- To fix missed spots from when you dyed hair, you’ll need to dye your hair again.
- And when you do it, you need to pay attention to two key points in the process: cover each strand of your hair completely with dye and leave it in your hair for the time indicated on your dye.
- But, you should also keep in mind that you can’t dye your hair again right away. And I’ll you more about that soon.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: Some Parts of My Hair Didn’t Dye, How Can I Fix it?
I’m not going to lie to you.
If when you dyed your hair, you missed spots, meaning that some parts of your hair ended up without color it’s because you made a mistake when you dyed your hair.
Does it have a solution?
Yes, we know that there aren’t many things in life that don’t have a solution.
But before you fix the missed spots in your hair from when you dyed it, it’s important to know two things:
- What mistake you made when you used the dye, and because of that, why you missed spots in your hair.
Because if you know what happened, the next time you dye your hair, there won’t be any areas of your hair that you miss with the dye.
That way, you can get an even coverage without any missed areas.
- If you don’t have any experience with coloring your hair , it’s best for you go to a professional hair colorist.
Because if you used a permanent dye, your hair went through chemical processing, because this kind of dye uses developer and contains ammonia.
And because of that, your hair lost moisture and some nutrients.
If you use a new dye immediately, you might hurt your hair.
So, my advice as a professional stylist is to go to a salon to fix the missed spots that were left after dyeing your hair.
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN: How long should you wait to dye your hair again with box dye?
Because a professional colorist will be able to evaluate your hair’s health and could offer some alternatives to protect it when you use the second dye.
One of those options could be, for example, OLAPLEX, a product designed specifically to be used when applying chemicals to your hair like coloring or bleaching it.
They’re professional tools that protect your hair during the application of chemical products.
If you can’t or don’t want to go to the salon, it’s best to wait at least 15 days before using the dye again.
And during those 15 days, you need to do intensive nutrition treatments to strengthen your hair before using the dye to cover the missed spots.
While you make the decision, let’s start by understanding what happened to your hair.
Tabla de Contenidos
Why are there missed spots after dyeing your hair?
I always recommend to my clients that if they have time, they should go to a salon to dye their hair.
Professional hair colorists study many years to learn how to get even, brilliant and long-lasting color when dyeing your hair.
But, I also understand that there often isn’t enough time or money to go to a salon.
So, let’s go back in time to the moment when you dyed your hair and try to remember…
- How long did it take you to dye your hair?
- Did you have all the tools you need to dye your hair correctly?
- Did you dye it by yourself? If so, did you use mirrors to make sure you covered all of your hair with dye?
I’m sure that you’re already guessing about what might have happened to cause the missed spots based on your answers.
First, time is one of the main factors. Dyeing your hair isn’t something that you can do in just five minutes.
You should take your time to cover each and every strand of your hair.
And, how long did you leave the dye in your hair?
How long you leave the dye in your hair is key. In general, most dyes recommend leaving them in your hair for 45 minutes.
And you should leave it in your hair for the full 45 minutes, starting from the moment you finished using the dye.
It’s also important to have all of the tools you need for the color process. And I don’t just mean the color kit.
When you dye your hair, you need gloves, towels and hair clips.
And, how many boxes of dye did you use? Because if your hair is long, you’ll need more than one color kit to dye it.
And lastly, if you dye your hair without the help of a friend of family member, you’re going to need several mirrors to help you apply the dye and make sure it fully covers your hair.
So, now that you’ve probably figured out what went wrong when you used the dye, let’s get to what’s most important.
How to fix missed spots and even out your color
If you decided to fix the missed spots in a salon, what comes next will help you avoid making any mistakes the next time you use a dye at home.
If you’re going to fix the missed spots on your own at home, let me remind you that you need to wait at least 15 days to be able to dye your hair again.
- Dye kit. Calculate the number of boxes of dye you’ll need based on how long your hair is.
- Plastic container
- Dye brush
- Old towels and tee shirt
- Comb and detangle your hair from root to ends with a brush or comb.
- Section your hair into four areas from your forehead to nape and ear to ear, clipping back each section of hair with a hair clip.
- Put the developer cream and tube of dye in a plastic container and stir the ingredients until they’re well mixed. I’d suggest not using the the provided tube to apply the dye because it’s easier to make sure you don’t miss any spots with a dye brush.
- Let down one of the back sections of your hair. Try to place a mirror in such a way that you can see if you’ve be able to completely cover each area. Separate your hair into small parts to distribute the dye from roots to ends.
- Repeat in each section of your hair.
- Once you’ve finished using the dye on your hair, leave it in your hair for the amount of time the indicated on the box. Usually it’s 45 minutes if it’s a permanent dye and a maximum of 30 minutes, if you’re using a semi-permanent dye.
- Once the time has gone by, rinse your hair with plenty of cold water. It’s important that the water runs clear to make sure you get rid of any leftover dye.
- Massage your hair under the water and use the post-color treatment provided, leaving it in for 3 minutes.
- Dry your hair with a towel to get rid of any excess water. I’d recommend letting your hair air dry.
If there are missed spots left when dyeing your hair, you need to dye it again. Because you probably didn’t cover your hair with the dye evenly or didn’t leave the dye in your hair for the right amount of time.
But it’s important to avoid using another dye on your hair the same day. If you don’t want to wait a minimum of 15 days to dye your hair again, see a professional.