get the results you want.
If you have dark blonde hair or light brown hair, rhubarb is ideal to lighten your hair. In addition, it contains oxalic acid which will help you permanent lighten your hair for longer in your hair.
- 1/4 cup of chopped rhubarb.
- 2 cups of water
- Boil the rhubarb in two cups of water.
- Strain the water and wait until it cools.
- Once it has cooled, apply the solution to your hair, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Don’t leave the mixture in your hair for longer, because the rhubarb can make your hair turn into a mazacote.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and condition.
- Apply it once a week until you get the desired effects.
Doesn’t it seem incredible that all these natural elements are effective for lightening your hair?
The truth is, I never could have imagined it.
Do you want to know which one I chose?
I chose the vinegar.
The first weeks that I applied this natural product, I could see a few red highlights appear in my hair.
I loved the effect, so I continued this method for a month and a half.
My hair now is a red brown that I love.
But as you can read, it takes time. Time and patience, but I was able to lighten my hair without needing to use chemicals that can dry it out and damage it.
My friend also gifted me a saying that I want to share with you, “People think that patience is passive, and it isn’t. Patience is active because it is concentrated force.”
Which of these natural methods will you use to bleach your hair?