- Yes! You need to wait 3 days to wash your hair after keratin.
- If you wash it before, you could ruin the treatment.
- If you already had the treatment and have an event where you’ll show off your hair, you can opt for dry shampoo.
- However, make sure you buy one that isn’t too aggressive, as it could also sweep away the keratin treatment.
- In this article, I’ll tell you what keratin is for, and give you 7 tips to care for and extend its duration.
If you want to go directly to the 7 tips to care for and extend your keratin treatment (and how to wash it after the 3 days), click here
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long does a keratin treatment last? Professional vs. home treatments
Did you have a keratin treatment and didn’t consider you had to leave your hair unwashed for several days?
You probably already feel dirty and can’t stand it anymore.
Alternatively, maybe you have a last-minute event for which you want to look your best. As your hair is dirty, it doesn’t look quite right. Am I right?
Maybe you’re just planning your next keratin treatment and want to know if there’s a way to avoid those 3 days without washing your hair.
You’ve come to the right place. This question is very common among my clients, but let me tell you that you’ll have to decide between 2 options:
- Ruin the keratin treatment by washing your hair.
- Wait 3 days before washing your hair to get your money’s worth for what you have invested in the keratin treatment.
I know this may not be good news for you, but read on and you’ll understand why it’s necessary to wait 3 days to wash your hair after keratin.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Can I wash my hair 24 hours after keratin treatment? What about 48 hours after?
What is keratin? Discover this magical product
Keratin is a protein naturally present in our body.
Specifically, it’s found in the superficial layers of the skin and in structures such as nails and hair fibers.
This protein is lost as the years go by, especially if you bleach, dye, dry, or iron your hair too often. So?
Lack of hydration causes the hair fiber to expand and open the cuticle. That way, the keratin is lost.
The long-term result of this keratin loss is porous, coarse, weak, frizzy, and lifeless hair.
However, keratin treatments restore your hair health, seal the cuticles, and restore lost moisture.
There are different types of keratin treatments.
To find out which one is best for your hair, you should visit your hairdresser.
However, all keratin treatments have something in common: after applying them, you must go 2 or 3 days without washing your hair.
This will depend on the product instructions, but you should always respect this time.
Otherwise, nothing assures you that the result will be what you expected.
Why is it necessary to wait 3 days to wash the hair after the keratin treatment? Because it takes time for the product to be absorbed
You may think it’s excessive to wait 3 days to wash your hair again, but you need to follow the instructions.
No matter how long you have been straightening your hair, the keratin needs time to absorb into the hair fiber.
This time can vary from 24 to 72 hours. But of course, we can’t know this with the naked eye. Therefore, it’s best to wait 3 days without washing your hair, even if it’s hard.
What’s the worst that could happen if I don’t wait 3 days and wash it?
- If you wash your hair less than 3 days after your treatment, the keratin may not be absorbed. After washing, you’ll eliminate the effects of the treatment. Your hair will be as if you hadn’t done any treatment.
- The second worst thing that can happen is that the treatment will last less time and you’ll have to repeat it sooner than you expected.
What can I do if I have to wash my hair?
Maybe you have to attend an event and it’s more important to look good than to take care of the keratin treatment. Life is full of surprises and anything can happen. So, what can you do?
If you have no choice but to wash your hair, then wash it.
Nothing serious is going to happen to you, but you won’t get the best result or the treatment will last less than it’s supposed to.
However, there is another option: you can use dry shampoo. It just absorbs the oiliness. But be careful. These shampoos can also sweep away keratin treatments.
So, before buying it, check how aggressive it is, and don’t abuse dry shampoo. Only use it for this special day.
7 tips to take care of your keratin treatment (and how to wash it after 3 days)
Keratin treatment care isn’t just about waiting those 3 days before washing your hair.
Maybe this is also bad news, and I don’t want to be the bearer of only bad news.
Actually, I want you to be able to wear your hair great for longer and not have to go through bad times. Here are 7 tips to take the best care of your keratin treatment:
- During the 3 days after applying keratin, you should try to keep your hair dry.
- Avoid activities that cause sweating, wear a bathing cap, and try not to go out in the rain without protection.
- After three days, use shampoo with neutral ph and without sulfates to avoid washing the effects and keep the cuticle closed.
- Use conditioner and masks that are designed for keratin treatments. This way, you’ll maintain the effects.
- Don’t expose your hair to the sun or chlorine. Always use sunscreen creams for your hair.
- Wash your hair as little as possible: the less you wash it, the longer the keratin treatment will last.
Conclusion: You should really wait 3 days to wash your hair after keratin, as this is the time it takes to be completely absorbed
As we have seen in this article, if you want to get the best results from your keratin treatment and extend its duration, you should follow the instructions.
As you know, nothing serious will happen if you do, but you could ruin your treatment.
If you must wash it, try to make a plan before the treatment and make sure you can go those 3 days without washing it. Maybe you can opt for days between Monday and Friday when you only have to see your co-workers, students, or people who see you every day.
It’s worth waiting the 3 days because after that you’ll have spectacular hair for months. Patience!