- Purple shampoo doesn’t lighten or darken black hair.
- It won’t give purple highlights to your black hair either.
- Black hair has very intense and strong pigments that can’t be covered by the pigments in purple shampoo.
- If you want to lighten your black hair without bleaching it, you can use a lightening shampoo. I’ll tell you how to do it later.
- And if you want to achieve subtle purple highlights in your black hair, you can use a semi-permanent purple hair dye.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: What does purple shampoo do on colored black hair? And on naturally black hair?
Purple shampoo has no effect on black hair: it doesn’t lighten or darken it.
It won’t even give you subtle purple tones.
And the reason is very simple: purple shampoo only works on yellow or light hair.
So, if you were planning to apply purple shampoo to lighten or darken your mane, or maybe give it a slight purple hue, forget it!
Purple shampoo doesn’t contain any chemicals that wear out the color. Instead, it neutralizes the brassiness in blonde hair.
Therefore, you’ll have to think about other alternatives to lighten your black hair or add some purple tones to it.
Let’s start with the first option.
If you want to lighten your black hair without bleaching it, use a lightening shampoo
Black is the darkest color on the scale. You must use an oxidizing product such as peroxide or a developer to lighten it.
Now I must be honest. Lightening shampoos will only wear out the color of your black hair.
In other words, you won’t go from black to blonde hair.
You could prepare a homemade lightening shampoo with developer and use it every three weeks to wear out the black eventually.
Some people also call it hair gloss.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Bleach bath hair 8 pros and cons that you should know before doing it
You shouldn’t do it every day! Although lightening shampoos are less damaging than bleaching, they contain a developer. The developer is a chemical ingredient that strips hair of moisture and nutrients.
Are you ready to lighten your black hair?
Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- A 20-volume developer.
- Moisturizing shampoo and moisturizing conditioner.
The shampoo and conditioner will repair the damage from the hair gloss. Try to use a shampoo with essential oils such as coconut, argan oil, or keratin.
The ratio for the lightening shampoo are two parts shampoo to one part developer.
- If your bottle of developer contains 20ml, you should use 40ml of shampoo.
- If your bottle of developer contains 100ml, you should use 200ml of shampoo.
This way, you’ll slightly lighten your hair. You could even cover with dye if you don’t like the result.
How do you apply it?
- Wet your hair with warm water and let it run to open your cuticles.
- Apply the lightening shampoo from roots to ends. Massage the lengths where the color is most concentrated.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes. Massage every 3 to 4 minutes to keep the color even.
- Rinse with plenty of lukewarm water to remove all traces of the lightening shampoo.
- Apply conditioner all over your hair for three minutes to moisturize it.
- Rinse your hair with cold water to close the cuticles.
- Air dry your hair.
Remember that you must wait for three weeks to repeat the process to avoid severe hair damage.
If you want to give your black hair purple tones, you can use a violet semi-permanent hair dye
What’s the difference between purple shampoo and semi-permanent hair color?
The difference is that the semi-permanent dye has more coloring strength than the purple shampoo. However, it won’t change the color of your black hair. Instead, it’ll give it slight purple tones.
The semi-permanent dye isn’t applied with a developer. Therefore, it won’t change the natural color of your hair. It’s simply deposited as a film of color that gradually fades with washes.
- Choose the semi-permanent purple hair color you like the most. You can choose MANIC PACNIC or ARCTIC FOX among others.
- On your clean, dry hair, apply the semi-permanent hair color.
- Leave it on for 40 to 60 minutes so that the color adheres to your hair.
- Rinse with cold water until it runs clear.
- Comb and dry as usual.
You’ll notice that your hair is still black, but with a subtle purple tone. Also, semi-permanent hair dyes are formulated with moisturizing agents that don’t damage the hair.
They last for approximately 12 washes.
Purple shampoo won’t lighten black hair. It won’t darken it either because black is the darkest color.
If you want to achieve purple tones in your black hair, you can use a violet semi-permanent hair dye. And if you want to lighten your black hair without bleaching it, you can use a lightening shampoo.