Are you thinking of straightening your perm?
I’ve got some bad news for you.
Yes, just as you read it.
It doesn’t matter if you straighten your hair with keratin or flat iron or any other way.
Whichever method you choose, your hair will suffer the consequences.
I’m not here to be the devil’s advocate, but let’s be clear.You put your hair through a very, very difficult process to get those incredible curls, and now you want to go back to straight. You might as well be crazy.
If that’s the case, it would have been better to use a curling iron, and there you go.
I know it sounds tough, but for me, the most important thing is to advise you what is best for your hair.
Now, we are all human. And we make mistakes, or we don’t measure the consequences of our actions.
And I can assure you that I understand.
- Maybe you thought that your hair would have more volume with a perm, but you didn’t think about the hours you need to style your hair.
- Or maybe the stylist made a mistake, and instead of soft beach waves, she left you with ringlet curls that gave you an unpleasant look.
- Or maybe you miss your straight hair.
Well, I’m not as bad as I look. But in life, there’s always a bit of good and bad.
I’ve already given you the bad. A good challenge so that you learn to care for your hair.
And the good, I’ll tell you that below.
Because I will tell you two less aggressive ways to straighten a perm and avoid starting the long road towards hair loss which sometimes has no return.
So, today, I will tell you:
- The less aggressive ways to straighten your hair with a perm
- How to care for your hair before and after a perm
Whatever the decision is that you’ve made, remember this.
TO STRAIGHTEN YOUR PERM YOU SHOULD WAIT UNTIL AT LEAST A MONTH AFTER THE DAY OF APPLICATION
It doesn’t matter if you hate your curls. It doesn’t matter if your little brother calls you corkscrew.
To straighten your hair, you should wait at least a month.
Having said that, and I hope it’s stuck really well in your brain, let’s get started.
Tabla de Contenidos
How to straighten a perm with the least amount of damage possible
I want to believe that before you straighten your curls, you will have intensively cared for your hair.
Because if not, nothing will be the same again. You can straighten your hair; instead, you will get opaque hair, broken with a lot of frizz.
Do you want to know what the least aggressive method is?
It generally has a long, black body, and it leaves flashes of heat where it passes by. What is it?
Very Good, you guessed it. The flat iron!
Straighten your hair with the flat iron
Yes, I know. It can be a bit disappointing because it isn’t a permanent solution.
But if you straighten your permed hair with the flat iron, your hair will suffer a lot less because you won’t be using chemicals to change the hair’s internal structure.
Of course, always remember to use a heat protectant to reduce the damage from the heat.
Also, if your hair is very healthy, you can dry it first with a hairdryer and diffuser while stretching your curls with a comb.
After, arm yourself with patience.
- It’s not about simply using the flat iron. Remember that you have done a permanent curling treatment.
- You should divide your hair into small sections, no bigger than 1.5 centimeters, and pass the flat iron over each one, applying soft pressure.
- I recommend that you start straightening the pieces closest to the base of the head.
This is the least aggressive method to get your perms straight.
Of course, as soon as you wash your hair, your curls will come back.
What can happen if you straighten your hair two or three times weekly is that the curls will slowly stretch out.
But understand that they will never completely disappear until the effect of the perm wears off.
Now, let’s go to the next method.
A perm kit.
No, I’m not crazy. A perm kit, in this case, will be used very differently.
Straighten your hair with an at-home perm kit
Before explaining this method, I want to make something clear.
After using this kit, your hair will probably be dry.
So I recommend that you go to a salon to get a professional deep moisturizing treatment.
You will only need to use the perm solution and neutralizer that comes in the kit.
This time, you won’t use the rods since you are trying to eliminate the curls.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo, dry it softly with a towel, and divide it into four to six sections.
- Then, using gloves, start to apply the perm solution while you comb each section of the hair as you apply the solution.
- Always use a wide-toothed comb.
- Once you have finished applying the solution to your whole head, continue combing the hair straight for about 10 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, rinse the hair with plenty of hot water. When I say hot, I mean as hot as you can stand without burning yourself.
- Dry your hair with a towel and apply the neutralizer to the hair the same way you applied the previous solution.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse it out again with hot water.
Once you’ve finished this whole process, you will see that your curls are much more stretched out, almost completely so.
Whichever method that you choose, you should prepare your hair for the before and after.
And this should be just as important and how to stretch the curls from your perm.
How to care for your hair before and after straightening your perm
Surely after doing the perm, you will have cared for your hair to get back the moisture lost during the process.
This will make it stronger so it can deal with the straightening that I told you about earlier.
What I recommend is that the day before, whether you are using the straightener or the perm kit, you do an overnight treatment with coconut oil.
It’s not a science, and it deeply penetrates the hair, nourishing it and giving it extra moisture.
Now, the most serious part comes after doing the straightening because your hair will be dry.
And you will need a lot of hydration.
Because in a short time, you have decided to do two processes that include chemicals, and unless your hair is made of steel, like Superman’s muscles, it will be at least a little bit dry.
Do you want me to be honest?
Don’t think badly of me! It’s NOT because I want to gain clients. I recommend this for your hair. Also, I’m writing for women from all around the world.
My interest is in the health of your hair.
Can’t pay for a treatment like Olaplex?
Check out other cheaper treatments but that get your hair into the hands of professionals.
Because it’s better to prevent than to treat.
So, do you want to hear my conclusions?
- If you feel that straightening your perm is a matter of life and death, try it out with the flat iron.
- If you feel that straightening your perm depends on the most important thing in your life, try the perm kit.
- But if you think that you can live without straightening it, and you can wait until it fades away over the months, do it.
Ultimately, what did you decide?