- To darken bleached hair with toner, the first thing you have to consider is the bleach level you reached during the process. Keep into consideration that if you start from very dark hair, you’ll reach a darker blonde.
- So if your bleached hair is blonde 6 or 7, you should darken it with a blue toner.
- Alternatively, if your bleached hair is blonde 8 or 9, you can darken it with a purple toner.
You won’t be the first or the last to be disappointed after bleaching your hair and finding the resulting color is too bright or flashy.
In that case, your new mission in life is to darken your bleached hair.
Of course, the idea is to darken it without losing the blonde shade you’ve achieved with bleaching. Otherwise, what would be the point?
At that stage, the most reliable solution is toner.
However, there’s a new dilemma: Which toner to use?
Your choice should always be a blue or purple toner.
Because the toner will neutralize the predominant colors in your bleached hair. It’ll even out the color and darken it at the same time.
- In both blonde 6 and 7 of, the orange color predominates. So, if you use blue toner, you’ll neutralize the orange and get ashy color.
- Alternatively, yellow predominates in blond 8 and 9. So, purple toner will also give you less intense ashy color.
Darkening bleached hair with toner isn’t impossible. However, there are still a few things to keep in mind.
So let’s start with those who, thanks to bleaching, have managed to reach blonde 6 or 7.
Tabla de Contenidos
You should use blue toner to darken hair that turned orange after bleaching
Why does toner work to darken bleached hair?
If you have a very dark base color and you bleach it, orange tones appear. The reason is that as you move away from darker colors, those unwanted tones begin to appear.
So, the blue toner will neutralize the orange by turning it into an amazing ashy color. Therefore, you’ll see it darker. Do you still have doubts?
Let’s look at another example that has nothing to do with hair but will help you understand the concept.When we talk about darkening the hair, we’re actually talking about eliminating the bright colors that seem to lighten it too much.
You probably have several nail polishes in your house. I’m also sure that some of them are “matte” and others are “satin”.
However, both have a glossy finish.
Now, if you look at them closely, you’ll notice that a “matte” polish looks darker, even though it’s the same color as a satin polish. Why?
Because since the “matte” polish isn’t satin, it’s less intense.
The same happens when you apply a blue toner to turn your hair ashy. When the orange loses intensity, your bleached hair will look darker.
So, all you have to do now is choose the toner you’ll use. Recommended brands?
- Schwarzkopf Blondme Steel Blue
- Wella Color Charm T18
- Pravana Chromasilk Blue Ash
They’re easy to apply, but you should pay special attention to exposure times to prevent your hair from ending up blue.
You’ll also need a 20-volume developer to apply it.
Here’s the list of materials:
- Blue toner
- A 20-volume developer
Now let’s see the step by step:
- Comb your hair and separate it into sections.
- In a plastic container, mix the toner and the 20-volume developer.
- Apply the toner to your hair from roots to ends, cover each section of your hair with a shower cap, and leave it on for 15-20 minutes.
- YOU MUST MONITOR YOUR COLOR CONSTANTLY because you can remove the toner when the orange is gone.
- Rinse your hair with plenty of water. You can use shampoo and conditioner.
Now, look at your hair. You discovered the colorimetric secrets that allowed you to darken your bleached hair with toner!
How to darken hair to shade 8 or 9 with toner
If you’ve bleached your hair and you’re now a light blonde 8 or a very light blonde 9, you’ll need to apply a purple toner to darken it because the predominant color is yellow.
How did you get to that color?
By means of the color chart:
- Black 1 to brown 4 are dark colors, and the predominant pigmentation is brown/red.
- Light brown 5 to blonde 7 are medium colors, and the predominant pigmentation is reddish/orange.
- Light blonde 8 to extra light blonde 10 are light colors, and the predominant pigmentation is orange/yellow
So, when you lift to high blonde 8 or 9, you should apply a purple toner to remove the intensity.
Still, don’t worry because the purple toner won’t change your blonde shade. If you have a bleach level 9, your hair will still be blonde 9. It’ll only look darker because you decrease the intensity of the yellow undertone.
The toners you could apply for this are:
- Wella Color Charm T10
- Fanola T.021
- Schwarzkopf Blondme Toner Ice
If you don’t want to use toner because you’re afraid you may not be careful enough with the exposure times, you can use purple shampoo. Just remember that it’ll take longer to darken your bleached hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Is purple shampoo a type of toner? A foolproof guide to hair toning like pro
If your choice is to darken your hair with toner, here are my suggestions.
- You can apply the toner to dry or damp hair
- Set a timer so you don’t exceed the exposure time
- Have your shampoo handy to remove the remaining toner from your scalp
If you follow these steps, the application will be a success.
If you want to darken your bleached hair with toner, the first thing to consider is the bleach level you achieved.
It’ll help you to neutralize the orange or yellowish tones that give your hair a darker feel.