- If you apply a keratin treatment without heat, such as a serum or mask, you should leave it on for 45 minutes. After this time, wash your hair with lukewarm to cold water.
- If you apply a keratin treatment with heat, leave it on your hair for 20 to 30 minutes. Then, WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HAIR, seal the keratin with a hair dryer and straightener. If you wash your hair after leaving the keratin on, you’ll wash out the treatment.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Do I really need to wait 3 days to wash hair after keratin? Yes!
Are you about to apply a keratin treatment but don’t know how long to leave it in your hair before washing?
Since I’m not a fortune teller, I don’t know which type of keratin treatment you want to use. So I’ll cover the two types of keratin treatments available on the market.
Surprised? Yes, there are two types of keratin treatments.
- Non-heat keratin treatments . These are keratin-based products sold as masks or serums.
- Keratin treatments with heat . You put them in your hair, then seal them using heat from a blow dryer and straightener.
Let’s see how long you should leave keratin in your hair. It will depend on the type of keratin treatment you plan to use.
Leave keratin masks or serums in your hair for 45 minutes before washing out with warm to cold waterLeave keratin treatments that you apply to your hair as a mask or serum for 45 minutes. Then wash it out with warm to cold water to seal the hair cuticles.
If your hair is damaged or dry, this type of treatment repairs broken cuticles from chemical treatments such as coloring or bleaching.
Heatless keratin treatments help to rebuild these cuticles by providing protein to the core. They also help to retain moisture in the hair fiber.
How should you use them correctly to take advantage of all their benefits?
- Apply the keratin mask or serum to damp hair.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Leave the keratin in for 45 minutes.
- After this time, rinse your hair with warm to cold water. Then let your hair dry naturally.
If your hair is damaged, you can use these masks up to twice a week for a month.
Leave keratin treatments that use heat on your hair for 20 to 30 minutes and don’t rinse it out
Since these keratin treatments go deeper, you activate the keratin with the heat from a blow dryer and straightener.
You’d remove the whole treatment if you rinse your hair after using the keratin treatment.
Are you about to apply a keratin treatment at home? Let’s see how to do it correctly.
- Wash your hair with clarifying shampoo to remove all traces of hair products. Dry it naturally or with a blow dryer.
- Apply the keratin to your hair once it’s dry, distributing it evenly throughout. You can use a fine comb to help.
- Leave the keratin to work for 20 to 30 minutes. The time you should leave it on will depend on each manufacturer. So I recommend you carefully read the instructions. Generally, since home treatments are less concentrated, you leave them on longer than professional treatments.
- After this time, DO NOT WASH OR RINSE YOUR HAIR .
- Blow dry it using the highest temperature.
- When you finish drying your hair, pass a straightener between 12 and 20 times for each section of hair. That seals the keratin in your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO READ: Can I Straighten My Hair After Keratin Treatment, or do I risk ruining the treatment?
I want to clarify something.
Some keratin treatments that use heat should be rinsed out to remove excess product and seal faster. Unless your treatment instructions specify it, don’t rinse your hair.
Therefore, it’s essential to read the manufacturer’s instructions for use. You should usually wait 72 hours to wash your hair after applying the keratin treatment.
When you do wash your hair, you should use a sulfate-free shampoo or a shampoo containing keratin, such as NEXXUS KERAPHIX, formulated for keratin-treated hair.
Now you know how long you should leave keratin in before washing your hair. It depends on the type of treatment you use. Leave keratin treatments that use heat in your hair for 20 to 30 minutes, and don’t rinse them out.